X

Sliding off the road.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sliding off the road.

It was nice and warm and finally not raining at all. I had just done some maintenance work on the bike and added a few things to it, so I really wanted to go for a ride. I headed out and went south so I could take PA route 125 north. I had been told it was a good road for bikes. The road I took to get to 125 north from I-78 was really nice as well. Parts of 125 were really rough, and wasn't that great. Part of it was awesome though. I can only imagine that Deals Gap is kind of like 125, except much longer and more turns.

Well, I had just made it through one hairpin turn after cresting the mountain, and after a very short straight spot, was braking for the second hairpin turn. Just before the turn, the road crested again, and started heading downhill with an even sharper grade. That's where my rear tire started sliding and kicked out to the side. That's when I slightly panicked, and mostly let off the front brake because the rear brake freaked me out. I did not, however, let go of the rear brake. So I slid through the turn, through the other lane (no traffic luckily), and off the side of the road, going kind of sideways the whole time. When I hit the dirt and leaves, I guess that gave me enough traction to get the bike started going downhill again with the rear tire still locked. I slid to a stop with a pile of leaves and dirt in front of the rear tire from it being locked up the whole time.

Another rider had been behind me up to that point just by happenstance, and he stopped when he saw that happen. He asked if I was okay first. I got my helmet off and said I was just fine. Then started talking about panicking when my rear tire locked up and slid sideways, and then fixating. I'm not entirely sure I did fixate. Not visually anyway. I think my brain fixated on the rear tire. He said he did the very same thing one time, but he had to lay the bike down. He congratulated me on keeping the bike up. He was a friendly guy. I think him stopping and talking to me, even briefly, helped me from getting too freaked out afterwards.

Now for the one last piece of info which will get people to yell at me. I had ear buds in and was listening to mp3's at the time. If I hadn't been doing that, then I probably would've heard the warning signs from the rear tire BEFORE it kicked out sideways. I would still say that music would help me stay more alert and focused on long roadtrip routes, but there's a time and place for everything. Twisties is NOT a time for music.

The other lesson that I'm taking from this is that, at the very least when going downhill on a steep grade, I'm not going to use the rear brake for setting up for a turn. I believe the weight transfer from braking was already putting most of the weight on the front tire. When I hit the crest between downhill, and steeper downhill, that transfered enough weight off the rear tire that it locked up easily.

In case I didn't make it clear though, absolutely no damage to me or the bike. We're both fine. I was also wearing all the gear, although I don't have riding pants. I did take pics, but I'll add those later.

Be safe, everyone.

ygolohcysp
    aka Dan

Woah, good save.

Sounds like you got a scare, but you did a good job keeping the bike upright.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Dan,

Sounds like you are still a pretty new rider. Is that right? If so i would recommend you take those earbuds out till you can know what the bike is doing by feel alone. You should still be able to hear the bike some with buds in as well when you are ready for that step.

be leary with using the rear brake only for turns. Also you should not be braking in turns especially if you are not ready for the rear to step out. You shoudl have your speed for the turn set and off the brakes before you enter. This ensures your suspension is fully ready for the turn only and not braking AND the turn. This is important for handling.

Bikes only do one thing as a time really well.... So pick between braking, acceleration, or turning. The second you start mixing is when you lower your bikes abilities
      I am a Penn State fanatic.
      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
        Now for the one last piece of info which will get people to yell at me. I had ear buds in and was listening to mp3's at the time. If I hadn't been doing that, then I probably would've heard the warning signs from the rear tire BEFORE it kicked out sideways. I would still say that music would help me stay more alert and focused on long roadtrip routes, but there's a time and place for everything. Twisties is NOT a time for music.

The other lesson that I'm taking from this is that, at the very least when going downhill on a steep grade, I'm not going to use the rear brake for setting up for a turn. I believe the weight transfer from braking was already putting most of the weight on the front tire. When I hit the crest between downhill, and steeper downhill, that transfered enough weight off the rear tire that it locked up easily.

In case I didn't make it clear though, absolutely no damage to me or the bike. We're both fine. I was also wearing all the gear, although I don't have riding pants. I did take pics, but I'll add those later.

Be safe, everyone.

ygolohcysp
        aka Dan

First of all, you shouldn't have been using the rear brake going downhill into a corner. Unless you know how to back it in, you can get into trouble as you found out.

Secondly, I agree with you on the music thing. I also wear tunes while I ride, all the time. However, when I'm riding twisties and doing spirited rides, I wear ear plugs. You can't afford to be distracted at all or bad things can happen.

Glad that you're ok, it could have been ugly.
        2007 Honda CBR600rr
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
        sigpic

Comment

How old are your tires? What are your pressures set at?

Honestly, it sounds like you were over-riding your familiarity with the road. I'm glad to hear that you are okay, and are able to use it as a lesson.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
            Dan,

Sounds like you are still a pretty new rider. Is that right? If so i would recommend you take those earbuds out till you can know what the bike is doing by feel alone. You should still be able to hear the bike some with buds in as well when you are ready for that step.

be leary with using the rear brake only for turns. Also you should not be braking in turns especially if you are not ready for the rear to step out. You shoudl have your speed for the turn set and off the brakes before you enter. This ensures your suspension is fully ready for the turn only and not braking AND the turn. This is important for handling.

Bikes only do one thing as a time really well.... So pick between braking, acceleration, or turning. The second you start mixing is when you lower your bikes abilities

I am still a pretty new rider. I agree with the ear buds. I may still use them for long rides on the interstates, but not for anything else for a while.

Also, I didn't say anything about using the rear brake only for turns. I said I'm not going to use the rear brake when setting up for turns, on steep downhills. The rear tire already seems very unloaded in that situation Also, the rear started sliding out on me before the actual turn.

I've actually been practicing more with trying to time the braking/turn in to keep the suspension stable, rather than trying to go fast. I understand that stability with bikes in turns has a lot to do with not upsetting things.

Thank you for the input.

I do have several issues I need to work on with regards to technique.

I'll expand on that later though. Work needs my time for the moment.

Comment

+1 to what Soulpatch said.

And yes, if you are already on a downhill grade and let off the gas alone, there is enough weight transfer to the front that it will not take much pressure on the rear brake to lock the tire. Set your entry speed first, then make your turn and as you start to exit the corner, roll on the throttle to plant the rear and start to stand up the bike.

With practice, you will start to feel more comfortable and will find you can manage most corners without applying brakes, letting the engine braking slow you enough for the corner and the throttle to bring you out, all with minimal input on the bars.

Practice, practice, practice....
              2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
              BMC Notorious 918 HT
              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                How old are your tires? What are your pressures set at?

Honestly, it sounds like you were over-riding your familiarity with the road. I'm glad to hear that you are okay, and are able to use it as a lesson.

I checked the date codes yesterday after it happened. 5006, so a little old, but not overly so.

Also, it was the first time I'd ridden that road. So no familiarity at all.

Comment

ooOOoo. ygolo. buddy!
                  glad to hear you're in one piece. please, keep it that way!
                  kthnx.

=)
                  the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                  # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                  [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

I am happy you are ok. Tough lesson, but a good reminder for me - Setup before you begin your turn. I too, will soon be making a ride on unfamiliar roads soon.

Comment

I'll not offer any advice, I think it's mostly been covered alreay. I will say everyone makes mistakes... The true measure of a rider is how they react and learn from mistakes.

Keep it safe and keep learning.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

locking up the rear is no fun ..i use it mostly to help slow the fast momentum on stops , 20% rear 80 % front , but in corners a light pump or two pumps is the most i use on the rear for the fact i dont want it to lock up .............. ride safe and dont take chances..

Comment

Glad you were able to tell the story, now get that rear tire replaced.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Get the tire replaced because of the date code, because of a possible flat spot, or just because?

I'm honestly asking here due to being a beginning rider.

Comment

Sorry, flat spot, got interrupted while posting and just hit "post." If you slid as far as you describe it, you probably have a nice lumpalumpalumpa coming from the rear now.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X