X

Throttle cables problem..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throttle cables problem..

Just bought a 98 katana 600 last month and it has a rebuilt status on it.

well anyways, one day the throttle wouldnt rotate back freely so I took apart the cover and it seems like when it was repaired or someone before me had the wrong cable(s)?

Cause the "close" cable wasn't on, but the "open" cable was still on..

Tried putting the "close" cable on, but no matter how I do it, there just isn't enough slack so I can't get it on? wtf??

have you tried your adjusters?... there's one for each cable... an adjustment nut and a lock nut on each cable... they can adjust pretty far

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
    "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Yeah... here's what I do.. cables unhooked first..

Now I hook up the open and closing cables on the throttle..
      Bolt the thing back together, and slacken the cable.

Put the opening cable on, let it slack on the bracket thing

Try to put on the closing cable, it goes in.. but it can't go into the bracket holder thing-- it needs like 1 inch more slack!! cause the nuts are an inch below the bracket ):

Am I missing something? cause playing with the slack (adjuster nuts) don't do anything.

Wrong cables perhaps?

Comment

anyway you can get some pics up? the adjusters should be able to give you about an inch to an inch and a half of slack... pics would help alot to diagnose the problem

"for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads

Comment

On my 05 I find it easier to put on the closing cable first.
          R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

The throttle closing cable doesnt have enough slack so I can't get it up againist the bracket.

..and here is the other side

..and here is the throttle pulley.. the one at the front of the bike is the opening, and the one at the rear (towards the rider) is the closing correct?

Comment

are the cables switched?

Comment

there are also adjusting nuts on the throttle its self, on the clip on... try adjusting those, and see if it gives you any slack... if not, i would order 2 new cables from denniskirk.com, and try those out

my build threads

Comment

Originally posted by caligonetx View Post
                  are the cables switched?
                  I dont think they are switched?

Are they switchable?
                  I mean from the throttle pulley end, they are unique since one threads into the housing and the other gets screwed on with a screw.

Originally posted by airforceranger49 View Post
                  there are also adjusting nuts on the throttle its self, on the clip on... try adjusting those, and see if it gives you any slack... if not, i would order 2 new cables from denniskirk.com, and try those out
                  Yeah I've tried it all.. the closing cable just seems a bit too short.. but I was hoping I just did something wrong.

I ordered new cables yesterday but they won't be here for another week or so but I'm hoping the new cables fix my problem.
                  Last edited by acidice333; 05-12-2009, 10:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes, they can get switched by accident if someone doesn't know what they're doing. Both cables (as they come in the packages) look pretty much similar, with the only difference being how the connect at the control pod (one has that extra clamp bracket) -- at the carbs they can easily be reversed by accident.

Just FYI: if you had ordered the cables from me this morning, you'd have them by Thursday (Friday if the order came after mail-pick-up today). Scratch that -- you're in Canada, so it'd be four to six days instead.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

But I don't think the previous owner reversed them by accident at the carbs-- I mean, if you roll the throttle towards you (open), it works as the way it should. Or is it suppose to roll the otherway?

I guess I will attempt to swap the cables and see if that makes a difference.
                      Update: nope-- swapped at carbs and no difference. tried to swap at the handlebar end but they are fixed?

Yeah I noticed your thread a little late ): $100 canadian for the two cables they had to be special ordered in to my dealer.

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                      Yes, they can get switched by accident if someone doesn't know what they're doing. Both cables (as they come in the packages) look pretty much similar, with the only difference being how the connect at the control pod (one has that extra clamp bracket) -- at the carbs they can easily be reversed by accident.

Just FYI: if you had ordered the cables from me this morning, you'd have them by Thursday (Friday if the order came after mail-pick-up today). Scratch that -- you're in Canada, so it'd be four to six days instead.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Last edited by acidice333; 05-12-2009, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by acidice333 View Post
                        nope-- swapped at carbs and no difference. tried to swap at the handlebar end but they are fixed?
                        They disconnect at the both ends (obviously required to be able to replace them). If they are routed incorrectly, you may end up with a situation where they aren't the right length outside the sheath -- if I recall correctly, they need to pass to the opposite side of the steering stem before heading backwards towards the carbs.

$100 canadian for the two cables they had to be special ordered in to my dealer.
                        Blatent highway robbery! At today's exchange rate, even with steep dealer mark-ups, I'd expect you to pay no more than $55 CDN for both cables combined. Anything above that would strictly be overnight-express service...

=-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yes I know they disconnect at both ends, but at the control pod end they are fixed so you can't accidently put one in the other thru the control pod housing.

Does someone have a picture of proper routing? that could be my problem, but it seems like its routed fine. I even had the close cable unrouted to see if it made a difference but it didn't.

Are the closing/opening cables the same length? can you take a picture side by side so I can compare what I have?

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                          They disconnect at the both ends (obviously required to be able to replace them). If they are routed incorrectly, you may end up with a situation where they aren't the right length outside the sheath -- if I recall correctly, they need to pass to the opposite side of the steering stem before heading backwards towards the carbs.

Blatent highway robbery! At today's exchange rate, even with steep dealer mark-ups, I'd expect you to pay no more than $55 CDN for both cables combined. Anything above that would strictly be overnight-express service...

=-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Are the closing/opening cables the same length? can you take a picture side by side so I can compare what I have?
                            I don't know if they are the same length, but the easy way to tell is that only one of them has the metal retainer tab at the throttle-control end to hold it in place

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X