No announcement yet.
X

Bike washing (do's and dont's)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had mine for about a year now and haven't washed it once.

I'm thinking I should probably do that one of these days.

Comment

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post

Are you related to Md86?
      Blackdog
      DRz-400e plated
      Blue 05 750 (sold, sob)

Comment

Bike washing (Do's and Dont's) - Bikini Bike Washes : DO - Tip ... Don't Pull G-strings! Someone I know is still a little miffed over that one
        Currently Riding:
        1995 Katana 600
        V&H Exhaust
        Jet Kit

SOLD
        2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
        1987 XV700 Bobber
        REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

Just wash it?

Comment

A few additions -- starting with the most critical one: if you have a center stand, put the bike on it before starting!

1. If you haven't done it yet, fill up all the electrical connectors with dielectric grease. This will keep wash/rinse water out of them (as well as driving rain, etc.). More here:

2. If your seat is leather (say you have a corbin saddle instead of the OEM seat), wrap it in a plastic trash bag (a huge one) and latch it back into place. This will keep you from soaking the leather with the same chemicals you wash the rest of the bike with.

3. Wash the swingarm and wheels by hand first to remove the oil/sludge/road grime. Everyone has their own tricks to making this easier work -- mine is to use Sludge Away, a chemical specifically intended for removing chain lube. Do not use steel wool nor scotchbrite pads (both will scratch the finish of the wheels over time, ruining them). Set whatever rags/sponges/tools you used to clean them aside afterwards, so you're not tempted to use it on the rest of the bike.

4. Now wash the rest of the bike like you would your car. Same basic treatment.

5. Afterwards, windex on a paper towel for the gauge faces, the mirrors, the windshield and the headlight casing. Wax as you would a car.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by tjroux View Post
              I figure:
              If I keep it clean, I will notice if something is broken or not working right alot easier
              People will take me seriously
              Seriously ? Have you seen MY bike ? What's not to take seriously ? Yeah , I DO look at things to make sure stuff's working like it should . Wheels got the proper amount of air , chain's good & greasy , brakes are clean & work , moving parts move ..... . I'd much rather RIDE the damned thing than waste half the day polishing . It's THOSE guys I don't take seriously .....

Originally posted by PilotC150 View Post

Originally posted by Blackdog View Post
              Are you related to Md86?
              I don't believe I have any relatives in Mn , but I DO like the way this guy thinks .
              Last edited by md86; 05-08-2009, 12:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                I'd much rather RIDE the damned thing than waste half the day polishing.
                Sing it brotha! If it's nice enough to wash, it's nice enough to ride, so why TF aren't they out there riding? Bike owners vs. bike riders.
                Pics
                Pics
                No pics yet
                Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Maybe someday I'll get around to washing my bike for the second time in 3 years

Should maybe do the car also ... haven,t washed it once since I bought it new in january 05
                  Guylaine
                  Try and keep up now

Comment

Originally posted by Sky View Post
                    Maybe someday I'll get around to washing my bike for the second time in 3 years

Should maybe do the car also ... haven,t washed it once since I bought it new in january 05
                    I would bother washing it now. The dirt maybe the only thing holding the car together

Comment

after every 2-3 rides I jut do a quick 5-10 min clean usually with a duster cloth, warm water, micro fiber cloth, windex and water mix, and goo gone if needed for grime, then a meg-detailer wipe down to keep my wax luster...this is after I put about 4 coats of wax on it when I first bought it 5 weeks ago, and the guy I had bought it from had washed it up before I bought it...
                      put about 1100 miles on it since then when I can in between all the rain we been having lately, got caught in it a couple times though so had to wipe it down good then....
                      I think doing a quick clean after every couple rides makes it so I don't have to spend real time with a garden hose on it but once every 6-8 weeks.
                      I figure about at a 12-16 week timeframe will remove fairings and power wash it when it's naked-with the dielectric grease in my fittings as CP says
                      Last edited by jettajake00; 05-08-2009, 11:49 AM.
                      vwvortex.com : jettajake00
                      midmoriders.com :jettajake00
                      Go Cardinals!

Comment

Working...
                      X