X

Been away, started bike up today v. problmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been away, started bike up today v. problmes

been away from the bike for about two months and came back to her today. Well the battery was dead, so charged it no problems, took a while to start but it finally did, then it would randomly rev up to 3-5k rpms.....what is causing this? it also backfired once.

My guess is bad gas, and the carbs are probably gummed up as well.
    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by SGTJimbo_Kat600 View Post
      My guess is bad gas, and the carbs are probably gummed up as well.
      +1
      If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

It's carb time ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Get some fresh gas in her, and add a bottle of Techron for good measure, before tearing into the carbs - that will help to clean up some of the gum and varnish that might be present.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

best way to drain the gas?

Comment

1) remove Tank from bike
              2) Note which hose is the fuel line
              3) Place tank on Even surface with petcock hanging free (not sitting on something- so it does not get damaged)
              4) Insert a hose (I use a piece of medium sized Aquarium Air line) or place a large bucket under the Petcock
              5) Open the Gas Cap
              6) Turn Petcock to Prime
              7) let the tank drain- this is not drain and forget- I overflowed a 5 gallon Gas Can this way

There ya go.

Assembly is the reverse of above
              Make sure you have a can with at least a gallon of fresh gas to replace so the bike will fire- then get it to the gas station

Comment

Want an easier way ?
                Loosen fairing enough to gain access to fuel lines . Remove lines . Attach extra/spare lines , and run 'em to a can . Turn to prime . Go in house & have lunch whilst it drains .
                However , once the tank's empty , any crud in the will now be sitting at the bottom just WAITING for fresh gas to be dumped in . Now's a good time to take off the petcock to clean , and rinse out the tank . Which means using the above method posted by Rodimus anyway . But if you're sure there ain't gonna be much crud in the tank and ain't worried about it ......
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X