X

Bike washing (do's and dont's)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike washing (do's and dont's)

Hey guys bit of a newb question but I've never had to wash my bike before and I was wondering what are the do's and don't's of bike washing?
    Can i use a pressure washer just like a car? Is it better to use like soapy water and a sponge? Should I disconnect the battery? ect.
    Any tricks or tips appreciated
    thanks
    1999 Katana 750

Originally posted by Dfurgi View Post
    Hey guys bit of a newb question but I've never had to wash my bike before and I was wondering what are the do's and don't's of bike washing?
    Can i use a pressure washer just like a car? Is it better to use like soapy water and a sponge? Should I disconnect the battery? ect.
    Any tricks or tips appreciated
    thanks
    Its bacically like washing a car. I dont reccomend a pressure washer. It can peel up the edges of stickers, take the clear off the wheels and paint, and get even farther into electronics than a water hose. Dont wash it while the motor and rotors are hot.
    01 Kat 750- daytona blue, black and gunmetal powdercoat, yoshi RS-3, 03+ tail section , Barnett Kevlar clutch and springs, 8k HID's, racerback seat cowl, polished lips and painted rotors, tinted windscreen, lowered, smoked turn and tail lights, intergraded led tail light KatRiders decals,184 White leds! More of them to come.
    Repaint this winter, along with some other stuff

Comment

if you use a pressure washer I would keep it back a ways from the paint so as to not blow it right off the plastic, and don't use the pressure washer on the chain unless you want to buy a new one soon due to missing o-rings. I prefer to just use a bucket of soap and water, clean soft rag, and a garden hose.
      John,
      '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
      sigpic

Comment

A pressure washer is great if you need to clean the hard to reach area's of your swing arm. It really does a good job of blasting away all that grime.
        Let's go riding!

Comment

I use the Mr. Clean car wash formula (the green stuff) with hot as hell water and a soft towel. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax after washing and then Meguiar's Quick Detailer to keep the shine up.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpie6 View Post
            A pressure washer is great if you need to clean the hard to reach area's of your swing arm. It really does a good job of blasting away all that grime.
            Pressure washing is also a great way to blow all the grease out of a fitting, and replace the grease with road dirt and rust.

The Sprint Manual specifically mentions NOT ever using a pressure washer on the machine.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Well then don't pressure wash fittings
              Let's go riding!

Comment

My thoughts EXACTLY! Ray.
                85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  The Sprint Manual specifically mentions NOT ever using a pressure washer on the machine.
                  I don't trust them triumph engineers, they have been selling bikes and forgetting to put the forth cylinder on for years!!
                  "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

I had a friend turn me on to a nice trick. If you put some whisk laundry detergant in a pressure sprayer, let it soak, and rinse it off it'll clean it up nicely. I usually do this whenever I take the farrings off.

Comment

Originally posted by 64dumptruck View Post
                      I don't trust them triumph engineers, they have been selling bikes and forgetting to put the forth cylinder on for years!!

90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I rode throught a Mikes car wash once, my bike got clean but the people working there werent to happy.
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

i havent doen this nor will i ever as im paranoid and find that a little elbow greese goes a long way but my brother in law used oven cleaner and everything from bugs from 2 months ago to grease and road grime just whiped off i asked him if thats safe for his paint and he said well we will see. But so far seems to be ok. Please if its not good please let me know so i can pass on the info

Comment

Put it this way,I used oven cleaner to strip my bike frames as a kid! Not a very bright idea to wash your bike with it!
                            Joker
                            The newest addition to the Family!
                            sigpic
                            stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

What if the dirt's the only thing holing it together .....
                              I don't wash mine anymore . Not because it's ugly , but because every time I DID , something broke . Seriously .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X