X

Buying my third bike - 1996 and 2000 Katana 600 Q's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying my third bike - 1996 and 2000 Katana 600 Q's

Hey guys, it's been a loooong time since I've posted here. I'm looking to buy my third bike after my second bike (a 1983 Kawasaki KZ550) dropped a valve on me several weeks ago. I'm currently looking at two Katanas, a 2000 and a 1996 model.

The 2000 model is most attractive at the moment since it is significantly closer to me. However, it has 23,000 miles and had its engine rebuilt three years ago. I do not yet know why the engine was rebuilt, so I can't say whether its been abused in the past. The current owner assures me that he has not abused it, though. He's asking $3000, which seems way overpriced for a bike with 20k+ miles and a possible dubious past. I'd like to offer the guy a fair price for both parties, so what sort of price range should I be looking at for this bike?

The other bike is a 1996 Katana 600. It's pretty unremarkable, under 10k miles, body is in good condition. Looks well taken care of. What is the going price for 96 Katanas?

I know you all probably get all kinds of these questions, so I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I usually try to compare KBB/NADA prices with eBay prices to get a general idea, but so far I haven't had much luck.

I honestly would take the 2000 kat but try and work his price down to 2700 maybe? As far as the dubious past you could always take the bike apart yourself or have it inspected at a shop. I just like the post 98 style of kats better so thats my opinion.
    1999 Katana 750

Comment

Well, the other positive about the 2000 Kat is that, from what I can tell, its bone stock. I don't have a problem with aftermarket exhausts or anything, but so many people do it badly (i.e. never rejet the carbs, etc) that I'd just as soon stick with a stock bike.

Comment

With an engine rebuild, I'd pay no more than $2k.

Is the 96 stock? If so, I'd go with that one. I paid $2k OTD for my 1993 Kat 6 with 15k miles on it.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I bought my 94 stock last year for $1700.
          -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
          -My wife

Comment

Anyone else have any comments? I'm going to take a look at the 2000 this afternoon.

Comment

Wonder why the engine had to be rebuilt with such low miles I would definitely give that bike a hard once over before deciding to make an offer - and I agree that 3K is overpriced - between 2,200 - 2,700 would be fair all things considered.
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I'm gonna find out the details of the rebuild today when I take a look at the bike. For all I know he's calling a gasket replacement an engine rebuild...

Comment

Alright, as it turns out, the engine wasn't rebuilt. The carbs were. I made him an offer and he said he'd get back to me once he talked to his uncle, whose name is also on the title.

Comment

$3000 is way too much. Don't offer more than 2k. Now if he is throwing in a cover,helmet,jacket,etc then maybe go as high as $2500

Comment

Well, I offered him $2400 delivered to my house. That's a bit over NADA price, with a bit extra for delivery.

Comment

I've got an '02 for sale in good shape, new tires, all maint done, etc... $2750, or for $3100, I'll drive it up to WV in person (just enough extra $$ to pay for gas & the rental home)...

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well, he accepted my offer of $2400 delivered after haggling him down and telling him I was going to look at another Katana that was for sale for only $2200.

Comment

i dont know the 2000 has 20K and rebuilt engine something was wrong or was pushed to hard maybe. i got a 96 600 kat for 1700 just 3 weeks ago. and mine had 13k on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaster120 View Post
                              i dont know the 2000 has 20K and rebuilt engine something was wrong or was pushed to hard maybe. i got a 96 600 kat for 1700 just 3 weeks ago. and mine had 13k on it.
                              You obviously didn't read the entire thread. The carbs were rebuilt, not the engine.

Comment

Working...
                              X