X

anyone else have to rock their key?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone else have to rock their key?

Anyone else have to rock their key back and forth to turn the ignition on? forget about locking the bike i cant even get it to turn that way. Noticed i had this problem and so do a few friends with all sorts of different bikes. I want to replace my entire lock cylinder, but where would i get one and for how much? I feel like the stealership is going to want a lot. Was just curious if anyone else has to deal with the same thing.
    My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

My guess is that it's a copy of a copy. Try using the master key or getting another cut off the master key.

I'd also suggest spraying copious amounts of graphite into the lock (it acts as a lubricant that won't hold dirt or water, and thus is lock-compatible) and see if it makes an difference.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ran into a similar problem - couldn't remove the key or turn it towards lock. With some finaggling, finally got it out, and sprayed a generous amount of WD-40 into the cylinder (She's an outdoor Kat). After a couple inserts and twists, the lock once again functions smooth as silk.
      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I have the same problem and yeah no original key. I dont even lock the steering because it takes half and hour to get the key to rotate, It was an outdoor kat before i bought it, now its garaged. The key i have is slightly bent and i can tell it was by the former owner trying to turn it.

Comment

Now, are we talking rocking as opposed to shaking, wiggling, or jiggling, or even shifting it in or out slowly, but not to be confused with vibrating .....
          The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I had this problem with my kat too. When I had the oil changed at the dealership they spayed a little lube of some kind in there and now it works mint!

Comment

Originally posted by BIGKAT1100 View Post
              Now, are we talking rocking as opposed to shaking, wiggling, or jiggling, or even shifting it in or out slowly, but not to be confused with vibrating .....
              Just lube it up.....and JAM it in there!
              THE DOC
              RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
              Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
              mistake when you make it again.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DOCTORNITRO View Post
                Just lube it up.....and JAM it in there!
                You always seemed like a very point and shoot kinda guy Doc
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

yea no master key and the key the guy gave me was a spare i beleive that was bent and twisted haha at leas the one i have now has a black plastic head on it. Ill try wd-40 since i have it laying around its a garaged kat, rather annoying to sit there trying to get your key in while everyones started and starring at you haha. My friends think its funny.

Comment

I had a problem that my roommate lost his key to his bike so I took the cylinder out and to a locksmith. He made a key to fit it. The best part about all that is that he only charged me for the keys.

Comment

i also had a similar problem. took my key, which wasn't the master, to the locksmith and he cut me new keys. was talking to him and he said that with bikes if you took him the ignition, they could cut me a key that would be like a master and would be like i bought it off the show room floor. however, the new keys that i had made, work just fine with my ignition.
                      R.I.P. Marc- You will be missed!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Comment

hmm not a bad idea theres a mr lockout 2 minutes away from me. I wouldnt mind the peace of mind of my bike being locked up and not able to be rolled away. Or im going to just buy a caliper lock for it or something.

Comment

Mine does the same thing with the original key, but my bike is relatively high mileage. I just rock it forward and it works. No amount of graphite fixes it, but it does marginally reduce the symptoms.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

A good locksmith doesn't need you to remove the cylinder -- just bring him the whole bike and he/she can do it on the spot...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

what causes this problem wear and tear of the pins inside the lock itself? so changing the key slightly would make up for the wear?... kind of like adjusting your clutch cable to make up for wear in the clutch plates?

Comment

Working...
                              X