X

My Build-up (56K Beware)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Build-up (56K Beware)

Alright so some of you may have noticed my introduction post and this is basically a continuation/separation of that. I bought an 89 Katana 600 with 21,000 miles on the clock for 450 bucks. It ran like crap, didn't look too great, and was basically just sitting there doing nothing for years. So, my build process.

Here is what the bike looked like.

Here you can see the stay bracket misalignment

[Analysis-Cosmetic]
    The bike wasn't in great condition, rust on the chain guard, chain, and some other various locations and screws. The fairings had two cracks/chips and the frame was a little scratched up. The frame seemed to be in alignment, however the upper fairing stay bracket (the thing that holds your instrument cluster, headlight, etc.) was bent out of shape causing the front end of the bike, along with the fairings, to look weird. Other than that there wasn't really much to complain about...just rust, scratches in the fairings, a couple chips/cracks in the fairings, and a tear in the seat.

Extra crap I forgot about
    Forks are in great shape. Front headlight is cracked. Paint on gas tank under seat is peeling. Front fender scratched up. Tach doesn't work. Gas tank cap is cracked open because the original owner lost all the keys and replaced the ignition but not the cap and then decided it would be a good idea to just crack the lock.

[Analysis-Mechanical]
    The battery was deader than dead so I bought a new battery and installed it. Couldn't find the appropriate battery so I found one that fit and used it. Didn't really want to start but I finally got it running with some careful manipulation of the throttle/choke. It wouldn't idle without choke for long and was running very difficultly unless I opened the throttle. The rpms would dance up and down at idle. I rode the bike to ensure the transmission was in good order and it was smooth as silk. After adjusting the clutch a little the bike rode amazingly...and had quite a bit of power. The engine bogs down when you first get on the throttle as if it is being flooded but then spikes up with plenty of power. It backfires ones or twice on the way down but that's more of the vance & hines exhaust making cool noises than anything wrong.

Extra crap I forgot about
    Brakes are amazing, rear tire is crap (learned the hard way...but fairings weren't on the bike so the bike is fine.

[Work Log]

-Thursday 5/21 to Friday 5/22
    I removed the carbs and cleaned them biotches out. Pilot jets were clogged but finished that up and put everything back together. When I started the bike up the throttle cable had stuck on something so the engine scared the **** out of me with a rev at startup. Bike now idles properly but is still weak and dies with no choke after 10-20 seconds.

This night I finally got the idea to check the exhaust manifold...I found out that cylinder number 2 is not firing. Hoping it's the spark plugs or fouled plugs. Pretty sure it is not a major problem as the exhaust smells fine (a little rich) and there are no strange noises coming from the engine.

-Monday 5/25-
    Raining hard, can't work on the bike.

-Tuesday 5/26 to Wednesday 5/27-
    So on Tuesday I got a proper 18mm socket (still not a spark plug socket, but long enough to reach) and swapped out the spark plugs. Fired up the motor and now cylinders 2 AND 4 were not firing...perhaps they were not firing Sunday either and I just didn't realize it. Started messing with things and heard a pop when the throttle was above a certain point. Kept the throttle there and went back to check the manifold and tada...warm pipes. Really happy at this point as the other cylinders are now firing. I verified this by spraying a tiny bit of starter fluid in carbs 2 and 4 one at a time. The rpms raised both times so I'm pretty sure it's simply the carbs that simply need synchronized. Very slight though of spark plug wires being bad and not providing enough juice.

Anyway, decided to take off all of the plastics and take them into the workshop to paint them. I've never done any major paint work and I'm just using spray paint but I've heard you can get some pretty good results. These are junk fairings (beyond repairing) but I figure I can make them look nice till I get new ones (no money atm...just quit my job). I decided on a simply black/red color scheme. My basic painting procedure:
    --Sand the f out of the fairing
    --First primer coat
    --Wet sand to smooth out the coat
    --Second primer coat
    --Wet sand to smooth out the coat
    --First & Second color coat
    --Wet sand to smooth it out
    --Touch-up on any areas that need it
    --Wait overnight than clearcoat

I don't really care if the stickers aren't all the way off...if they don't come off with 160 grit they won't come off easily enough for me to care so I'm just painting over them. On the rear fairings I'm making the silver/white part red and the rest black so that needs some masking. So, pictures of the paintwork...

Nifty attachment to make spray painting a lot easier. Was only five bucks, figured why not.

Sandpaper

Left Fairing

Rear Fairings - They look orange because my cell phone camera took these...but they are bright red. Also, the half without the holes will be black tomorrow.

Right Fairing

So that's where I am now.

-Duo Maxwell
    Ride on, CyberPoet. You will be sorely missed.

Look good keep it up. gonna try my hand in painting

Comment

Nice work and good luck wit the rest of the build.

Not sure if you mentioned it but that right handlebar seems really bent outta shape.
      2002 GSXF 750

Comment

good luck,

Comment

Cosmetic is how it normally starts, then you start .....

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post

Not sure if you mentioned it but that right handlebar seems really bent outta shape.
            Come to think of it, it does look really bent in the picture. I didn't notice anything while I was at the bike so it might just be the angle. I'll go ahead and take a look today after I'm done spraying the clear coat.

Thanks...and good eye =P
            -Duo Maxwell

Comment

keep it up. it takes time but you will get there. i just finished mine. just dont rush yourself.

Comment

The fun part is doing the work and knowing that you did it yourself. When I rebuilt mine I did all the work except spray the paint. It took me about three months to get where I am now but it was well worth it. Now I know that I can totally tear down my bike (motor and all) and put it back together. Keep up the work. And keep a cool head>

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post

+1 Looks like the bar end is missing. Was it dropped on that side?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                    +1 Looks like the bar end is missing. Was it dropped on that side?
                    Not by me. I finished up the fairings last night and today I went to put them on the bike. They look really nice and I'll have some pictures up later on today. Regarding the handlebar...it's just the angle of the picture, the handlebar isn't bent. The bar end is in my trunk along with the mirrors, turn signals, and windshield. I started the bike today and it is running much better...all cylinders are firing with just a little bit of throttle...carburetors just need fine tuned.

The bike still isn't where I want it cosmetically.
                    -Clean and polish windshield
                    -Sand down any rust
                    -Get red and black fairing screws.
                    -Paint wheels red
                    -Paint grab bar red
                    -Paint frame red where you can see it through the frame
                    -Either realign or get a new upper stay bracket.

A couple questions,
                    1) I've read up on painting the wheels and most people say doing it with a rattlecan holds up pretty well. Go for it or powdercoat?

2) Is it feasible to realign the stay bracket? Or do I completely need a new one?

3) Is there any way to polish scratches out of the windshield? Just use finer and finer sandpaper and then buff/polish? Also, I have a helmet whose visor is scratched...can it be polished?
                    --I'm aware of most procedures for sanding and can google those...but I'm just wondering if it's worth time. i.e. Getting scratches out of glass is possible but takes a lot of time and doesn't produce good results.

Thanks,
                    -Duo Maxwell

Comment

As for the wheels, go powdercoat if you have the money. Paint can't even come close to comparing.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

that is true but the money cant compare either

Comment

Originally posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
                          A couple questions,
                          1) I've read up on painting the wheels and most people say doing it with a rattlecan holds up pretty well. Go for it or powdercoat?
                          Powder coat will look better, and hold up better. Some people also opt to strip and polish the wheels.

2) Is it feasible to realign the stay bracket? Or do I completely need a new one?
                          You can straighten it, and I've done it before. Use some vise grips and keep checking the alignment.

3) Is there any way to polish scratches out of the windshield? Just use finer and finer sandpaper and then buff/polish? Also, I have a helmet whose visor is scratched...can it be polished?
                          --I'm aware of most procedures for sanding and can google those...but I'm just wondering if it's worth time. i.e. Getting scratches out of glass is possible but takes a lot of time and doesn't produce good results.

Thanks,
                          -Duo Maxwell
                          There's a thread around here on polishing windscreens that mojoe posted.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Done painting the fairings and I mounted them to take a look. Looks pretty good for my first paint job...I oversprayed a little bit but I'll touch that up later. I also need to wet sand again and do a final polish to get the paint to be shiny. Oh...and I'll probably be doing the tank and the bottom fairing soon.

-Duo Maxwell
                            Last edited by Duo Maxwell; 05-30-2009, 01:03 AM. Reason: Wrong links for pics

Comment

The rust on your swingarm should sand/polish off pretty easily too.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X