X

Kat frame duplication...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat frame duplication...

So here I was staring at a couple of the amazing heavily modified bikes (Waltari's and Kwebbel's for example) thinking about some of the mods I have in mind coming up when a thought hit me.

How much of a weight difference would there be if the majority of the Kat steel frame and swinger was redone in aluminum?

If the goal was to have a full fairing bike, but with the least amount of weight possible utilizing a B12 engine, with the styling of a Katana 600... would this be a help towards that goal?

I've been toying with the idea of picking up another 600 frame with a good title this time to start a ground up build (it would be completed prior to it's first ride on the road) as opposed to the work I've been doing for my daily rider (small staged modifications with little or no down time). The cost of a used bike frame in this area still puts me with in the range of raw materials to make a frame from scratch with aluminum. (with time and fabrication not included, but then time and fabrication is all part of the fun, isn't it?)

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it? Will it be an improvement at all? The goal would be a bike that was highly stylized after a Katana 600 as an inspiration, but the primary focus would be exotic and performance upgrades and design. Something that you would look at and know it was based on a Kat, but really stands out and performs well.

Just atm....

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

schaweeet! do it!

as far as weight goes... I dont know how much the frame alone weighs... it just sounds like alot of fun to do
    -chuck

[myspace] [facebook]

Comment

That has been done by Suzuki...they made a performance bike based off of the Katana with an Aluminum frame and performance engine...it's called the HAYABUSA....

Seriously if your looking to tinker around and go with the fabrication, which it going to take a lot of work, you might as well get a GSXR. The Katana wasn't created for performance it is a commuter bike.
      Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
      Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Originally posted by Jax View Post
        That has been done by Suzuki...they made a performance bike based off of the Katana with an Aluminum frame and performance engine...it's called the HAYABUSA....

Seriously if your looking to tinker around and go with the fabrication, which it going to take a lot of work, you might as well get a GSXR. The Katana wasn't created for performance it is a commuter bike.
        GSXR is already fabricated, so if I'm looking to tinker and fabricate, why choose something that is done already for me?....

No offense, but I'm not looking for "just buy something" answers... I'm looking to make something unique but stylized on the Katana.

Why the Kat?... because I really like how that bike looks over every other bike out there. So I'm looking at the best of both worlds... performance AND the look.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I say go for it. If I had the welding equipment and experience I think that would be an awesome project. It would certainly be a long term project (at least for me) but quite a fine accomplishment when it was all done. Might it be a little expensive - sure. But not everything needs to be an investment. If you think you are the type of person that is going to enjoy the challenge and the hours tinkering, I say it is worth the money. Sure you can buy something that is quicker, blah, blah, but there is more to life then invesments and what bike is faster.

Although if you put a B12 in the aluminum frame, you may be challenging that "faster" arguement.
          -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post

Although if you put a B12 in the aluminum frame, you may be challenging that "faster" arguement.
            Originally posted by Kwebbel
            Guess I reached my goal, the bike is running and handling great and I'm toasting my friends with their liter SS-bikes in the twisties now.
            Not my goal, but certainly a possiblility.

I'm not out to make the fastest greatest bike evaaarrrr.....

I'm out to make a nice, custom, fast performance bike stylized after a Pre Kat 600... Not the fastest, just... faster.

The more I comtemplate the idea, the more I'm inclined to do it just for the experiance and fun of... doing it. I know my welder would drool at the thought of starting from scratch with a frame.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

Skip the alluminum frame and go space age, Try to make a carbon fiber frame.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
                Skip the alluminum frame and go space age, Try to make a carbon fiber frame.
                Hey, now there is an idea.... hrm...

Someone posted about a carbon fiber bike frame recently. Was it solid CF or did it some kind of skeletal support as well?

I'll see if I can find that post....

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

I would imagine some kind of honeycomb core would be used. But
                  -2000 "750"

Comment

Oh, let me rephrase that... by "solid CF" I was meaning more only CF was used, and did not have an alternative materials as a skeleton... not as cut through it and it is solid core entirely.

still looking for info on that other CF frame bike.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

im not entirely sure why you would want to - your basically setting out to make a gsxr wich are radily available to buy

the gsxf has a pig ugly frame anyhow
                      i can see how the idea of an ally frame might be appealing - i have had a gsxf frame stripped down and its still as heavy as a tractor - the gsxr frame i dunno if anyone here has had them both to compare but youd swear it was filled with helium

if your going to build an alloy frame and have the cost and know how of good alloy welding - id say build an alloy frame that looks pretty - take the measurements from the gsxf frame and build a spondon style tubular frame from the alloy that wil fit the original gsxf plastics on but still loks pretty when she is naked
                      barry sheene raced an rg500 with a tubular alloy frame and the original fairings - im sure his frame was a harris
                      and it looked neat
                      i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Originally posted by bigbike-r View Post
                        im not entirely sure why you would want to - your basically setting out to make a gsxr wich are radily available to buy

vs

You know, these two bikes look NOTHING alike...

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

didnt say they did - but performance wise is what you are setting out to do?? alloy frame to make it lighter unleash a bit of power??

the first gsxr - oilcooled motor in an alloy frame
                          then they made the gsxf using the gsxr engine - toned it down and slapped it in a steel frame.

a slabside doesnt look like a k9 but ho hum
                          i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

CF frame-in-fairing designs (monocoque CF frames) -- current Ducati GP9 MotoGP bikes, the '67 Ossa GP bike, the Honda NS500, and Britton's endearing creations.

Also go read this:

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Moderators, could you please remove the hijacking posts referencing GSXRs from this thread? It has nothing...

and I mean absolutely nothing...

to do with improving upon the stock design of a Pre Katana.

This is a Kat forum right?

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X