X

noobie question front tire slipping?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noobie question front tire slipping?

I just noticed today when I am going around corners at normal sppeds it feels like the front tire wants to slip right out from under me. What could cuase this? My rear tire was low the other day had like 20 PSI so i pumped it up to 35psi. I had the front tire at 35 also. I now let 5psi out of the front so now its 30psi.

Will this fix whateveer is going on? any help would be great. Thanks
    2000 Kat, stage 1 DJ, Progrip grips and tank protector, painted windscreen, tinted fron turn signals, DIY fender eleminator, rear carbon fiber turnsignals, Syslvania ultra headlights. debadged.

how old is your tire? and what brand is it? tires get hard over time. even if theres tread left they may not stick like they should alot of heat cycles on a set of old tire will harden them over time increasing the feeling of the FE sliding out.

Comment

its a metzeler 120/70r 17, not sure about the age I just got the bike about 2-3 weeks ago.
      2000 Kat, stage 1 DJ, Progrip grips and tank protector, painted windscreen, tinted fron turn signals, DIY fender eleminator, rear carbon fiber turnsignals, Syslvania ultra headlights. debadged.

Comment

I'm 220lbs and run my tires 36 front 41 rear, you may have a cupped front tire due to running at low psi. This may be what you are feeling when you turn.
        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Either cupping or old tires. You can check the date code on the tires and if they are more than 3 years old replace them. I never run my bike tires more than 3 years no matter the tread depth. After that amount of time they start to get hard and will start to slip. Also you have to be aware of age cracking/checking also. Better to replace and be safe than to push it and have one come out from under you or blowout at the worse possible time.

Just my 2 cents on this one
          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Or it could be technique ......
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i agree with the old tyre thing - i had a bridgestone battlax on the back of mine - it was practically an unused tyre - all tread left on it as new - but it was old - digging it in to a corner i may as well have been going over oil on the road - and acceleration used to spin the wheel without gripping - new squiggy rubber sorted that out - - 20psi sounds low deffinately should help a little pumping them up
              i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

cool thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                  Or it could be technique ......
                  +1

As to tire pressures, start with the ones on the swingarm and work from there.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I'm not sure I still have to look at the date on tire. Would an out of date tire just start doing it overnight?

Thanks for everyones help on this

Comment

Recheck your tires to make sure you didn't pick up a nail or screw, and causing a slow leak. If you are running Metzlers, try bumping the front to 36-37, and the rear 39-40, and see how that affects the handling.
                      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

ok, diavolo I will do that!

Comment

Originally posted by amazinkat View Post
                          I'm not sure I still have to look at the date on tire. Would an out of date tire just start doing it overnight?

Thanks for everyones help on this

It starts pretty quick but usually you get small warnings for a month or so first.
                          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

i aired them up then went for about a 100 mile ride today and had NO Isues. I am still going to replace both tires. Are Metzlers a good tire?

Comment

yes
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X