X

WTF...Windscreen Bolt Kit

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF...Windscreen Bolt Kit

Ok, so I had to finally replace the OEM ones since they were shot to hell. Now I can't seem. to find a replacement set that doesn't vibrate out. keep losing the rubber insert w/screw. I just replaced them AGAIN Friday before I went riding, I guess you know when I got home friday night they were gone. I replaced those saturday.....WTH those are gone too!!!.....WTF

That has to be the most simple part replacement on the freaking bike. Something tells me that these little kits aren't universal after all. Or could the holes in my windscreen be too big?
    This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
    BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Just get lock tight and it will NEVER come off

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKJFLOWERS View Post
      Just get lock tight and it will NEVER come off

Um, no I don't think I'd want to lock-tight a rubber grommet thingy to my front fairing and windscreen.
      BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Originally posted by FASHER View Post
        Um, no I don't think I'd want to lock-tight a rubber grommet thingy to my front fairing and windscreen.
        mount self locking nuts behind the bracket the screw screws into and get longer screws and they will thread into self locking nut and then not go anywhere

Comment

Use the blue lock. That should hold without being permanent.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm guessing that you're not installing them with the nut all the way at the bottom of the passage that it passes through...

I've never lost one off the bike except while working on them.
            But I do have the OEM ones here if you need 'em.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

RTV silicone sealant, like the stuff you use on your exhaust. Get a good amount in the threads. It will reduce vibration and hold them in place, yet still be easy enough to unscrew with tools.

Comment

I'm gonna toss in a Ron Ayes link.

I'm not losing part #7, both of those are good to go. I'm losing parts 13 - 15 here: http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...(MODEL_K4)_not Not just the screw, all three parts are gone.

Somehow, I need part 15 to be a bit larger. The rubber tends to swell over time and become a real PIA to get in and out. In fact that's how the OEM ones got trashed. Maybe I'll try some silicone.
                Last edited by FASHER; 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM.

Comment

15 is a rubber sleeve with a nut in it. The idea is that the bolt (#13) screws the nut up to the backside, causing the rubber to expand and hold the windshield in the hole of the panel (nut needs to behind both when the bolt gets screwed in). If the hole in the panel will let the nut out with the nut screwed up, then the hole has become deformed and it's going to be a PIA because it's too big -- you'll need to figure out how to melt some plastic in to close the hole up some again.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    15 is a rubber sleeve with a nut in it. The idea is that the bolt (#13) screws the nut up to the backside, causing the rubber to expand and hold the windshield in the hole of the panel (nut needs to behind both when the bolt gets screwed in). If the hole in the panel will let the nut out with the nut screwed up, then the hole has become deformed and it's going to be a PIA because it's too big -- you'll need to figure out how to melt some plastic in to close the hole up some again.

Cheers
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Got cha....On this set I have #15 is NOT expanding when the bolt (#13) is screwed in. I'm gonna try another brand if that doesn't work....I'll try tweaking the holes on the windscreen

Comment

head to your local hardware store and get a longer #15, that and a longer bolt will pull more of a bulge in the rubber body if the holes have enlarged it shoudl solve this. It does sound that way and not that they are unscrewing themselves, I think they are comming out as a unit.
                      Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

Originally posted by FASHER View Post
                        Got cha....On this set I have #15 is NOT expanding when the bolt (#13) is screwed in. I'm gonna try another brand if that doesn't work....I'll try tweaking the holes on the windscreen

If I remember from taking mine apart the rubber well nut (15)was threw windsheild and plastics (PO had dropped it)
                        When I put it back togather I only put it threw plastics , So for it to be gone the windsheild would also be gone
                        You need to tighten until the rubber mushrooms, right??

You should be able to get them at Homo Depot or Napa , believe they call them well nuts
                        Last edited by rexazz2; 04-27-2009, 06:26 PM.
                        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

i used those bolts on my gsxr and had a few rattle loose - never thought anything of it as the old gsxr's can get a bit vibrate-y at high speed anyway - i took the rubber surrounded bolts off and went to the local hardware store and got some small rubber washers to protect and some self locking nuts over those - they never rattled loose thereafter
                          i pinceh of copper grease on the thread too - i used those alloy anodized bolts as fairing fastners with an alloy self locking nut and overtime the weathering seems to weld them together and been alloy they just snap at the thread - i found a smear of copper grease was sufficient to stop them reacting with each other
                          the other thing i had was some plastic nuts and bolts that i got with a yoshi fairing they were good too
                          i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Working...
                          X