X

Wrecked the Katana...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrecked the Katana...

On 5/8/09 (Friday before last) someone in a black Range Rover ran me off the road while I was riding. The truck was in the center of the road halfway in my lane speeding around a curve as I topped the hill and I swerved around it but the road curved out from under me. I rode the shoulder for a few seconds before I hit a ditch (perpendicular to the road). The bike hit hard on the far bank and bottomed out breaking the lowering links before flipping forward and throwing me over the handlebars. The bike rolled end over end a few times and I rolled ahead of it before sliding on my back through the grass. All total I ended up about 25 feet from the impact site.
    It broke the dog bones, windscreen, mirrors, and all of the fairings (except tail). I was wearing full gear and ended up with a swollen wrist and unable to use my right arm due to swelling in my shoulder. On the bright side I was off work for a week and just have to fix my bike. I am about 85% back to normal, not bad considering how fast I went from 40mph to 0. It could have been worse I guess...but it screwed up my weekend of working on the GTO.
    I was able to get up off of the ground and stand the bike up. A guy saw the whole thing and stopped to help me push it to the edge of the road (not an easy task with the tire rubbing the fender). He was more mad than me at the person that ran me off the road because they passed him uphill in a blind curve. The speed limit was 35 and I was close to that 35-40 just taking it easy and enjoying the ride. The Range Rover was doing 55-60 and was driving in the middle of the road from what the guy told me. I was leaning into the uphill "S" curve to the right just as it switched left. When I leaned left I had to get off of the throttle and when the bike stood up I missed the truck by literally inches and hit the ditch. I called a friend to pick up the bike and after waiting there for 15 minutes or so my right shoulder was sore enough that I couldn't pick up my helmet. My wife works for an orthopedic surgeon and he says I didn't break anything. I still have some pain in the shoulder and both legs are stiff but anti-inflammatory meds are helping.
    Pics suck and since swapping out the dog bones for stock it is just cosmetic. Bike is muddy and naked, but I think that's the worst of it. Is there anything I need to check? I will test ride it in a week or so when I can. It starts up fine and runs like it should. I plan to change the oil this week - it's due anyway - and I am not riding it until am 100%.

Donations will be accepted to get the Kat back on the road Parts or cash

good to hear that you're healing. damn cars, so reckless. what year is your bike?

Comment

Black 06 Kat 600

Comment

i dont have any parts to donate, but best of luck to yours and your bike's recovery

Comment

glad to hear your all right. It could be worse, you might not walk for 3 years and 358 days, been there

Comment

Glad you're not hurt. Good luck fixing the Kat.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your bike. Glad you're ok
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

Glad that you were able to walk away from that - it is truely sad that drivers in these huge utes think they have exclusive rights to the road, and complete disregard for basic rules of the road. Did the gentleman who stopped to help manage to get a plate # off that vehicle? Nothing gets my blood boiling more than an imbecile that won't even stop to ensure there are no serious injuries - been there once myself. Heal quick, and hope that there are no unseen damages to your shoulder/wrist.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

That sucks dude. If I still lived down that way I would offer to help ya put her back together.

Heal up good, and watch out for them damn Alabama drivers!!!!
                  Kan-O-Gixxer!
                  -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                  -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                  -Ohlins Susupension
                  -Various Other Mods

Comment

Thanks to all. No plate number...he passed the truck that stopped for me seconds before I wrecked out...when I wrecked the guy stopped to check on me so the Range Rover got away. I have been in law enforcement for 4 years and didn't even bother with a report. I have liability on the bike so the repairs will be out of pocket. No report means that my insurance won't go up and with only a glance at the vehicle it was pointless. That said I will be on the lookout for the black Range Rovers from now on...what goes around comes around. I will likely recon the area for the vehicle to find out who drives it...and wait...(insert evil laugh here)

Comment

Hate to hear that man. Glad you are not more banged up than you are. I hope you can find the prick. People like that don't deserve to be on the road...
                      Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

I'm sure you already know this, but people tend to be creatures of habit, driving the same roads at the same time on the same days of the week. Then again, not much you can do if you're not going to put in a report.

Glad you made it through that no worse than you did. And here's to a speedy recovery.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

well it could have been alot worse!

Comment

Dang your luck! Sorry to hear about that bro!

Karma will catch up w/ that F@@@er!
                            THE DOC
                            RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                            Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                            mistake when you make it again.
                            sigpic

Comment

Sorry about your accident. Glad you're ok. Good luck on the rebuild.
                              This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                              BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Working...
                              X