Bike washing (do's and dont's)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no doubt!

Originally posted by md86 View Post
    What if the dirt's the only thing holing it together .....
    I don't wash mine anymore . Not because it's ugly , but because every time I DID , something broke . Seriously .
    I know the feeling!! I refuse to do an oil change on my truck as the sludge is about the only thing holding the engine together at this point!!
    Joker
    The newest addition to the Family!
    sigpic
    stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

I just use a bucket of water with some Simple green in it and a clean bucket of water. Then use the Honda spray polish/cleaner when I'm done
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

OMG Honda Spray Polish is the S**T!!!
        Joker
        The newest addition to the Family!
        sigpic
        stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by 64dumptruck View Post
          I don't trust them triumph engineers, they have been selling bikes and forgetting to put the forth cylinder on for years!!
          or - are they big twins and the generosity of us brits, we just chuck on a free cylinder for good measure

i wait till it rains - then chuck the bike out in it
          Last edited by bigbike-r; 05-07-2009, 09:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
            I just use a bucket of water with some Simple green in it and a clean bucket of water. Then use the Honda spray polish/cleaner when I'm done

Ditto.....I've found this Simple Green foam that works like a charm!!
            This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
            BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Hm.

I just paint my bike a flat, dirty gray color at the beginning the fall, and a pretty, glossy pollen yellow at the start of spring =)

Saves a ton of headache.

--B

Comment

Sponge bath it, after all the long hours of riding it it needs some TCL

Comment

Lousy stink'in hot water with dishsoap and a sponge. They make those little "sponge on a stick" for dishes...they're good for hard to reach places. Then Meguires- and Meg. quick detailer once a week or so. I've got a decal peeling up right now b/c of a pressure washer.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                  -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I use the honda spray to both clean and polish... it does both at the same time.

Comment

Im a big clean freak when It comes to my bike

I clean it before I ride ( whipe all surfaces down with honda polish, check chain, tighten all fairing bolts as well while im doing this )

1. Once a week she gets a nice HOT soapy wash with dawn and hot water from the tap inside ( buckets thrown on the bike and washed and more buckets thrown on it to wrinse it )
                      2. Then Clean with honda polish ( incase theres any dust on it )
                      3. Then I put coat after coat after coat of Mcguires Carnoba wax... usually 3-5 on the tank, 3-5 on the front and 5-10 on the under tail ( gets lots of crap on it )
                      4. With this weekly cleaning I also clean the chain ( havent had to use kerosene yet but will if i need to ) then i take the bike for a quick ride, come back put it on the rear stand and spray the chain down with chain wax
                      5. Clean rims with honda polish, then use a silicone spray, spray it on, let it sit for about 40 seconds, then start the bike and put in gear and hold the rag on the rim and watch it shine
                      6. Whipe down all rubber parts, cable covers, any black plastic with more honda polish.
                      7. After this is all done. I tighten all fairing bolts once a week as well as almost every ride

Am I to anal about my bike?? 1800 miles on it and nobody would know it didnt just come off the show room floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                        Then Meguires- and Meg. quick detailer once a week or so. I've got a decal peeling up right now b/c of a pressure washer.
                        I always thought the detailer was the bomb till I started actually waxing. Now, the detailer just puts that ridiculous shine on it after you're done. Worth every penny in my book
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm still looking for a wax that I REALLY like for the bike. I use Meg. for my Jeep, and it does fantastic- but it's not quite enough shine on the Kat.

-Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
                            I'm still looking for a wax that I REALLY like for the bike. I use Meg. for my Jeep, and it does fantastic- but it's not quite enough shine on the Kat.
                            Really? I use the cleaner wax and it's phenomenal. Possibly the clearcoat on your fairings is worn down a bit?
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I suppose that could be the issue. What I really need to do is strip it with a decent paint cleaner and start from scratch (clay bar dark spots, etc). I just never want to put six or seven hours into cleaning when it's nice enough out to ride! Like I said- it shines, just not exactly the way I'd like. Of course, it's the first yellow anything I've ever owned, so maybe I just don't know good when I see it.

-Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

I figure:
                                If I keep it clean, I will notice if something is broken or not working right alot easier
                                People will take me seriously
                                And why not, i just spent 10k on it, might as well take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X