X

jet kit on its way

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jet kit on its way

i ordered the ivan's carb kit on monday ground shipped. i got an assortment of replies(i apprectiate them all, i love a wide perspective) and even researched a little and got the same. some think i need it some don't, most say afterfire is no worry, some say it will decrease engine life. so i bought the kit, play it safe. now for the install. it will b cool to have the extra little bit of growl. ivans say it works best with stock air and headers. whaddya thinks about fuel amnagement? dynatek 2000? juice box?
    thoughts create things

I got a jet kit in my 750 katana, and its incredible... you'll enjoy it thats for sure

Comment

I was unaware of fuel management options...
      -2000 "750"

Comment

Originally posted by Cheriff View Post
        I was unaware of fuel management options...
        I'm pretty sure jetting is the only fuel management option with carbs. Fuel injected bikes are tuned electronically.

Comment

Dynatek is the ignition system, and a Juice Box is a mapping tool for fuel injected motorcycles.

Your options are a jet kit, a jet kit, or a jet kit.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

has anyone got the dynatek ign yet?
            thoughts create things

Comment

I'd be better off putting that money up my nose. My dream project has EVERY upgrade, cost is not a consideration. You know what it does not have? I'll give you 1 guess. Oh it has Dyna coils, but not the Dyna ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by tobias View Post
                has anyone got the dynatek ign yet?
                I've seen a few people get their CDI's burned out by wrong aftermarket ingition/coil systems on the Kats (there's some wrong x-ref in one of the manufacturer's databases, the one distributed by Federal Mogul).

Not that it matters -- the basic bottom line is if you have a healthy spark, no amount of additional spark power will make one iota of difference to the amount of power of the bike. Want more power? Advancer (I've got 'em in stock)...

More details on advancers (what it does, etc): http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...ition_Advancer

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

+1 on the advancer, bought one from cp. I received and installed it yesterday and it is kick arse
                  "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

Put a DynoJet kit in my 750 and couldnt get the idle set right so I took it to have it professionally tuned. He replaced every jet so I pretty much paid $100 for 4 needles..... but, from what Ive heard an Ivans is better than Dynojet.
                    Originally posted by arsenic
                    93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                      Ivans is better than Dynojet.
                      a whole lot better.

Comment

Im sure arsenic will know.... not to be a thread jacker, but why the hell would they see a jet kit that makes you bike almost unridable? I followed the directions identically and then played with it for weeks before biting the bullet. The guy told me the main jets were too small, and the pilot jets werent right.... sorry to get off topic.

Comment

it's rather simple. The company "DynoJet" is in business to make money. They do plenty of R&D on bikes that sell, like gixers, the power commander is decent. You think DynoJet gives a flying **** up a running squirrels *** about a Katana?

Comment

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                            Im sure arsenic will know.... not to be a thread jacker, but why the hell would they see a jet kit that makes you bike almost unridable? I followed the directions identically and then played with it for weeks before biting the bullet. The guy told me the main jets were too small, and the pilot jets werent right.... sorry to get off topic.
                            To put it bluntly:
                            DynoJet had developed a kit for the pre-98 Kats and for those carbs on other bikes. When the 98+ bikes shipped, they bundled a solution using off-the-shelf parts without actually testing/vetting/redesigning a solution specific to the 98+ Kats. And that is what shows on the dynojet kit when you install it. The biggest problem for the 98+ DynoJet kits is that their replacement diaphragm springs are way too stiff (stick to the OEM springs) -- this isn't to say their engineering standards aren't crap by comparison to certain other brands, but their Katana jetkits are really crud compared to many of their offerings by virtue of being a red-headed step child. For a while there they were so desperate to unload excess that they cut K&N a deal to resell the Katana kits (and a number of others) under the K&N label as well (same kit, different sticker on the box) -- undercutting themselves just to shift them.

On the other hand, when Ivan decided he was going to make a kit for the 98+ Kat 600, he came on the precursor to KR (KP) and asked that someone bring him a bike over winter, and that the bike would ideally have both the stock and aftermarket upgrades available with it (owner got a jetkit + a perfectly tuned bike in return). Off he went into his workshop with this bike and for about five weeks I kept getting progress reports of him tweaking this, having the machine shop next door cut new needles to his specs, then him changing this, changing that. Then he came out and said "By Jove, we've got it!" (along with lots of dyno charts to prove he did indeed get it).
                            He immediately seeded me with a set of the same custom needles & jets, and I slapped them in back-to-back with the dynojet kit I had already been running, and the OEM jetting, and ran it all over a separate dyno down here in the Florida heat and humidity (R&R Performance) to make sure the results weren't specific to his location/weather/etc... And indeed Ivan really had done it. Perfect jetting right out of the box with no float-tinkering, and grinding out the header weld-seams or throwing a 750 header on the bike didn't throw it off either. And his dyno output matched mine.
                            More over, because he also tested it with some aftermarket mufflers, an aftermarket header and various intake filters, he knows what works -- so when he says (just like Marc over at FactoryPro does) that the K&N is crap in the 98+ Kats, I've seen the output to prove it.

The 750 kit was along the same lines, but took a whole lot less time to develop once that bike was in the shop because the basic concepts had already been learned on the Kat 600 (much fewer revisions to hit the same functionality). We slapped one of those into Malloc's bike soon afterwards, and the results were pretty much identical to what they had been for the 600 -- same mixture rates going across the board.

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Gotcha.... I havent picked my bike up yet to see how it runs but the guy down at the shop said its a better tune than any jet kit I can buy... but that could just be him blowing smoke up my arse. If it stops raining Ill go get it and let you all know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                              X