X

do I need to grease anything on the bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• do I need to grease anything on the bike

The manual indicates there are some grease points on the bike...I dont see any. Anything I need to oil or grease other than the chain?

06 600

all the grease zerks, the swing arm one comes to mind first.
    "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

I guess I'll take a better look tonight but I just didn't see any fittings.

Comment

I have an 06 600. I just looked at the rear swing arm and I didn't see any grease zerks on it, and I haven't seen any elsewhere. maybe a joke...

But, because I am a maintenance junkie, I think I will go over the bike tomorrow and maybe hit all the little pivot points with a little lithium spray grease. I am thinking the shifter, rear brake, front brake, clutch and both kick and center stand pivots.

I think the rear swing arm bearings can wait to be repacked until the chain is replaced. Maybe do the front steering bearings at the same time as that.

It is a good idea to flush your brake fluid every year as it is hygroscopic. Meaning it absorbs water / moisture. I found on my old bike it made a noticeable difference in lever feel and travel.

Some people like to lube their cables too. Something I have never got into, but maybe something like a little silicone spray or something would help there.

What I think anyway, you can neglect almost everything on a cage and it will just quit or break but you will be ok. On a motorcycle maintenance is very important as, if something wears out and lets go, you may die.

J

Comment

I don't think the kat's have any zirc fittings on them, but if you check out the wiki you'll find the service manuals which indicate where things can be greased.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

In the manual section 1.2 describes the lube points for you http://www.metal-fab.net/files/98~02...e%20Manual.pdf
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Cant speak for the posts, but my 92 600 has two grease fittings on the swing-arm pivot.
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

really !? ima go look on my 94 600
                Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                Tony
                94 Katana 600

Comment

From the manual

Section 1.2, Item 30, #2...

The suspension is not equipped with grease nipples. Remove the swingarm and suspension linkage as descrived in chapter 5 for greasing of the bearings.
                  I have not seen any grease nipples anywhere on my Pre... and I've had just about every part of it at one point or another.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Sorry I lied, I was thinking of my Honda.
                    Originally posted by arsenic
                    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Yes lots of them
                      Steering bearings and swing arm bearings, suspension pivot points
                      you need to grease the brake pivot point, shifter pivot point, side stand pivot points.
                      also the brake and clutchlever bolts/pivots.
                      you should also grease the caliper slide pins
                      98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

No grease fittings on my Kat. I took the swing arm off and packed every bearing with grease. Didn't get to the head tube bearings yet. packed all wheel bearings.

Comment

Dang, I didn't think about that or I would have greased up the bearing while I was changing out my sprockets and chain last weekend.

Comment

IMHO:
                            Kick-stand pivot, center-stand pivot -- every oil change.
                            Wheel bearings -- every time tires are swapped.
                            Swing arm bearings -- every fifth year or so.
                            Shock-pivot bearings -- every 2nd year, when you do the fork oil replacement.
                            Steering stem bearings -- every 2nd year, when you do the fork oil replacement.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                            X