X

Long hair under a helmet

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long hair under a helmet

I was showing a couple of female students of mine my spare helmet, and encouraged them to try it on (long back story here--not what it sounds like!). Two of the three had long hair, especially at the front, and couldn't keep it out of their eyes when they put the helmet on.

Hence my two-part question:

How many riders have long hair here; and

Those with long hair, how do you keep it out of your eyes under a helmet? Nets, pins, or is there a technique that works especially well for you?

Thanks for your feedback!
    High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

If your bangs are as long as the rest of the hair, and it's long enough to pull back into a pony tail or braid...... no problem, it's already out of the way.

If it's not that long, or you don't like the idea of a braid... (like most men I guess), tilt your head back, pull the hair back, put the helmet on with the chin of it down a little, so that when you adjust it on it's by pushing it back/chin up.

I suggest anyone with longer hair braid it, or use multiple hair ties to keep with from thrashing their shoulders and breaking the hair/tangles.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

just gotta make sure the mess is pulled back when the bucket goes on. Chin down and roll the bucket back does work the best as suggested above. when possible, i get the Wifie to braid my hair. failing that, i'll use multipe ouchless binders and make sure the pony makes it inside my coat. If i ride without a bucket, or a braid/pony of some kind i cant hardly get a brush thru the snarled mess after. even just a single tied pony leaves a major snarled mess. without a bucket my beard gets in my eyes goin down the road, but that's a whole nother issue.
      99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
      1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
      '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
      Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        If your bangs are as long as the rest of the hair, and it's long enough to pull back into a pony tail or braid...... no problem, it's already out of the way.

If it's not that long, or you don't like the idea of a braid... (like most men I guess), tilt your head back, pull the hair back, put the helmet on with the chin of it down a little, so that when you adjust it on it's by pushing it back/chin up.

I suggest anyone with longer hair braid it, or use multiple hair ties to keep with from thrashing their shoulders and breaking the hair/tangles.

Krey
        Cool! Thanks, Krey. I'm of the "crew cut" style myself (while I still have it), but it's something I've wondered about for a while.

Thanks for answering a follow-up question I was going to ask next! I've seen a few braids sticking out of a helmet, but wondered how people (especially women) cope with longer hair and helmets. Anybody tuck it under their jacket?

Originally posted by DumbLuck View Post
        just gotta make sure the mess is pulled back when the bucket goes on. Chin down and roll the bucket back does work the best as suggested above. when possible, i get the Wifie to braid my hair. failing that, i'll use multipe ouchless binders and make sure the pony makes it inside my coat. If i ride without a bucket, or a braid/pony of some kind i cant hardly get a brush thru the snarled mess after. even just a single tied pony leaves a major snarled mess. without a bucket my beard gets in my eyes goin down the road, but that's a whole nother issue.
        Thanks, Luck! When I've had a beard, it's usually been kept quite short. I ride a full-face helmet (like my avatar), so I never thought a beard would be able to blow back over the face-plate much.

Thanks also for the tips about tangles--both my wife and daughter have long hair and are starting to angle for a ride. I'll be sure to plan ahead (ahem) with ties, braids, or something similar.
        Last edited by Absyn-thesis; 05-03-2009, 10:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        High-velocity Geek

'06 GSX750F

Comment

What about a skull cap? http://www.skullcapcity.com/
          2000 Katana 600
          2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Ask md86
            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

When I had real long hair and it was not braided or ponttail I just tilted my head back when putting on my helmet, then tucked the rest in my jacket.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                When I had real long hair and it was not braided or ponttail I just tilted my head back when putting on my helmet, then tucked the rest in my jacket.
                Zackly!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Wear a beanie or bandana! I have short hair but I wear a bandana everytime.
                  ADRELINE JUNKIE!!!!!

"ALWAYS RESPECT WHAT'S IN BETWEEN YOUR LEGS"

sigpic

Comment

when my hair is long enough, i do a little twist and tuck job under my helmet... or use bobby pins (but those usually end up getting knocked by the helmet when its put on, and i later find they have fallen out of my hair, and into my jacket somehow)

i don't mind the bangs poking out a little, makes me feel a little girlier
                    the kat may be the gixxer's retarded cousin, but she's a hefty broad... and i do loves me some girth between my thighs.
                    # 99 HYPERSLOTH RACING
                    [02 gsx750f][03 cbr600rr]

Comment

Originally posted by katman05 View Post
                      Ask md86
                      Sported the pony tail for YEARS . Make sure you have extra bands . One long ponytail will get REALLY tangled , so add extra bands .
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

when I had long hair, I just pulled it all back into a pony tail (it was all the same length), and used a few hair rubber bands (every 4 inches or so) to keep it together
                        It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

i wear a bandana

Comment

Wow! I'm amazed at the number of guys who responded to this. (and what, two girls?) I can understand why a gal would like long hair - it's girly and pretty - but I just don't see why a guy would want long hair - it's girly and pretty. (Not to mention impractical and hard to take care of.) Of course, this is from a guy who's spent the last 20 years cutting his hair to 5/8" on top and 1/8" on the sides...
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                              Wow! I'm amazed at the number of guys who responded to this. (and what, two girls?) I can understand why a gal would like long hair - it's girly and pretty - but I just don't see why a guy would want long hair - it's girly and pretty. (Not to mention impractical and hard to take care of.) Of course, this is from a guy who's spent the last 20 years cutting his hair to 5/8" on top and 1/8" on the sides...
                              im a musician,kinda goes with the territory...i guess

Comment

Working...
                              X