Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Hopefully I'll have my bike back by this time next week.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopefully I'll have my bike back by this time next week.

I gave up on trying to deal with my carb issues and took the bike into the shop last weekend. They cleaned and synched the carbs for me and I picked it up the next day and rode it to work. On my way home I pulled up at a stoplight and smelled gas, so I took it back over there. I got a chance to talk to the tech that's been working on it and got the straight story about what's wrong. I walked out of the shop and he was already flying up and down the street on my bike. LOL... He gave me the whole story.

Apparently, at some point in the past, someone tried to overhaul/rebuild/screw with the carburetors and put the wrong size o-rings in the holes for the floats, then forced the floats in, bending them. In order to try and save me some money, they used a heat gun on the floats and tried to bend them back. He thinks they may be intermittently sticking open. Would have been nice if they had given me the option to buy the new floats and save the extra trouble for them. Well, long story short, after one more trip back to the shop, they're replacing all four floats.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know WHY floats for a 93 600 are three times the cost of floats for everything else? Oh well...
    1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
    1993 Suzuki Katana 600 [Sold]
    1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 [Sold]

I'd be at a new shop and the work so far would be free. Good luck.
    Where ever, whenever I go for a ride, may I be joined by friends that have died.

RIP Cyber Poet, watch over us all Marc

Comment

That seems a little off...they noticed it the second time but not the first when they cleaned and synced? Fishy business if you ask me...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I can't really fault the guy for trying to save me my money. To be honest, had he asked, I would have told him to try bending them back first anyway. When all is said and done, they will have disassembled the bike, taken the carbs off and worked on them four times and only charged me labor once.

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        That seems a little off...they noticed it the second time but not the first when they cleaned and synced? Fishy business if you ask me...
        Sorry, wasn't clear enough in my first post. They noticed it the first time they had them off.
        Last edited by wraith0078; 04-25-2009, 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        1997 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
        1993 Suzuki Katana 600 [Sold]
        1982 Yamaha Maxim 400 [Sold]

Comment

Originally posted by wraith0078 View Post
          I can't really fault the guy for trying to save me my money. To be honest, had he asked, I would have told him to try bending them back first anyway. When all is said and done, they will have disassembled the bike, taken the carbs off and worked on them four times and only charged me labor once.

Sorry, wasn't clear enough in my first post. They noticed it the first time they had them off.

Ahhhh ok. Well as long as they're fixing you up then
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Hmm hope you get it back soon.

Comment

Wow, what a story. Good luck with it, hope it comes out right this time.
              Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

hope all turns out well in the end

Comment

Working...
                X