X

tune up for my bike..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tune up for my bike..

Where can I get info on doing a tune for my bike... first bike and Im being told it needs a tune up
    Only bikers know why a dog sticks his head out of a car window...

Lots of info here depending on what all you need done.

The CyberPoet sells most basic tune up parts. Info on how to clean, adjust carbs, or other parts is here as well. Check the wiki, do a search, look around.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Unless you have receipts you have to assume no work has been done.
      *Adjust the valves
      *Clean carbs. (making all associated adjustments.)
      *Replace spark plugs (stock NGKs do not get gapped)
      *Synch Carbs
      *Change the tire air
      *Replace air cleaner
      But first buy a service manual..
      (Or download one here)

Comment

Hey BP...what does changing the tire air do? I haven't heard that before.
        sigpic

Comment

By the title of the thread, I thought you were trying out some new laces for your tennis shoes...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Originally posted by jdm5770 View Post
            Hey BP...what does changing the tire air do? I haven't heard that before.
            The air breaks down from the eddy currents created by the rotation and heat. Air as you know is mostly Nitrogen. But as the mixture is broken up into "droplets" of Neon. Helium, Hydrogen, Xenon etc, it can permeate the tire. This not only can lead to your tires leaking faster than you would like, it can coalesce into water that will lead to some nasty unbalancing. In fact as you keep filling the tires to replace the noble gases that escape you get a higher concentration of water, that water increases the effect of the separation of the air accelerating the process. Next thing you know.. Nastiness... That or I threw it in as a joke...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              The air breaks down from the eddy currents created by the rotation and heat. Air as you know is mostly Nitrogen. But as the mixture is broken up into "droplets" of Neon. Helium, Hydrogen, Xenon etc, it can permeate the tire. This not only can lead to your tires leaking faster than you would like, it can coalesce into water that will lead to some nasty unbalancing. In fact as you keep filling the tires to replace the noble gases that escape you get a higher concentration of water, that water increases the effect of the separation of the air accelerating the process. Next thing you know.. Nastiness... That or I threw it in as a joke...

BP is the Cliff Claven of KR!

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

HEY BP can ya gimmie the chemical breakdown on solid rocket fuel while your at it??? J/K bro great post
                Joker
                The newest addition to the Family!
                sigpic
                stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
                  HEY BP can ya gimmie the chemical breakdown on solid rocket fuel while your at it??? J/K bro great post
                  NH4-ClO4

Comment

ok now help me figgure out how the hellz to strap one of those bad boys on the back my boy has gotta R1 Id love to destroy!!! Muhahahahahha
                    Joker
                    sigpic

Comment

NH4-ClO4

Actaullly phenylcyclohexyl piperidine aka rocket fuel is:
                      C17N25H

Originally posted by arsenic
                      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

hahahaha thanks for the clarification!
                        Joker
                        sigpic

Comment

Alright, I'm convinced you people have waaaaaaay too much time on your hands.

Comment

LMFAO no kiddin huh?
                            Joker
                            sigpic

Comment

Standard army policy was to take the lowest ranked soldier in the unit and make them change all the summer air for winter air (and visa-versa) twice a year. Now, I'm sure the military wouldn't engage in such behavior unless it had good reason.

The big issue in states like Florida (where I live) and other super-high-humidity states is that the moisture content of the air can be compressed into the tire unless you're using a dried air source (compressor with a dryer or bottled nitrogen); over months, this water (having not been filtered), will form molds and mildews that will eat at the tire rubber from the inside, robbing them of VOC's and causing potential delamination. For the rider who gets in enough miles, his tires get hot enough to shut down the growth due to tire heat, but those who tend to leave the bikes parked in the heat without riding them enough can have significant problems.

The only good solutions are either very labor intensive (removal of the tire and drainage), or expensive (installation of drying compounds), unless you use a dry air source (winter air is preferred over summer air, because the air is generally dryer in the northern hemisphere). Naturally, you could just ride more.

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X