X

Don't have a garage anymore

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't have a garage anymore

Due to $ reasons I've had to move to a new place that does not have a garage. Any tip or advice on keeping a Kat outdoors? Is it a matter of getting a good cover or is there more to it?

I'm in the same boat as you, soon to be moving away from my garage. I've got a cover and I went and bought a disc lock. I'm still thinking about getting an alarm. When I had my Kat I kept it outside all the time, with no lock or cover. Never had a problem with it running because of rain or weather, those things are tough as nails.

I got my cover from Denniskirk for only $20, disc locks canbe had for $20 to $40.

Comment

Cover with an alarm built in (Dowco Gaurdian) , parked where you can see if from the window easily , and blocked in by cars or chained down to something for good measure . You know , if you're worried about people messing with it . If not .... it IS a motor vehicle , and as such , is designed to work in inclimate weather ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I have a Gorilla alarm on my ZX-14 with the 2way pager. You can buy one on Ebay for $140. It works great and isn't too expensive. It will page you if someone is messing with your bike.

It was a great investment.
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

Well if you are in a house and not an apartment I would recommend that you build a shed or some sort of storage building. If you moved into an apartment then I would recommend that you go rent a house.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

my kat was an outdoor bike, in the parking lot of my apartment buildings for the year or year and a half i had it. now the 919 i have lived outside for a year as well.

through snow, ice rain and the heat. I used a cheap $10 cover from hong kong for about 8 months on the kat. I think i got my money's worth.

However, I bought a dowco, the one that you can throw right on after riding and such. It was a bit pricey, near $100 but worth it.

As far as element protection, cover is fine, just get a good one, and make sure it won't fly off.

As far as theft or damage from other people, insurance is the best way. or a ship anchor with chain.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

I agree with the Dowco covers, they are wonderful. The only thing i dont like about them is that i have to fold my mirrors down for the best fit. I bought the medium size, it's perfect when the mirrors are down, but tight with them up.
              Let's go riding!

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
                I agree with the Dowco covers, they are wonderful. The only thing i dont like about them is that i have to fold my mirrors down for the best fit. I bought the medium size, it's perfect when the mirrors are down, but tight with them up.
                get a large and that solves the problem. I had a prekat and I didnt buy the size they said, think they called for a medium, but i got a large and it worked great. it might have caught a bit more air in the wind, but it still stayed put.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

My Dowco cover did great for the two years that I stored my Kat outside. I used the cover and a disc lock with a reminder coil. I was lucky that while my bike was outside it was tucked into a corner behind my apartment building. I am a big fan of the out of sight out of mind idea. If your bike is visable it is more likely to get messed with or stolen.

Comment

Dowco Guardian.

Lube the chain religiously. Watch that sprinklers aren't going to hit the bike where-ever it's parked. Lock it down to something that can't be dragged away (ground anchor, telephone pole, car bumper, etc). Wash it a bit more often...

Or, if you live on the first floor, ride it into your living room

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the dowco covers. Payday is this week so hopefully I can get what I need bye this weekend.

Comment

I don't have a garage as well; my bike has been outside for more than a year. My recommendation is to use the Dowco all weather cover (as mentioned) and get an anchor, if feasible. If possible, use a chain/w lock and a u bar lock. I have the thick Kryptonite Fuggetaboutit chain it appears to work well.
                        When winter comes by, refer to Cyber's storage method for outdoors. It worked well for me.
                        Last edited by professa_riddler; 05-26-2009, 07:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                        -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post

Or, if you live on the first floor, ride it into your living room

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          I know a few people that do that here
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

+1 for a decent cover. The one thing I didn't see anyone mention would be to keep the gas tank as full as possible. Outside temps and humidity change much more drastically than temps inside a garage normally do, which usually causes a lot more condensation buildup in steel gas tanks and exhaust systems. Keeping the tank as full as possible lessens the chance of rust problems down the road.
                            John,
                            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                            sigpic

Comment

I got this half shed that I built (got it from home depot) and it shares one of the walls of yours house and you build it right on the side of the house. Comes in tons of different sizes and when I built mine i used snaps and hinges rather then nails so I can take it apart into 4 peices that I can take with me if I move.
                              1999 Katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X