X

A car hit my bike and fled

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sky View Post
    In quebec insurance doesn't work like anywhere else ... no charges can be brought against the faulty driver unless he was drunk (can only be charge with drunk driving nothing else) or was exceeding the speed limit enough to be charged with EHS (extreme high speed infraction nothing else) We can't sue any driver no matter what he or she did. As far as vehicule insurance ... it's always our own insurance that covers any damages .. only difference is that if you are not at fault you do not pay the deductible for the claim.

Finally any claims as to loss of work or desabllity is handle by the goverment insurance (no fault insurance) we pay on our tags. All medical expenses are already covered on our universal medical care insurance.
    So, do the rates change to reflect your pay-out-history, or only to reflect your at-fault accidents, or neither/both? How about points on the license from non-accident tickets (such as speeding, other traffic infractions)?

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just a quick note to all of those who claimed they would have responded with violence.

Dom's father told me the driver was a very elderly man (he said about 77-78).

We are not in the habit of severly beating up confused elderly folks around here, even when they do stupid confused things that would deserve a kick in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Tech View Post
        Just a quick note to all of those who claimed they would have responded with violence.

We are not in the habit of severly beating up confused elderly folks around here, even when they do stupid confused things that would deserve a kick in the butt.
        I think I would have popped a vain in my head when I caught up and found out that I couldn't beat the crap out of the person... but at least I wouldn't have ended up in jail. I don't know what I would have actually done, I hope I would have been able to show restraint, but I'm a fairly excitable person.
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
          So, do the rates change to reflect your pay-out-history, or only to reflect your at-fault accidents, or neither/both? How about points on the license from non-accident tickets (such as speeding, other traffic infractions)?

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          We don't get tickets for accidents and if you are at no fault your rates will not increase unless you get into a crapload of no fault accident

Our driving record (point and tickets) will only affect the vehicule insurance ... the no-fault one that comes with the tags is never affected by your individual record but you driver's license renewal will increase with each points you lose (no icrease for the first 3 points).

Up until they decided that charging over 1K for tags on a SS bike ... we were very well covered for not too much money.

And just to see how universal can also mean stupid ... a drunk driver's pain and suffering and miss work will be compasented even if he is convicted to a jail sentence. That how "no-fault" is gets !!! It also covers a criminal having an accident fleeing the site of the crime. It also covers all cyclists and pedestrians being hit by a motor vehicule weather the cyclist or peditrian is at fault or not.
          Guylaine
          Try and keep up now

Comment

And just to see how universal can also mean stupid...
            From a sociological point of view, not a bad system, as everyone is always guaranteed coverage it would seem, which is a highly desirable thing. What about those who drive uninsured (expired tags, etc)?

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              The system in Quebec is No-fault with regard to civil lawsuits. Criminal charges can be brought when they apply.

Regarding insurance, you must deal with your own insurance company for any claim. They will evaluate the damage and issue any payment to you. They will later negociate with the other party's insurance company if they are found partly or completely responsible. You play no part in those negociations.

Insurance premiums are obviously NOT based on the no-fault system. Your premiums will raise whenever there is a payout to you. They will raise much more if you are found responsible.

Insurance coverage is divided in multiple sections. Some are mandatory and some are optionnal.

All bodily arm to you or others are covered by the Société de l'Assurance Automobile du Québec (SAAQ) our state-controlled insurance company.
              You pay premiums when you renew your driver's licence as well as when you register a vehicule.
              The premiums are fixed according to permit class and vehicule category. Most motorcycles are 2x more expensive to register than a passenger car. Sport bikes are 4x more expensive.
              This coverage include any necessary medical attention you or your victim might need (provided by the public health care system), as well as minimal payout or pension in case of disability or death.

Other insurances are provided by private insurance companies. They include :

(Mandatory) Civil responsibility insurance covers damage to the road, sign posts, fences, signal light and any other "urban mobilia" as well damage inflicted to buildings or another vehicule by you or your vehicule. Standard coverage is up to a million dollars, with 2 millions behing common as well.

(Optionnal) Insurance for the vehicule itself, including protection against theft, fire, vandalism, and collisions. This is the largest part of our private insurance coverage and is the most affected by area, sex, age, vehicule model, and claim history.

As an example, here are my premiums :
              I am a 28 years old male with no claims history. All dollar figures canadian.

$52 SAAQ contribution on driver's license
              $474 SAAQ contribution on Bandit 1200S registration (not a sportbike)
              $890 Full coverage ("Tous Risques") private insurance on the bike. Includes 2 millions Civil responsibility, Market value for the bike and $2000 accessories (mainly the givi bags). Deductible is $250.

Total cost to insure myself and the bandit for a year is $1416 CAN. This is comparable to the total cost for this bike in Ontario and cheaper than in New-Brunswick. I am not familiar with other provinces rate and coverages.

Hope this helps clear up our Quebec insurance situation at least a bit.

Comment

From a sociological point of view, not a bad system, as everyone is always guaranteed coverage it would seem, which is a highly desirable thing. What about those who drive uninsured (expired tags, etc)?

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet

They are covered but will be fined for driving with expired tags and if the driver's licensed was revoked (for whatever reason) he will also be covered but will face criminal charges for driving without a license.

The system in Quebec is No-fault with regard to civil lawsuits. Criminal charges can be brought when they apply.

Regarding insurance, you must deal with your own insurance company for any claim. They will evaluate the damage and issue any payment to you. They will later negociate with the other party's insurance company if they are found partly or completely responsible. You play no part in those negociations.

Insurance premiums are obviously NOT based on the no-fault system. Your premiums will raise whenever there is a payout to you. They will raise much more if you are found responsible.

Insurance coverage is divided in multiple sections. Some are mandatory and some are optionnal.

All bodily arm to you or others are covered by the Société de l'Assurance Automobile du Québec (SAAQ) our state-controlled insurance company.
                You pay premiums when you renew your driver's licence as well as when you register a vehicule.
                The premiums are fixed according to permit class and vehicule category. Most motorcycles are 2x more expensive to register than a passenger car. Sport bikes are 4x more expensive.
                This coverage include any necessary medical attention you or your victim might need (provided by the public health care system), as well as minimal payout or pension in case of disability or death.

Other insurances are provided by private insurance companies. They include :

(Mandatory) Civil responsibility insurance covers damage to the road, sign posts, fences, signal light and any other "urban mobilia" as well damage inflicted to buildings or another vehicule by you or your vehicule. Standard coverage is up to a million dollars, with 2 millions behing common as well.

(Optionnal) Insurance for the vehicule itself, including protection against theft, fire, vandalism, and collisions. This is the largest part of our private insurance coverage and is the most affected by area, sex, age, vehicule model, and claim history.

As an example, here are my premiums :
                I am a 28 years old male with no claims history. All dollar figures canadian.

$52 SAAQ contribution on driver's license
                $474 SAAQ contribution on Bandit 1200S registration (not a sportbike)
                $890 Full coverage ("Tous Risques") private insurance on the bike. Includes 2 millions Civil responsibility, Market value for the bike and $2000 accessories (mainly the givi bags). Deductible is $250.

Total cost to insure myself and the bandit for a year is $1416 CAN. This is comparable to the total cost for this bike in Ontario and cheaper than in New-Brunswick. I am not familiar with other provinces rate and coverages.

Hope this helps clear up our Quebec insurance situation at least a bit.
                Am I glad to be an old female fart !!! I only pay 700$ for full coverage on my gixxer 1K !!!! but my tags were 1030$ this year
                Last edited by Sky; 05-26-2009, 01:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                Guylaine
                Try and keep up now

Comment

They are covered but will be fined for driving with expired tags and if the driver's licensed was revoked (for whatever reason) he will also be covered but will face criminal charges for driving without a license.

Am I glad to be an old female fart !!! I only pay 700$ for full coverage on my gixxer 1K !!!! but my tags were 1030$ this year
                  Indeed...

Wife's premiums on the Kat 600 are about $400 for the same coverage as I have.
                  It seems the possibility of sitting on your nuts is a very high accident risk factor...

Comment

Indeed...

Wife's premiums on the Kat 600 are about $400 for the same coverage as I have.
                    It seems the possibility of sitting on your nuts is a very high accident risk factor...
                    Hilarious !!! yeah my husband pays $850 for the same coverage for the exact same bike as mine !!
                    Guylaine
                    Try and keep up now

Comment

If you had been dying, bleeding in the ditch, he still wouldn't have stopped. Too many arsehats in this world...

I hate to have to agree with that but it's too true and happens way to often.

Total cost to insure myself and the bandit for a year is $1416 CAN.

Holy Crap!!
                      It was only $825 to cover my Busa in O.C.!
                      Last edited by tdrcomm; 05-26-2009, 03:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      sigpic

Comment

He was 67.

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
                        Holy Crap!!
                        It was only $825 to cover my Busa in O.C.!
                        I checked with my insurer what would full coverage on a Busa would cost me.
                        3400 CND$
                        And add the license fees and 1030$ for the plates (1400$ next year).

True I didn't shop around, I just wanted to know out of curiosity.
                        But holy sh*t!

Originally posted by Tech
                        And it also covers clothing.
                        I'll have to call them for my cracked glove.
                        Last edited by Dom; 05-26-2009, 08:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                        X