X

Caught in a Downpour

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caught in a Downpour

What do you do when you find yourself caught in a downpour?? I rode the Kat to work today and it was perfectly fine outside...when it came time to leave at 5:00pm things were a different story. There were 40+ mph winds, and hard hard rain. There was no way I was riding home...it is a 30 mile trip, and when you see numerous cars pulled off the highway with hazards on, you know its not advisable to even attempt to ride your bike. Plus I didn't have any rain gear. I ended up leaving my bike at work and rode the vanpool home. I just hope my bike is safe sitting there in the parking lot...you do have to go through a security checkpoint and flash a badge before you can enter, but I still don't like the thought of leaving it in a parking lot over night.

I have a question though...can TOO much rain damage your bike in anyway? It rained really hard for 45 minutes and then steadily after that. And also, how fast do the winds have to be blowing to blow a bike over? I was really surprised mine withstood the harsh winds.

Anyone have similar experiences?
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

I got drenched right down to my drawers today
    Start every day with a smile and get it over with - WC Fields

Comment

I hate the down pours! I also hate leaving my bike parked outside. I am lucky enough to have a garage at work to park my bike in. Is there anywhere you could park your bike during the day that is out of the weather?
      2000 Kat 600
      "Fast Blue"
      Pic in Profile

Comment

Originally posted by Batgirl
        What kind of 'drawers'
        Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

I just KNEW someone would jump on the "drawers" comment.

We are such pigs, eh? :P

ANYway...no. Rain isn't really going to hurt stuff. You should inspect your (no double-entendres, ne-oublie) under-seat area...battery, fusebox, etc. just ot make sure there aren't any floods or standing water.

A good cleaning and drying is what you're bike is asking you for. Give it to her!! (again...no double-entendre's, ne-oublie).. :P

If we ever reach the point where we can't openly discuss riding bikes on acid without even a modicum of civility, then the terrorists have won.

HORSE BANG!!! ........props to *GP*

Official coefficient of friction test dummy

Comment

Pee yourself again BG?
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

Sorry Batgirl,but you should have known better Lou has to bring everything down to his level
              Ok, no more mister nice guy, i've met the guy in the street, and he's a wanker.

Comment

<edit>nevermind</edit>

Comment

I've ridden in alot of rain. If I have raingear I keep going. If I don't, it only takes a minute to get soaked and then I keep going because I am already soaked!!

Comment

Pretty much just dry it out..
                    The designers left out the roof, windshield and
                    doors so they kinda figure your bikes gonna get wet.

Comment

its not a big deal unless you cant see. If thats the case pull over and wait for it to slow down.

If not, just take it easy and you will be ok. Just watch out for puddles and painted street lines, they get slippery
                      Visit www.knee-draggers.com And sign up now!

Comment

I got stuck in the rain on Wednesday. I was so soaked, in fact, that my cell phone, which was in zip-up pocket in my jacket, stopped working. I had to sit it under a lamp for a few hours, then it worked again. My only real problem, though, was one of my spark plug cover thingamajigs was not in place, and my plug hole filled with water, making it misfire. Let it dry out in the garage overnight, and it was fine.
                        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

If it wasn't downpouring to hard, and I had my helmet, I would continue to ride. But the fact is that if you are uncomfortable, then you should not ride. You are just endangering yourself and others. Keep it safe, and ride with-in your comfort range.
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Welcome to Houston, 'aussie. Southeast Texas is one of the wettest areas in the state. Be careful out there, man. The cagers drive fast, and since there is so much rain, they don't slow down, resulting in a lot of wrecks.

Saw some flooding out there in the news this morning. Hope everything is reasonably dry in your area.
                            2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

aahhh, man....I can't even begin to count how many times I have been caught in the rain. From a steady drizzle to downright pouring. It doesn't intimidate me or freak me out...except for a couple of times when I have come upon deep puddles. I hit one once that was a good 10inches deep....I thought it was going to toss me over the bars it slowed me down so quick. Still don't know what kept me from wiping it. Other than that, it is just the cold wet crotch that really bugs me. Anyone feel like they have a case of the crabs when they get wet like that? I don't know....I just find being all soggy gives me a case of the itch. End up spending the rest of the trip squirming on the seat to scratch the butt.

As far as it being outside in the rain, my bike has taken as many showers as some of the guys I know. Just try to take it for a nice long speedy trip to blow dry it off. Oil the chain.....and dry up the switches as best you can. The switches can lead to problems if they get wet enough and not dried out.
                              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X