X

Upgrade from a Katana to a _______?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from a Katana to a _______?

Does anyone know any other bikes out there that are similar to the Katana, to serve as an upgrade. I want to move on to a bigger bike, but I love the Katana, so I want something similar (with a comfortable seat). I am not looking for a new bike, and wanted to stay in the 5-6 grand range. Between 750 and 900cc, might consider up to 1000cc.

I know I saw a post in here before with some nice potential candidates, but I can't seem to find it.

Thanks

A Hayabusa

Comment

What do you want to do with it, and why do you want to "upgrade?"
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Yamaha FZ1

This bike looks pretty cool. Some fairings would be nice.

Originally posted by thetable View Post
        What do you want to do with it, and why do you want to "upgrade?"
        I just like riding (sometimes with my gf on board), wanted something newer, nicer, more powerful, fuel injected. My usual trip will be 10-20 miles, the farthest I'll go is 80 miles to the Jersey shore.

Any suggestions?
        Last edited by smokeyob; 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

maybe a honda interceptor if you are into single sided swingarms
          Let's go riding!

Comment

What about a Honda Interceptor VFR 800, its got a big seat and windshield, but still very sporty

Comment

hah, beat you to it rob
              Let's go riding!

Comment

There are Katana 1100's but they are rare...you could go with something like a Bandit 1200..or like Arsenic said a Hayabusa...VStrom 1000...
                Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
                Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Bandit 1250 (you should be able to find an 07 in that range.)
                  03+ SV
                  03+ 'Strom
                  00-01 VFR800 reputedly more rideable than the 02+ models. Pre 00 models were carbed.
                  02+ VFR800 has high maintenance costs for valve adjustments (the VTEC nearly doubles the amount of time involved in doing a valve adjustment, and sometimes is skipped by shops), but seeing the number of miles you are riding, that probably wouldn't be too much of a concern.
                  Buell - any of the XB bikes. (I couldn't be a Buell rider and not try to pimp them.) They get hot in traffic, they shake like an epileptic at idle, don't make huge horsepower numbers, but damn are they fun to ride.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...00%20%2005.htm

Comment

IMHO, suitable upgrades should have wind protection, decent riding position, and enough muscle to get the job done (the "muscle" part is on the individuals basis).

I can share with you where my taste is and that's about it:

Honda CBR1100XX
                      Hayabusa
                      Katana 1100 (Be sure of it's condition)
                      mid 90's Kawasaki GPZ1100 / ZX1100 (Be sure of it's condition)
                      Big Bandits
                      FZ1000 (I like the earlier models)
                      The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

But he mentioned wanting fuel injection, which would rule out I believe all but the last couple years of the Blackbird, all the Katanas and I believe Bandits, the 80's and 90's FZ's. Kawi's first bike with efi wasl the 2000 ZX12R.
                        John,
                        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                          Bandit 1250 (you should be able to find an 07 in that range.)
                          03+ SV
                          03+ 'Strom
                          00-01 VFR800 reputedly more rideable than the 02+ models. Pre 00 models were carbed.
                          02+ VFR800 has high maintenance costs for valve adjustments (the VTEC nearly doubles the amount of time involved in doing a valve adjustment, and sometimes is skipped by shops), but seeing the number of miles you are riding, that probably wouldn't be too much of a concern.
                          Buell - any of the XB bikes. (I couldn't be a Buell rider and not try to pimp them.) They get hot in traffic, they shake like an epileptic at idle, don't make huge horsepower numbers, but damn are they fun to ride.
                          SV650 was do-able, as well as the VFR800. I found a great deal on an SV650 on craigslist, an '03 with 1500 miles, looks brand new.

I didn't like the Strom though. The Buell's are very interesting, I'll have to look into them some more.

Comment

Your budget is going to push you in one direction or another, I think. I just "upgraded" to the '00 VFR800. Absolutely love it. I've plan on running her stock for the season and then start working on some farkles next season. Corbin seat is probably first on my list.
                            "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Now that's an interesting bike. I'll have to research it.

I saw the new Z1000 on the Kawasaki website, too pricey for me, but used might work well. It seems it would be hard to find though.

Originally posted by KatriderJim View Post
                              Your budget is going to push you in one direction or another, I think. I just "upgraded" to the '00 VFR800. Absolutely love it. I've plan on running her stock for the season and then start working on some farkles next season. Corbin seat is probably first on my list.
                              What's your riding habits? Similar to mine? Have a passenger often?
                              Last edited by smokeyob; 05-27-2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X