X

Extra helmet on the helmet lock?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra helmet on the helmet lock?

I hope i'm not covering old territory, but I looked for a post covering this topic and didn't find one. Is it safe to take short, city rides with a helmet on the rear helmet lock (the key operated one)? I know the owner's manual says that it's a bad idea, but i can't see where it interferes with control of the bike. If so, what should I do with my extra helmet if I'm going out planning (or hoping to) meet someone who'll end up riding on the back?
    SM

use the helmet lock under the seat. on the left side of the bike, under the seat, you'll see a little metal clip. hook the D-ring onto there, and you're good to go
    2004 Katana
    GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 02Katana600 View Post
      If so, what should I do with my extra helmet if I'm going out planning (or hoping to) meet someone who'll end up riding on the back?
      SM
      Bungee net .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by SilentTJ View Post
        use the helmet lock under the seat. on the left side of the bike, under the seat, you'll see a little metal clip. hook the D-ring onto there, and you're good to go
        While I'm riding? Why that one? I figured the other helmet lock would be better because it's further back, and therefore less in the way...

Comment

While I'm riding? Why that one? I figured the other helmet lock would be better because it's further back, and therefore less in the way...
          bc the helmet lock is down lower and the straps could possible fall down into the chain....and that would probably not end up good...if its hooked up under the seat, its away from the chain
          sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
          k9 GSX-R 600
          GO VOLS!

Comment

i always strapped it to the grab bar when i carried an extra....it rides fine there...just run the chin strap through the grab bars then snug it up like you would on your head....it will ride right there till you take it off....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Locking in onto the lower lock would also place the helmet closer to your chain, and down low to the ground - if you were to get down low in a left hander, you could easily catch that helmet. Better to bungee it on the seat out of harms way.
              2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
              2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I agree bungee or grab rail. Safer and out of the way.
                If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

I use the bungy for hat or extra helmet stays right where i put it. I even brought a tube for my lawn tractor home with the bungy net on the back of the bike didnt move an inch.

Comment

I like the grab bar idea, but I may just spend the $10-$20 to get a cargo net. Seems like it would come in handy.

Comment

The cargo net is a good investment if you ask me. I keep mine under the seat and it has come in handy a number of time.

Comment

Indeed . It's a must-have . Holds a leftover pizza box GREAT .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

i cargo netted a 100 amp 16 space breaker box onto the back of the skoot, along with a sack of parts from the home depot. darn breaker box carton was close to 24"x18"x5" thick, and the sack pretty full.
                          99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                          1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                          '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                          Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Yes, like some said, just use the hook under the seat. Loop the D-ring in there and the helmet will lay snugly against the bike frame and give you plenty of room for your left leg. I've ridden this way several times and never have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                            X