Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I'm SO glad i'm not mechanically clueless....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm SO glad i'm not mechanically clueless....

I'm really glad I'm not mechanically clueless, like a lot of folks...

I used to work on cars for myself, helped friends with cars, worked in a body shop, etc, did engine swaps, all sorts of crap.

I've always done my own oil changes, and repair work when i can...

which leads me to todays "Stupid Kat Problem"...that I shudder to think what the dealer would have charged to diagnose and fix.

yesterday, rode no problem, today early, no problem, later in the afternoon i decided to hit the local stealership for oil and a filter.

about 1 mile form the house, the bike started choking and sputtering, RPMS dropped, and it wanted to turn off.

at a light, it smoothed out, and I just wondered if my gas was lower than the gauge indicated, so I reached down, switched to Reserve, and headed for the gas station.

Took off from the stop, hit 2nd, was about to shift into third when the bike stuttered and DIED.

Coast to a stop on the side of the highway, and try to start it, no deal.
    Pop the gas cap, LOTS of gas.

on a hunch, i switched to PRIME for 10 seconds, and the bike started right up.

great.. either the petcocks blown, or the vac line is bad.

So I head back home with the bike in prime, and park it.

I loosen the fairings up, unbolt the tank, and turn it sideways to check the petcock and vac line.

pull the line, its clear, and free of obstructions. Petcock is good too.

Now I'm thinkin CRAP, i gotta dig into the carbs....but as I bend own to look at the petcock vac port on carb 4, i notice that somethings in the port itself.

i get the tweezers, and pull out a 1/4" long cone shaped chunk of rubber that was blocking the port.

i can only assume that this is a manufacturing scrap from the vacuum line itself, I replaced it when i rebuilt the leaky petcock last fall.

pulled it out, made sure the vac port was clear, reattached everything, and buttoned it up.

Test ride at high Rs in every gear proved that was the issue.

again, i shudder to think what a dealership or shop would have charged me to diagnose and fix that, cuz thats WAY obscure

See My Garage for mods...
    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

yea good to have a brain
    I had the rubber donut on back of air box fall off on my way to work the day after I bought my kat
    Would only power into high rpm with choke on
    Ended up riding about 10 miles like that to get back to work and then back to the dealer ,better than a tow
    The mechanic had a heck of a time trying to figure it out
    I pointed it out, thankfully it was still under warranty
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Knowledge is power .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

thats sucks when i ride i think of how much gas i have and cops

120 and above tops 152 that sucks need more speed need to get gsxr insteed of gsxf
        Last edited by brian t; 05-09-2009, 03:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by brian t View Post

120 and above tops 152 that sucks need more speed need to get gsxr insteed of gsxf
          Semper Fi
          1 Mar Div 3rd LAR BN (01-05)

Comment

Originally posted by jimwag81 View Post
            same thoughts.....

but it is good to know your way around for sure....I am pretty mechanically inclined, though have lots of room to learn.....some things I will tackle alone, some I will make sure to have a buddy with me who is also mechanically inclined...
            if it's something I can't do, I'll take it to someone who can, which is usually friends of mine who work in a shop
            vwvortex.com : jettajake00
            midmoriders.com :jettajake00
            Go Cardinals!

Comment

Wait...what??
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Good work

Comment

That is ironic,I drive a lift truck was having about the same symptons.Had a new fuel pump put on at the tune of $400 dollars was good for 2 days and same thing started to happen again.Was really had to restart.Ended up being the same thing,long strings of rubber restricting the fuel line now runs like a champ.

Comment

What???
                    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                    ------------------------------------------
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I've got a good one. I run a small 6 bay auto shop. Last week a customer of ours tows in an acura that supposedly needs a starter (dealership quoted over 1000.00). We go to inspect and find that it has no start signal at the starter. Long story short, after checking relays, security system, PCM, hardwires, etc. We found that a 10amp fuse...that has nothing to do with the starter...was blown. However, it is one of the 25 inputs that the security computer needs to give the OK to start. Furthermore, it pops immediately when you put a new fuse in. So we start tracing down the wires and find that an O2 wire that runs underneath the pass. seat had gotten stuck in between the seat and track and rubbed through. We only charged about $500 for our time to fix it. I would have loved to see how acura would have handled it. "oh yeah...sir...the $1000 starter was bad...but you also had a bad fuse too." Its always interesting.

Comment

Working...
                      X