No announcement yet.
X

Katana Down! need help / advice please!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Down! need help / advice please!

State: Virginia
    1999 katana 600

My katana was hit last week in my workplace parking lot. I was in my office when my coworker came in and told me that she hit my bike with her GMC Yukon. She was parked next to me, and hit the bike leaving her parking space right next to mine. She just swung out out of the spot. She cracked the left fairings, mirror, turn signal...then when the bike fell over on the right side she broke the pegs, dented my D&D, scratched the starter cover, bent the clip-on, broke the turn signal, broke the front brake lever, scratched the front wheel fairing, broke the right side fairing, under cowling, bar end, passenger handle, tank scratched, and damaged the right rear fairing to the point that the undertail screw clips are gone and cant hold "the shovel" flush with the rear fairings. All the new OEM parts came to about $4500 dollars including shipping and labor to install. I just got done putting $2000 worth of upgrades on the bike (D&D, ivans jet kit, ignition advancer, RK chain, Vortex sprocket kit, speedbleeders, new pads, valve job, carb clean, dyno tune, air filter, oil filter etc..only 60 days ago). The ladies insurance company "Nationwide" offered me $3200 dollars and to "Total" the bike and give me a salvaged title which will not allow me to ride the bike on the street, or take $2400 dollars for cosmetic damage and not have my Title affected...still be able to ride it on the street. The bike rides fine, mainly just cosmetic damage. Cant I get her insurance company or her to pay to fix the bike completely? Iam at 0% fault, so can I go after her for the rest, or just sue her for the entire balance? My bike was pristine before she hit it, so I just cant see the logic in me having to accept less money than it takes to fix the bike because it still rides the same. Any relevant experiences of information would be extremely helpful in me trying to figure out how to proceed.
    KATANA....It can cut through a tank!...no really! I saw it on the internet somewhere!

never ever ever settle for their first offer. they also may well be required to furnish a rental skoot. get one, the best you can. that will motivate them to settle as quick as possible as teh rental will cost them thru the nose while they try ripping you off. you have rights, exercize them.
    99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
    1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
    '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
    Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Without going to court (or atleast having a lawyer express the intention of doing so) your probably not going to get much more out of them.

Your best bet is to speak with lawyer, and determine if his prices are going to allow for you to actually gain anything.

A salvage title will greatly decrease the "resale" value of the bike btw.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

tell them to pay you $3500 and ask the co-worker to pay you 300-400 bucks because your losing out some money over all and go get a newer bike...and if your able to keep the bike part it out
        Last edited by H-2 CHARLIE; 05-27-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Their first offer is probably 80% of what they're authorized to give you. Push them for at least $4k if not $4200.

Then I'd take that cheque part out the bike and buy a new one rather than trying to deal with the salvage issue.
          Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

never accept the 1st offer as said before thats just them taking the chance that you will and they make out and pretty much if its totaled its totaled they still have to give you blue book for it or nada whichever they go by. If they are giving you that then not really sure what else you can do really. Seems like theres a lot of damage to your bike and thats really gona hurt you just ask em for 100 bucks less than they offered to total it and leave the title the way it is and run with the money. Thats what id do and prob get a new bike with it.

Comment

what they said....
              This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
              BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

o yea and you are 0% at fault as the bike was parked as long as you were between the lines then its not ur fault at all just had this happen to my fiance a couple weeks ago when a old lady hit her car.

Comment

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
                  never ever ever settle for their first offer. they also may well be required to furnish a rental skoot. get one, the best you can. that will motivate them to settle as quick as possible as teh rental will cost them thru the nose while they try ripping you off. you have rights, exercize them.
                  Which should include suing the driver for actual damages in parts as well as the labor necessary to get the bike to the way it was before the accident.

Comment

if theres anyone here that's an actual lawyer in your state i'd speak with them first . or pay for a consultation with one . sorry about your ride .

Comment

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
                      if theres anyone here that's an actual lawyer in your state i'd speak with them first . or pay for a consultation with one . sorry about your ride .

most consultations are free, just go talk to a lawyer.

Comment

Lawyer up!

Or tell them you'll see them in small claims court with a stack of receipts, if it falls under the small-claims-court cap.

Hope you were with it enough to grab a police report when it happened.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by darrell3535 View Post
                          salvaged title which will not allow me to ride the bike on the street
                          Not true: http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...ed_rebuilt.asp
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Man I am so sorry about your bike. I live in southwest virginia. Its not your fault. As a LEO here in VA I can tell you from what you said that you are not at fault. I personally would have a little talk with her insurance company. She is liable.

Comment

Working...
                            X