X

'96 kat 750 idling problems

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '96 kat 750 idling problems

Recently my '96 kat has started having troubles staying alive at idle. Usually It takes full choke to start from cold, after it warms up and I've been driving for a little while and its all warmed up it would idle at 1500-2000, but would run fine. As of the last few days when i slow down the rpms go back to around 2k, then it drops and tries to die. Some times i can keep it alive and it will idle around 1000-1500 But when i give it gas from idle it has a pronounced hesitation before it revs up. You can hear it through the exhast, and for that split second it sounds like a popping or like a on spark plug is unplugged just for that little bit. But above 2k up through 10k it runs smooth as ever.

Could it just be gunk built up in the carbs? is there anything i can run through the gas to help clean it up if there is?
    A little back ground, the bike recently hit 10500 miles, and had new spark plugs about 600 miles ago along with all new fuel lines.
    thanks for the help
    1996 katana 750

You could try putting some Seafoam in the tank and run that through for a while to see if it clears the problem up. Sounds like maybe a little bit of rust or varnish build up blocking a pilot jet. If the Seafoam doesn't help after running it for 1 tank, I would pull the carbs and make sure all the jets are clean.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Comment

Alright i'll try seafoam then.
      1996 katana 750

Comment

Hey i'm still having this problem. I sometimes seems to come and go. It seems to be idling OK now, but it takes a while to warm up and still some times stalls on me. Also, it has almost no power under 4k, when i give it more gas you can feel it actually hesitate and sort of chug before climbing in rpm's. It's alright if i slowly ease up to and past 4k then its alright but down there it has lost all pick up. Some colder mornings (ie 60's -70s) it almost stalls at anythign under 4k, and if i get out of the clutch under 4k rpms it just about dies while driving and sputters and hesitates. To get moving some times i actually have to reve it up and slip the clutch until its at 4k when i let it out.
        any help would be appreciated.
        1996 katana 750

Comment

The problem low in the rpms and at idles tell me that your idle circuit in the carbs in dirty and needs to be cleaned. Pull the carbs and clean them paying speacial attention to the pilot circuit. You might want to pull your plugs and clean them while you have the tank off, you might have fouled them with the poor running conditions even in 600 miles.

Comment

Read this and follow it's instructions...

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Had similar issue at 9K miles at low RPM and once I got the carbs sync'ed up the problem went away. Just another thought.
              If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Mine was acting this way plus had to keep choke on a little to even idle, cleaned carbs and all went away.

Comment

Originally posted by fireball 440 View Post
                  Mine was acting this way plus had to keep choke on a little to even idle, cleaned carbs and all went away.
                  completely remove them and clean them?
                  I have the capability to do this but i ride the bike everyday to class and only problem is i don't really have the time to do it, unless i do it on the weekend and get it all back together and running by monday. I'll also try to see if i can sync them first and see if that helps or not.
                  1996 katana 750

Comment

Synching wont help, they are dirty.
                    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Yep take them all off and apart to clean. Make it run like new.

Comment

Syncing wont help unless you have a rock solid idle to work with. If you have not had the carbs off before give yourself a full weekend to do it. Since this is your only mode of transporation I suggest you be extremely careful not to break something or take it to someone to have the carbs cleaned. Maybe you can ask around here for someone in your area that knows how to do carb work that would be willing to help you out.

Comment

Originally posted by FieroReinke View Post
                          Syncing wont help unless you have a rock solid idle to work with. If you have not had the carbs off before give yourself a full weekend to do it. Since this is your only mode of transporation I suggest you be extremely careful not to break something or take it to someone to have the carbs cleaned. Maybe you can ask around here for someone in your area that knows how to do carb work that would be willing to help you out.
                          Yeah it will be my first time taking the carbs off this bike. When i first got it i stipped the air cleaner off and got down to the carbs to replace some fuel lines but that it on this bike. I did take the carbs off an old bike i had in preperation to rebuild them, but that was a 1983 gs650. And the carbs on this bike seem like their more burried and harder to get out than that one. I know i could probably get them off in an afternoon tho. Its just taking them apart, and rebuilding each one that kinda worries me, then won't i need to re synch them if i take them apart? how hard is that?
                          and the rebuilding it self are these carbs pretty simple or complicated? I've rebuilt 2 carbs off cars before and one on my boat. All were 2 barrel carbs, not 1barrel's like these so i'd assume these are simpler...? Also when i did those car carbs, i just bought a rebuild kit at autozone or what ever, do you guys recommend trying to find a rebuild kit for these or do you just take it all aprat, clean it all then put it back together?
                          Is it possible to remove them, separate them and just put them all in a little tub of cleaner as a whole unit?
                          thanks for the help
                          1996 katana 750

Comment

leave um on the rail, and break them down and clean them one at a time. there really is no "kit" that I am aware of. really only O rings unless something is really really trashed. take your time, use lots and lots of spray carb cleaner and lots and lots of compressed air. study carbs 101 stickied here and have your service manual handy and open. if you think they're clean, clean them again, thrice. If you're still having problems after a few cleanings as above, then concider taking the carb bodies off the rails and soaking them in carb cleaner. you'll stil have to spray, and blow out the passages even after soaking.
                            99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                            1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                            '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                            Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

leave um on the rail ........

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Working...
                              X