X

Kat dies when put in gear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat dies when put in gear

okay so just got done swapping a 2002 600 engine in my 91 600 frame. When I go to put the bike in gear it dies on me. There is a plug with 3 wires coming off of the new clutch cover that was not on the 91 clutch cover, does this have anything to do with it?

my guess is the kick stand switch
    2004 Katana
    GO OWLS!!!

Comment

kick stand switch

Comment

Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

okay, i didn't know thte pre's had em, how do i fix this? or how do i disable it? i know your gonna say i shouldnt, i know, just tell me how, please lol

Comment

i dont think it's the pre's that have them, but i could be wrong. but the post engines have one. it's just a tiny button that sits at the base of the kickstand that when the kickstand is up the button is pressed. so as far as disabling it, i'm not electronics expert, but i'd imagine you have to just wire it in a way that it thinks that there is a button, and it's being pressed.
            2004 Katana
            GO OWLS!!!

Comment

yes the pre's had the sidestand switch too lol.
              John,
              '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
              sigpic

Comment

i am using the kickstand from the pre, how do i make it work? or disable it?

Comment

Pre's have a kickstand switch , yeah . But posts have the speedo sensor under the sprocket cover , too .... So yeah , check that sidestand switch . Since you did an engine swap , there's a good chance you didn't reconnect it afterwards .....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

okay, reason was i didn't have a kickstand switch, dont know if it somehow tore out inthe accident or what? but i put the on from the 02 on, however i'm having troubles locating where i plug it in. are the plugs the same? or will i have to cut and connect? here are some of the wires i have yet to connect are any of these the ones i'm looking for...

A little nest of wires not yet know where they go

these bottom two wires come off of the clutch lever and are y/g, the other female wire is y/w

Comment

ok pre switch is a black connection with a blade style connection and a barrel connection on a blk/white tracer on the one i have in my hand
                      Last edited by joshr08; 05-04-2009, 03:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

okay i dont see anything like that on my bike, what i have for open wires are the ones i have in the pictures plus few that go to the tail section. maybe something got torn off in my accident? would it be possible for someone to get a picture of where this plug goes into the wire harness?
                        also in the first pic near the top there is a plug with a red/black and a green/blue wire on it that leads down to the clutch, they must be important, am i missing something? a relay or something?

if someone could get a picture and help me out with this i would be VERY greatful

Comment

OK, pic of sidestand switch on my '00, note wiring run up along left side of sprocket cover.

Those wires run up to this green connector under rubber boot at side of air box.

And not recommended, but you can put a jumper wire in the connector on the bike side to bypass the sidestand switch. I'm not saying do it, so if ya break your neck because you left your stand down as you cruise off don't send you legal hounds after me.
                          2000 Katana 600
                          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

awesome pictures! thank you soo much but i need the pics off of a pre98 lol, i have an 02 switch and i need to wire it to the 91 harness and i cant find the plug

Comment

even tho its not the right pics the wires your looking for are in that same boot on yours. find that rubber boot and check should have a green wire with a single black connector on it and a black/wht tracer wire with a small clear rubber boot over it these 2 wires are together but seperate at the same time. i would take a pic but my 95 harness isnt in the bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X