X

This Kat's not getting lost!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Kat's not getting lost!

When I ride I tend to not pay attention to where Im going or how long Ive been out. I just pick roads that look like fun and go. Ive never gotten lost, but I have gotten stuck in the rain or so far away that it takes me hours to get home...

This Christmas my wife got me a GPS unit, so of course the first thing I think of is how to put it on my bike. Well with a little free time this is what I came up with....

I put a regular 12v socket under the right front fairing so I can use my car adapter to run the GPS. With the outlet I can simply unplug the GPS, snap the display off the mount and put it in my truck, if needed.

The metal strap under the guages was an afterthrought becuase I was afraid of vibration. But other than having a metal spear in front of my face I think it will work out well.
    Attached Files
    Originally posted by arsenic
    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

An interesting idea. I had thought of something similar to mount my cell phone (doubles as GPS) onto for my post Kat. Keep us posted on how it works out!

Comment

love gps when driving the unknown at night
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I need to get a gps on my bike waste alot less gas haha

Comment

I've made a quick mount bracket for my GPS on my Kat - I Mainly use the GPS for two purposes - Speed display in Km/h (not Mph as the Kat display) and for logging.
          I love to see tour data after tour is finished, max speed, avg. speed, total distance etc.
          Pluss it's easyer to show other people where I've been...

Google Maps for my small tripp yesterday

I sometimes use it for navigating, but driving in Norway is not that complicated

Comment

I keep this in my bags .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by SchOX View Post
              I've made a quick mount bracket for my GPS on my Kat - I Mainly use the GPS for two purposes - Speed display in Km/h (not Mph as the Kat display) and for logging.
              I love to see tour data after tour is finished, max speed, avg. speed, total distance etc.
              Pluss it's easyer to show other people where I've been...

Google Maps for my small tripp yesterday

I sometimes use it for navigating, but driving in Norway is not that complicated
              Nice little ride you had there, i show that you got rear-ended?!? what is that about?

Also, Hemikat, I really think you did a nice job on that GPS mount. It is for the most part clean and easy to get to or work with, while being (or at least seemingly) securely mounted. Kudos, if I were to do a mount I would do it that same way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon2288 View Post
                Nice little ride you had there, i show that you got rear-ended?!? what is that about?
                This thread explains it : A kat rear-ended me yesterday...

Comment

Thanks or the input! I ended up shortening the GPS mount about 2 inches. When riding with the sun on your back it was hard to see the display, so I had to get under the windscreen a little more. Works great now.

Comment

I mounted my TomTom GPS to the kat using a spare suction cup mount, on the front of the tank.

that sucker does NOT move, and its easy to see as the gauges.

My power solution was to wire a 12v waterproof outlet to a spare FUSED battery tender lead under the seat, so I can fully remove the outlet from the bike.

i plug the power adapter there, run the cable up next to the tank, and all done.

can just pop the GPS in my pocket when i get off the bike.

aslo, ran an earbud to the GPS so i can hear it, instead of having to watch it.

See My Garage for mods...
                    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                      Thanks or the input! I ended up shortening the GPS mount about 2 inches. When riding with the sun on your back it was hard to see the display, so I had to get under the windscreen a little more. Works great now.
                      Good idea because like your first post stated, it was a spear aimed right at you chest.
                      It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

That's interesting; I love the idea. This will be a good mod for me to try later. I have a terrible sense of direction...
                        Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                          I mounted my TomTom GPS to the kat using a spare suction cup mount, on the front of the tank.

that sucker does NOT move, and its easy to see as the gauges.

My power solution was to wire a 12v waterproof outlet to a spare FUSED battery tender lead under the seat, so I can fully remove the outlet from the bike.

i plug the power adapter there, run the cable up next to the tank, and all done.

can just pop the GPS in my pocket when i get off the bike.

I was going to use the sunction cup but was afraid of it fallin off. Glad it worked for you though.

Comment

i bought a ram mount for my gps because i can't make crap! I wish i could but dont have the tools or know how. Anyway, are you worried about your battery dying with the adapter plugged in all the time even when the gps isnt attached? I have the same deal on my and when the gps isnt attached there is a red light on the adapter that is lite when its plugged in whether the gps is on there or not. I'm afraid to leave it in there because i dont want a dead battery. Am i wrong in this thought?
                            Godspeed
                            CSBA #1167
                            Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                              Excellent idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X