X

definition of the term " SQUID "

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• definition of the term " SQUID "

i"d just like to know exactly what this means and where it originated . case in point . i saw alot of kids out riding there bikes today . typical ss bikes gixxers , cbr"s , yamaha race type bikes . all these guys were wearing really nice helmets but were riding with shorts and t-shirts on . would these guys be squids in your opinion ? sorry i've been out of it for a while .

yes, they are squids.
    sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
    k9 GSX-R 600
    GO VOLS!

Comment

Squids waiting to be hamburger! Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Squid:

Stuipidly Quick, Underdressed, Imminently Dead !!!

SQUID!

Comment

Originally posted by gazoo View Post
          i saw alot of kids out riding there bikes today . typical ss bikes gixxers , cbr"s , yamaha race type bikes . all these guys were wearing really nice helmets but were riding with shorts and t-shirts on.
          Funny how as you were describing the riders in your area it sounded to me just like the type of idiot riders that are out in my area and then I noticed you're from Jersey too. Maybe Jersey is the squid capital of the U.S. and we don't even know it.

Friday afternoon on my way home from work I actually saw a few squids parked in the emergency lane of a very busy route 80 talking and trying to look cool with their white tee's on. I thought to myself maybe one of them had broken down but they looked like they were just hanging out for drivers to see them.
          We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

When I started riding back in '86 in So Cal, we reffered to squids as "Super Quick Until I Die". It had nothing to do with what they were wearing, as you very rarely ever saw anyone riding in sportbike type leathers on the streets. If you saw leather on a street rider, it was almost always a rider on a HD. Almost all sportbike riders on the street back then were in jeans or shorts, tank tops or T-shirts and tennis shoes, with maybe gloves and a helmet on (since helmets were optional back then). The very few guys you saw in full race leathers were called "Posers" lol. "Squid" just meant somebody (usually a newbie rider on way more bike than they could handle) that was always riding way over their head out of control, that looked like they were going to crash at anytime. Would have seemed a little odd for sportbike riders to come up with a name like "Squid" to describe someone that dressed the commonly accepted norm of the day, it got changed somewhere along the line since then. I still tend to determine squidliness by how a person rides, not by what they wear. The term also was commonly used to describe young kids that were driving around in high powered cars and couldn't keep them under control on the road.
            Last edited by Psycho1; 04-26-2009, 07:27 PM.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Funny that you said that. I went riding yesterday in a sleeve-less shirt and shorts, but with a helmet and gloves. Which is the way I mostly ride, I have a riding jacket, but sitting in traffic it gets hot so I normally only wear it when the weather is cooler. ... Yes I do think riding gear is important, but If I wasnt comfortable I dont think I would be riding.

And I hardly see anyone in my area wearing full gear in summer. But thats just my opinion.

What I hate is seeing the guy going down the highway at 70mph with no shirt and flip flops.
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

I'm with Hemi I ride shorts and t-shirt in the summertime, it is way too humid here to wear leather or full jackets, whether they are "summer gear" or not. I see it as driving a car, I'm not gonna ride with my seat too far or too close from the steering wheel or pedals because it would be uncomfortable, I'm not gonna ride my bike in full gear if I'm too hot cuz it would just be an unbearable ride.
                "If you aint first, you're last"

Comment

I live in florida, and our days are hot and lovely and almost all riders wear light clothing this time of year. I rode today with my helmet a pair of cutoff ACU's and a t-shirt and gloves (thats about how far I'll take it) . I have my ride jacket but I was just running to the store to get dog food, I understand you can get hit and ride teh pavement just getin gout of your driveway but I'll most likely ride with my riding leather when I hit roads with faster speed (ie. Highways, ST Roads).

Comment

I am relatively new to riding (almost a year) and have always worn my leather jacket. In fact me and a buddy went for a ride this afternoon with the temp about 90*. I don't care how much I sweat, how hot I get, I will always wear my jacket. I would rather be hot and sweaty then ever have the chance to go down and be hamburg. I would rather take a shower later, then have to go thru skin graphs. Sorry just my two cents.

The guys I work with kind of laugh at me but I don't care.

I wear jeans and my steel toe boots and Technik gloves also.
                    sigpic

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squid_(motorcycle)

Comment

lol, thats funny...yeah, I agree with a prior poster, always dress for the pavement, I'll practice this more often.

Comment

i agree that it can get very very hot here in florida. especially with the high humidity, sitting in traffic can get a bit too much. i still will always wear jeans, a jacket (leather for cooler parts of the year, and a mesh for the summer), helmet and gloves. i have a pair of boots i wear most the time, but i'll wear more casual shoes sometimes too. i agree that i would much rather be slightly uncomfortable than in agonizing pain. especially with a mesh jacket it's not too bad. when you're moving the airflow is great and you keep cool. sitting at lights for an extended period of time are rough, but not so much that you cant handle it. just like in your car, a seatbelt can be bothersome at times, but isnt it far easier to wear it anyway just in case.
                          2004 Katana
                          GO OWLS!!!

Comment

I always wear full leathers, even at the rally when it can get pretty hot in NC in July.
                            It's my skin and I like it and want to keep it too. Those who complain about it being too hot in the summer and don't gear up, I say it's your skin and your choice. I got knocked off my pedal bike years ago by a car wearing just shorts and running shoes doing about 20mph. It isn't fun getting little rocks scrubbed out from under your skin in the E.R.
                            R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Personally Im a finnicky person, If im uncomfortable I have a tendancy to consentrate more on that then anything else (just ask my wife ). If Im more comfortable, im more relaxed.

I guess its safe to say this is one of those debates that will never end....
                              Originally posted by arsenic
                              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Working...
                              X