X

Squid question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squid question

Everyone around here is quick throw the "squid" label on people. My understanding of what a squid was is it's the guy in shorts/sandals/no helmet who rides crazy with no regard for anyone's safety. But it seems that more & more unless someone is in a full leather track suit, they are a squid. I'm just curious what people think. I am a new rider (3 months) and when I ride I wear over the ankle boots, jeans, helmet, gloves and USUALLY jacket. I have gone out a few times in the past week w/o the jacket. So does this make me a squid? I ride safe, obey laws, and even work on my riding skills each time I ride.
    Again, this is something that has kind of gotten under my skin & just wanted to ask the question.

My opinion: people throw the "squid" label around way too much. Get a little more info before you become so judgemental from the mountaintop.

Vince
    > Vince <

05 Katana 600
    97 Mustang GT
    95 GMC K2500 4x4

ALWAYS wear full gear, show respect for other people on the road, and obey the law and you will not be labeled a Squid. Oh, and don't act like every traffic light is a Christmas tree at a drag strip.

Comment

Originally posted by Zukiman
      ALWAYS wear full gear, show respect for other people on the road, and obey the law and you will not be labeled a Squid. Oh, and don't act like every traffic light is a Christmas tree at a drag strip.
      I do all this except OCCASIONALLY go out without a jacket. I realize I SHOULD wear it, but I also understand the risks of not wearing it & I am willing to accept the consequences. I got my license because I wanted to ride, just ride. I don't want to go 150 mph or do wheelies. I just love the feeling of riding. I am as safe and respectful to everyone else on the road as I can possibly be. So because I don't have a jacket on I get thrown in the same category as the a**hole in shorts/sandals/wife-beater who is doing wheelies past McDonalds??? Don't think that's quite fair/proper.
      > Vince <

05 Katana 600
      97 Mustang GT
      95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Hey vdaily89 I was not saying you are a Squid. I see more cruiser riders wearing minimal gear than sportbike riders around here. Please accept my apology if I offended you. I was just trying to explain how one could be labeled a Squid.

Comment

Originally posted by Zukiman
          Hey vdaily89 I was not saying you are a Squid. I see more cruiser riders wearing minimal gear than sportbike riders around here. Please accept my apology if I offended you. I was just trying to explain how one could be labeled a Squid.
          None taken. I understand what you were saying. I guess it just gets under my skin that some people throw everyone into the "squid" category unless they are in full gear everytime. I just disagree with that completely.
          Guess I gotta vent about something since I'm stuck at work on a beautiful Sunday morning
          > Vince <

05 Katana 600
          97 Mustang GT
          95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

Comment

Some folks are very narrow in their definition of squid.. To some if you don't wear full leather all the time you are a squid.. I don't think that's fair either. I also don't think that is the attitude here.
              Except maybe in jest, people on Katriders (IMO)
              are pretty liberal. No one railled on BearKat for wearing just jeans up Palomar.. He took fis lumps for wearing just jeans, but no one used the "S" word. Otherwise where does it end?
              Street equipment can fail.
              Is someone a squid because they wear Joe Rocket leathers instead of Vanson?
              Two piece instead of one?
              Are you a squid beacause you didn't wear full leather to the corner store?
              I think some folk do feel that way..
              But thankfully they are not part of KR or they keep it to themselves..

Everyone makes personal choices.
              From smoking, drinking, the speed they drive etc..
              In my opinion as long as you wear some equipment and your actions dont give motorcylists a bad reputation yer allright with me..
              I'll label a guy in full race leathers a squid if he's
              reving the nuts off his bike and swerving in and out of traffic acting like a fool..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Some folks are very narrow in their definition of squid.. To some if you don't wear full leather all the time you are a squid.. I don't think that's fair either. I also don't think that is the attitude here.
                Except maybe in jest, people on Katriders (IMO)
                are pretty liberal. No one railled on BearKat for wearing just jeans up Palomar.. He took fis lumps for wearing just jeans, but no one used the "S" word. Otherwise where does it end?
                Street equipment can fail.
                Is someone a squid because they wear Joe Rocket leathers instead of Vanson?
                Two piece instead of one?
                Are you a squid beacause you didn't wear full leather to the corner store?
                I think some folk do feel that way..
                But thankfully they are not part of KR or they keep it to themselves..

Everyone makes personal choices.
                From smoking, drinking, the speed they drive etc..
                In my opinion as long as you wear some equipment and your actions dont give motorcylists a bad reputation yer allright with me..
                I'll label a guy in full race leathers a squid if he's
                reving the nuts off his bike and swerving in and out of traffic acting like a fool..
                I don't think that this is the general attitude around here. If I made it seem that way, sorry. Everyone here is great. I just feel that a lot of people (some here and others elsewhere) throw the label around too much. And I'm willing to bet that most of them are hipacrits(i.e. they don't always wear full gear either).
                > Vince <

05 Katana 600
                97 Mustang GT
                95 GMC K2500 4x4

Comment

The gear you're wearing has nothing to do with whether or not you're a squid, IMHO. Well, unless you're out in a wife-beater, shorts, and sandals. That's just gay...

Anyway, it's how you ride that dictates whether or not you're a squid...

I like the definition of a squid that we came up with on my board...

squid (skwd)
                  n. pl. squids or squid

A motorcycle rider who demonstrates a lack of respect for the general public and the failure to realize the possible negative impact that could result from their riding actions on public or non-public roads.

The squid is just unable to rationalize or conceptualize the possible negative outcomes resulting from their actions. This is regardless of whether or not they wear protective gear.

The squid does not realize that it is not that they are not wearing gear that makes them a squid - it is the fact that they think they are exempt from social mores and can pull a 10 o`clock wheelie on public roads or weave in and out of traffic at twice the traffic speed just because they can.
                  -Steve

Comment

Unfortunetly it has become ever so more broad in it's definition.

Personally I believe you need to dress for the occassion.

A trip to the corner store should not justify full riding gear however be cautious not to fall into the trap and ride outside your protection.....or skill for that matter.

I do not belive that shorts and a muscle shirt are appropriate.............I think it looks foolish.

Call me a squid if necessary but I see choppers adorn with no more than jeans and T's and yet they somehow seem to escape the 'squid' label.

My thoughts.....no biggie

Pardon my spelling as it's early and well.......I just don't care..

Buc
                    it's my opinion......that's what makes it mine..

Toronto Canada that is

Comment

Good definition Stevnmd, I like that.
                      2000 Kat 600
                      "Fast Blue"
                      Pic in Profile

Comment

I do have to disagree Steve, for the most part the definition is right on but there is a huge difference in pulling a wheelie and riding it at 80-100 mph. Pulling a wheelie happens in a matter of a second or two but riding a wheelie through traffic is a definite squid move and doesn't show any respect for yourself, public or OUR SPORT.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I joined squid busters then propmtly never returned because of the hardline attitude there..
                          Sorry Steve, my opinion...

A rousing thread condemming anyone who didn't wear at least a full Aero-stitch suit every time they rode as squids had me beat a quick retreat..

Sorry I can't afford an AS suit, or $80 kevlar jeans..
                          I guess not just anyone can afford to ride a motorcycle.. accourding to some anyway..
                          (not indicating anyone here).
                          I'm not gonna take any $hit over the fact I don't ride a $9000 bike and I'm not taking any over not having $1000 worth of gear..

Comment

I wear a Joe Rocket Balistic Jacket and a HJC helmet and most of the time gloves. It isn't what you wear or how much money you have to spend on gear. It is being smart enough to avoid that accident. respecting all that is around you. In my area the freeway speed limit is 65 mph I usually cruise at 70. I am usually the slowest one but I choose to be. I do open it up sometimes but not during high traffic periods. I too don't care for that certain site.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

If you're out there pulling a wheelie by accident you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place.

Wearing gear is mainly something that each person knows inside they should be doing. Everybody has seen pictures of road rash, motorcycle accidents where the rider wasnt wearing a helmet, etc. Just because you know you should do it, doesnt mean you always will. Everything from peer pressure to the weather can cause someone to ride w/ out proper gear. Its a personal decision.

For me, if I see some dude out riding in shorts, sandles, a muscle shirt and helmet, i have to shake my head and laugh at him for lookin so ridiculous but at the same time, shake my head in disbelief that one would actually go out and ride knowing the risks and only wearing those clothes.

I'd much rather see a chick in a bikini riding or a guy in just shorts and sandals riding..but doing it responsibily, than seeing a tard in full race leathers using the street for a drag strip and pulling wheelies while he's splittling lanes..

Just my .02

Comment

Working...
                              X