No announcement yet.
X

This Kat's not getting lost!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will it stay dry being mounted behind the windscreen like that?

I've thought about doing something similar on mine, however I've always been worried about the unit getting wet from a freak rain shower.
    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

Rain tend to kinda roll over the top of the screen and down the back . I wouldn't trust ANYTHING on the bike to stay dry unless MAYBE it's under the seat wrapped in a ziplock bag ....
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by 600Kat4EB View Post
        i bought a ram mount for my gps because i can't make crap! I wish i could but dont have the tools or know how. Anyway, are you worried about your battery dying with the adapter plugged in all the time even when the gps isnt attached? I have the same deal on my and when the gps isnt attached there is a red light on the adapter that is lite when its plugged in whether the gps is on there or not. I'm afraid to leave it in there because i dont want a dead battery. Am i wrong in this thought?
        I wired mine to the fuse block so it is only powered when the key is on, that way no dead battery.

And the GPS comes off so easily that if it does rain I can take it off and stick it in my solo cowl for protection.
        Originally posted by arsenic
        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_750 View Post
          Will it stay dry being mounted behind the windscreen like that?

I've thought about doing something similar on mine, however I've always been worried about the unit getting wet from a freak rain shower.
          I keep a zip lock bag with me in my tank bag. If it rains, I put the bag over the top of the GPS and seal it up around the GPS. This allows me to continue to use the GPS in the rain, it works great.
          2007 Honda CBR600rr
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zepp View Post
            I keep a zip lock bag with me in my tank bag. If it rains, I put the bag over the top of the GPS and seal it up around the GPS. This allows me to continue to use the GPS in the rain, it works great.

Great idea, Zepp. I was curious how one could solve that problem.
            sigpic

Comment

Sweeet! I have been thinking about hooking my GPS up on the Kat. Baller.
              Originally posted by katanawarrior
              I keep coming here because of the smileys, really.

Comment

An option....

Sheet of lexan (clear), couple of hinges, and some silicon sealer.... Cut out and glue together with silicon to form a box to go around the unit with a lid on top using the hinges. Help to protect the unit from rain, dirt, etc while still able to see it. To use it, just flip up the top, make your changes, flip it back down.

Probably what I'll do when I get around to having spare cash for techno gadgets on my Kat...

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                  I was going to use the sunction cup but was afraid of it fallin off. Glad it worked for you though.
                  thought the same thing for my garmin,would hate to loose it cause the suctioncup didnt hold! anybody else use the sucker?
                  WOW! your bikes really fast! you were flying when i passed you!

xbox live= katana11
                  We Will Always remember!
                  sigpic

Comment

i also have my TOM TOM with me everytime i go riding on roads i am unfamiliar with

that way i can look on the GPS and see ahead if the turns are tight or smooth and i can ride my speed acordingly.
                    97 GSX600 w/ 9,363mi = $300 (Deal of the century)
                    94.5whp on a Dyno Dynamics

Comment

Originally posted by 4g vtec View Post
                      that way i can look on the GPS and see ahead if the turns are tight or smooth and i can ride my speed acordingly.
                      WHAT?!

That takes all the "OH *BLEEP*" out of the ride!

What's wrong with you?!

--B

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                        Probably what I'll do when I get around to having spare cash for techno gadgets on my Kat...
                        I'm in the same boat over here, lol!

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking of placing it in the map window of a small tank bag. But I guess location is not the best as you'd have to look down away from the road.
                          2004 GSX750F

Comment

I thought about that too... it would be fine if it was raining.

sigpic

Comment

Sweet!
                              '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

i have mine mounted on the top yoke on a pivot ball thing - id like to come up with an idea to protect it from the rain too - i thought about just putting a clear plastic bag over it but its not very reliable like that

with the unit in place

Last edited by bigbike-r; 05-06-2009, 06:25 AM.
                                i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Working...
                                X