X

crashed the bike. helmat saved my life

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crashed the bike. helmat saved my life

so yesterday it was really nice out so after work i decided to go on one of my favorite rides up this highway in the outskirts of RI. this road has a speed limit of between 40 and 45 and is just nice twisties and good staight aways with little traffic threw the woods and lakes. i was going around 40 enjoying the ride. coming the other way was a white volvo with a car load of 18 year old kids heading home. as we were about to cross paths they decided to take a left across my lane to side road. i instantly got on the breaks. both wheels locked up and i proceded to slide tward them. now instead of gunning it to get out of my way the kid paniced and stopped right infront of me. at this point i had a choice of hit him head on or go another way. i decided to lay the bike down as my best bet. i pulled the bike back and started to bring it down i was sidways and almost on the ground when the bike just stopped. i went over the side of the and face first into the pavement. my face hit so hard that the first hit ripped the front visor off. the helmet cracked and busted apart but completly saved my head. my gloves were destroyed and actually almost entirly ripped off my right hand. my jacket saved my arms but was also destroyed. outside of afew bumps and bruses im completly fine (even went to work today) all the gear is destroyed and the bike is in very bad shape. when i talked to the kids and asked why they said they "didnt see me" the only two vehicles on the road and "didnt see me" and ontop of that stopped infront of me. if they had kept going across the road i probably would have been alright but now im out a bike and gear. the cops and ambulance came and checked me out. they said my gear saved my life and from what i felt i can completly agree. thank god for my gear i will NEVER go without it even once again. now i have big plans for the bike. its going to be awhile unfortunatly but the kat will be back and better then ever . and to anyone out there that thinks there to cool for a helmet when i hit i tried as hard as i could to keep control of my body but my head whipped into the ground so hard there is nothing i could have done to stop it and without a helmet my head would have split open all over the road. oh and if anyone has an extra slip on, helmet, or right foot peg please let me know i dont have enough posts to post in the wanted thread and other then that stuff ive got my own plans lol the kat will be back and i will be back on the bike hopfully sooner then later. thanks again guys for everything to this point. ill be back hahahaha
    Last edited by Miyagi; 05-22-2009, 09:58 PM.

glad your ok. thats why gear is so important!

Comment

DUDE that SUCKS!!!! I need some better gear. But Im glad your ok
      sigpic
      Update Jul 11 2014
      Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

glad your ok man. dress for the crash not for the ride.

Comment

I have a stock windscreen for a post kat 750. You can have it free just pay shipping if you need it. Let me know. I'll be the first to offer up parts.

Hope this helps
          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Thank god you are OK.
            ...peaking from under a sleeping bag..."Hi, I'm Zuma"

I'm already in a club but we have Bombers, Fighters and Big Friggin Guns!!!

Comment

my brother in law had a similar thing happen to him but in the rain and the other driver left so we had to fix his bike up all outa pocket and decided against a police report as his insurance would have to cover it and his rate would go up as the other driver wasnt around to get insurance from or blame fault on. Ive herd this scenario countless times and its always the driver at fault drove away. Im always geared up ill jump off and let the bike go right into there car and then watch em try to get away. Hey thats what the gear is for ne way and if im gettin my vehicle damaged bc of a carless driver i figure i can return the favor

Comment

Wow. Thank God you're ok. Sounds like a really scary crash. If you still have your helmet it would be interesting to see some pics of all the damage. Might also help people notice just how important it is to wear a helmet each and every time you jump on two wheels.
                We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

Thanks for the post,... it'll make me think twice before going without gear again. Glad you're okay.
                  ROCP

Comment

Terrible luck man but awesome that you're ok.

Comment

glad that your ok

Comment

That sucks for your bike, but really glad your OK. Just goes to show that most bike accidents are caused by other people. What kind of helmet (brand) did you have on? I agree with DanKid, it would be good to see some pics of the helmet, and the bike for that matter. PM me if you are still looking for an exhaust. Take care.
                        "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Wow, this is happening a lot lately...happened to me a few weeks ago. I'm glad you're okay. Take it easy for a few days because I felt worse the week after than the day after. I have a bruise on the inside of my left thigh from knee to groin that didn't show up for 9 days. My muscle is super tight there too. I apparently have a deep tissue bruise and it is uncomfortable to say the least. I hope you and the Kat will be back in action soon.

Comment

Glad you are okay. yeah too busy goofing off to be able to see you....

Were the kids at fault on the police report and is his insurance going to pay?

Also, where are the pics of the helmet? That usually gets people to realize how important gear can be, when they see that could have been your face.

Once again glad you are okay.....

Comment

Whoa!!! Glad you're okay! What brands of gear were you in?
                              Originally posted by katanawarrior
                              I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

Working...
                              X