X

Engine life

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine life

What is the average life of a Katana's engine in miles???

I know aircooled engines are not known for their long lifes (except for, maybe, BMW engines), but I'm unsure how long would they last, 50K miles?
    Ich lebe mein Tod, Tag für Tag!

Willkommen zu meiner Welt...

I've got about 60K Km on mine....it was running strong right up until it suffered some electrical trouble.

Maintain it properly, change the oil and filter regularly and she should treat you well for a long time.

Comment

You can get Kat in perfect mechanical order that have done 80K Km+ (though they've usually have had some sorts of engine repair done to them by then)

I see them around a lot in the local classifieds, i assume the bikes are OK, since most of them are from dealers offering 6-12 month warranty.
      -= Har du styr på lortet, eller lort på styret? =-

Comment

oh yeah, that reminds me....once I saw a 92 kat 600 with over 80K Km on it. I was thinking "sweet! I should get another 20K out of mine then!!" ha ha

Comment

Re: Engine life

Originally posted by Süsser Tod
          What is the average life of a Katana's engine in miles???

I know aircooled engines are not known for their long lifes (except for, maybe, BMW engines), but I'm unsure how long would they last, 50K miles?
          I would have to disagree with that. I have over 220k kms on my 92 1100.
          That is like 130k miles. It is air/oil cooled.
          Kepp the oil changed, valves adjusted, and don't beat the living snot out of it on a regular bases and you can get well past 50k.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Re: Engine life

Originally posted by Mojoe
            Kepp the oil changed, valves adjusted, and don't beat the living snot out of it on a regular bases and you can get well past 50k.
            +1

A lot of it depends on maintenance and how fast you do the miles (in terms of years). I know of a Brit delivery (dispatch) rider who got a good 200k KM (130k miles or so) out of his before it fell to pieces -- and most of that was because he rode it year round in all weather, including in the salt-strewn snow over pot-holed streets and cobblestones.

Oil is the lifeblood of the Kat -- give it good oil regularly and it should last an almost indefinite amount of miles

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

IVE MET A GUY ON THE ROAD WHICH HAD 80,xxx ORIGINAL MILES ON HIS 98 KAT.
              (((((((RIDE HARD OR GO HOME)))))))

Comment

my 89 had 36k on it im sure its due for some new rings around 60 and some cam chains and just matainance once it gets over 50-60 but they will last for ever these motors are bullet proof

Comment

Mine has over 40K on it with excellent compression, shifting, starting, etc........

I have no reservations whatsoever with taking it on a cross country trip at at time.
                  Ron
                  MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I purchased my previous Kat (1988 1100) with about 30,000 miles on it. After 4 years it was up to 47,000 miles and running strong and reliable when I sold it.

Comment

'90 Kat 600 - no major engine work - new clutch in it recently.

99,895 km on it and still runs fairly well - blows a bit of smoke at higher rpms, but still putting out 67 hp at the rear wheel.

-grimmy
                      Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

i had 65kmi on my '89 before it was stolen.. and that was mostly 3 years of riding... and no tranny troubles.

engine life doesn't seem lto be the problem... it's the transmission!
                        KLR 650, KLR 250, Beta TR 32 trials bike, Katana 600, BMW R65, Tundra V8 4x4

Comment

Working...
                        X