X

buying a wrecked bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a wrecked bike

i have a 1994 katana gsx600f i am a new member to katriders and after searching the forms for a while i have had the mod bug scratching at the back for my head so i took one of the threads to heart and decided i would write down what i wanted to do to my bike and i have a few "long term mods" such as gsxr cam swap and swing arm swap now i the way i see it it would save me alot of money if i just bought a wrecked bike but what bike do i look for

Originally posted by delete1112 View Post
    i have a 1994 katana gsx600f i am a new member to katriders and after searching the forms for a while i have had the mod bug scratching at the back for my head so i took one of the threads to heart and decided i would write down what i wanted to do to my bike and i have a few "long term mods" such as gsxr cam swap and swing arm swap now i the way i see it it would save me alot of money if i just bought a wrecked bike but what bike do i look for

What kind of condition is your bike in. How many parts are you going to be able to use from one bike?

Swing arm swap and cam swap alone wouldn't be enough that I can see you really getting a better deal by buying a parts bike, unless your planning on parting it out what you don't use to pay for the parts you do. If that is the case, then that is alot of work and will take some time.

You may be better off just picking up what you need. More details on what you want to do would be good.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

well thats the problem i really dont know what i want to do to it this is what ive come up with so far fender eliminator kit mesh mod the cams and the sing arm but i dont really know what else i could do any suggestions

Comment

well thats the problem i really dont know what i want to do to it this is what ive come up with so far fender eliminator kit mesh mod the cams and the sing arm but i dont really know what else i could do any suggestions
        Fender elim and mesh mod you get can everything from lowes ( or similiar home improvement place) to do.

GSXR cams you can buy straight out, dont' need a whole bike for that.

Swingarm depends on what your wanting to end up with. But I know swingers are not overly expensive for either gsxr or kats atm, in the stock form.

Are you happy with the look of your bike?.. if not what you you want different.

Are you happy with the performance of your bike?.. if not, what do you want different.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The nice thing about getting a roller wreck to cannibalize is that you can get it for a whole lot less than you'd pay for those items separately. Like Krey says, it really depends on what you're looking for. Using me as an example (something I don't often recommend), I found a roller 750 and scavenged the motor, swingarm, shock, upper triple, gauge cluster, CDI and harness. I took the rest of the 750 and the parts I took off my 600 and sold them. Net cost to me... I made enough on the deal to pay for the jetting, advancer and a handful of other mods.

If it's just a rink-a-dink here and there, I'd say go piece by piece. But, if you can find something that will max out your modding, why not go all out with a roller and make the best of it.

just my two bits.
          "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

thanks for all the help everyone!!!! as for now i am still undecided what i am going to do. but 1 thing i know for sure is i love my katana and she loves me back lol i love being a part of this sight to this is my first bike and i will cherish it for many years to come ill keep everyone up to date on the mod situation and or the roller if anyone wnats to list some ideas or something for some mods i would like to hear all of them thanks again

Comment

if you do buy a parts bike, try to get one with punctuation. you could always use it when posting here, then your questions will be a bit easier to read.
              Last edited by Mojoe; 05-01-2009, 08:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                if you do buy a parts bike, try to get one with punctuation. you could always use it when posting here, then your questions will be a bit easier to read.
                Think he's part of the TXTing generation.
                "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

yeah ok
                  Last edited by delete1112; 05-03-2009, 02:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X