X

starting issues, im a little lost?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting issues, im a little lost?

Ok, two weeks ago I took my bike for a 300mile ride. I checked my oil, adjusted my chain etc, etc. Everything was fine.

I got back, parked the bike and it snowed three days later, along with temperatures that were pretty low for the next 2 weeks. So I took out the battery and kept it inside. when I was ready to ride I put it on a charger for about 1/2 an hour or so.

I went outside, put the battery in and cranked her over. The first try, she ALMOST caught, but then died. I smelled gas, and after that she just cranks...and cranks...with no sign of starting. What could have happened from the time I rode it (it drove flawlessly) to now? It does this on a cycle, it will ALMOST start, then I will smell gas (assuming it flooded) and will crank with no start. I am not using the choke.

I heard a slight click, so I checked my spark plug wires and one was slightly loose. Reconnecting it didnt help anything.

I checked my spark by removing a plug and laying it on the valve cover while I cranked it....I didnt see ANY spark. sooo, I checked my ignition fuse and all the connections on my ignition. They were all fine (I replaced the 10a fuse anyway, just to be sure). (still no visible spark)

Im a little stumped. It HAS gas, 1/2 tank, it has air, but I guess it isnt getting any spark? I dont know what could have caused this, and Im worried I will need to replace my entire ignition.

I SHOULD also mention it needs a carb sync...beyond badly, but it is still flowing fuel, so I should at least be able to get it started right?

And of course...the yesterday is the first nice day we have had for a while...and today is even nicer....tommorow is supposed to hit 80.

Any ideas will be checked on the bike...thanks guys.

have you tried getting new plugs?

Comment

You can try and clean up the plugs. Check your oil for gas, that much cold cranking if you have a stuck carb part can spell trouble. If you can smell gas when you try and start it most likely you fouled the plugs.
      In checking the plugs; You can't count on " laying it on the valve cover" to give you the ground you need. I never trust anything but bare metal. I have a rig I use where I twisted up some 6 gauge wire so you actually have to thread the spark plug into it. On the other end I have a big 'ol alligator clip. I clip that to a stainless steel screw I have for a frame ground, you could use the coil mount screws I guess.

I have had good luck cleaning the plugs with a wire brush, this year I had to replace them..
      Last edited by Black_peter; 04-23-2009, 10:59 AM.

Comment

this happend to me once and it was my start switch went out (the switch on the right clip-on) if you are not getting any spark after you check everything else try that. I got lucky because that was the first thing i check because i did not want to pull the bike apart

Comment

Originally posted by BUCKJFLOWERS View Post
          this happend to me once and it was my start switch went out (the switch on the right clip-on) if you are not getting any spark after you check everything else try that. I got lucky because that was the first thing i check because i did not want to pull the bike apart
          But he says the bike cranks and cranks and won't start, so I assume that the start switch is fine if it's pushing the starter.
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

mine wold crank and then stop it was on and off and i replaced the switch and it fixed the problem i was just putting it out there

Comment

no, it will crank all day if I tried.

I cleaned the plugs and tried to start it this morning, she started for about 10 seconds with no choke (tried to use choke yesterday, wouldnt start at all), but then the idle kept dropping and she died. Then I got the slight gas smell and she wouldnt start anymore.

this is killing me.....its been RIDICULOUSLY nice...and will only get nicer this weekend...arrrgh.

Comment

I'm inclined to think a weak spark condition exists in this case ...
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I've only had my Kat for a month and am having a similar problem. Just hard starting. But if I choke it, it will absolutely not crank with the fuel smell. Before I worry about it any farther here is my checklist just for my peace of mind.

Change spark plugs.
                  Change fuel filter.
                  Change air filter.
                  Other basic maintenance.

Previous owner only had it for a couple of months and had no idea on maintenance. So I treat everything as needing to be done.

Don't get me wrong. It cranks every time. I just want it to crank easier.

Comment

ok, its warm, beautiful and I have $6 to my name (enough for a full tank )

Heres hoping she decides to start.

Comment

same as before. First crank, near start, runs for a second, then dies out. No start after that. with finals coming up and then the summer semester, im just considering taking it somewhere. I need it to run..my jeep doesnt really "do" the highway...very well.

Comment

So no time AND no money ? Poor combo . Wish I could swing by and help .

Comment

did you think to check the fuel switch cause it could be on primer

Comment

yeah, that was one of the first things I thought it could be. Its definitely on ON.

Comment

Not gonna be an issue unless the floats are FUBAR , or fuel ain't flowin on "on" . Starting on prime should NOT be an issue . And actually , is USUALLY more helpful than bad .

Comment

Working...
                              X