X

asking for trouble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asking for trouble

i met a guy the other day who rides a 1985 Kat 750 bored out to 803cc plus he has NOS on it as well. Which is cool but he is using the original rings and has 60,000 km on the bike. Does anyone else think that he is asking for trouble?

a 1985 Kat 750, eh? I coulda sworn they started making them in 1989. Must be a rare breed. And, if I'm not mistaken, it would be impossible to use the original rings if the cylinders have been bored out. Say, if it was bored .030 over, then there would be a .030 gap between the rings and the cylinder wall. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, this just doesn't sound quite right.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484
      a 1985 Kat 750, eh? I coulda sworn they started making them in 1989. Must be a rare breed. And, if I'm not mistaken, it would be impossible to use the original rings if the cylinders have been bored out. Say, if it was bored .030 over, then there would be a .030 gap between the rings and the cylinder wall. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, this just doesn't sound quite right.

actually, you are wrong about one thing. theoretically, there would only be a .015 gap. it would be devided in half. this is assuming the ring kept the same position as it would with stock bore. however, the rings are "sprung", so it would still expand out to the cylinder walls, but the gap would be too much.
      but i see your point....if it was bored out, the rings should have been newly fitted.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Yes, there was a GS750 Katana of the old-school type that long ago. Yes, he could have had it bored out (or resleeved more likely). Inevitably, whoever did the engine work installed new rings, otherwise his compression would have gone to hell-in-a-handbasket and he would be burning through oil like it was going out of style; the firm best known for such kits includes the rings in the bore-over kit (www.wiseco.com).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Though agreed to what Cyber said, I must add that a loose tolerance ring under the power of NOS can roll over it self and cause issues of implossion that I nor anyone wants. even though a turbo system is a bit more expensive, I would rather go that route if I truely wanted that kind of power. NOS is a stick of Dynomite waiting for someone to light the wick.
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

this is just my opinion, and not to offend anyone who has gone through all the trouble to install NOS or a turbo, but the only question that runs through my mind is "why"? unless you plan on racing it at a track, there are a ton of stock bikes that have more than enough power for the street. from my experience.....from knowing some of the people I know and the mods they have done to their vehicles, most of them are simple cases of more money than brains. where would you use NOS besides the highway, where anyone with you would be too far behind to be impressed....or else you would have to be a street racer, which in my opinion has to be the dumbest kind of squid there is. They are a big reason behind the bad rep for sportbike riders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              this is just my opinion, and not to offend anyone who has gone through all the trouble to install NOS or a turbo, but the only question that runs through my mind is "why"? unless you plan on racing it at a track, there are a ton of stock bikes that have more than enough power for the street. from my experience.....from knowing some of the people I know and the mods they have done to their vehicles, most of them are simple cases of more money than brains. where would you use NOS besides the highway, where anyone with you would be too far behind to be impressed....or else you would have to be a street racer, which in my opinion has to be the dumbest kind of squid there is. They are a big reason behind the bad rep for sportbike riders.
              Insurance is one, a good 130+ hp bike from the factory usually has the R in its letter dessignation. I personally paid 750 dollars for my bike and if I could get 130 out of the Kat and still have less money into it for insurance and the bike all together.
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
                Originally posted by Mojoe
                Insurance is one, a good 130+ hp bike from the factory usually has the R in its letter dessignation. I personally paid 750 dollars for my bike and if I could get 130 out of the Kat and still have less money into it for insurance and the bike all together.
                so what you are saying is that it is cheaper to rebuild an engine and add nos or a turbo than it is to pay the insurance rates on a bike that has a R in it's name? My bike has an F...not an R....and it is 136hp stock.
                I can't say too much against the modding, because I myself aquired a vance and hines race engine that has more hp than a stock busa, but I only bought it cuz it was pretty damn cheap. It was less to buy that engine than it would cost to have mine rebuilt in a shop.
                I am not condemning it. I just find it a bit hard to understand why a bike like a busa would need a turbo or nos. I am sure whoever doers it has their reasons....but shit...where would one use all the power except for the track?

Comment

But Mojoe you have the big brother Kat LOL

Yes, you got one hell of a deal on that engine and it sicken's me that I didn't get it first LOL

Your insurance for a Busa or R1 is much higher than say a Katana. I would pay 1000 dollars more a year for a GSXR 1000 than I do my Katana.

or street racing, IMHO turbo has too much lag time for carving the turns in Palomar, CA. NOS is only good for quick shots in a straight line. I would much rather buy a Busa or R1 over a turbo or NOS also but there are those that do love that kind of power. Kind of like having a Ferrari or Lamborghini in the USA. The owner will never use the power on the road like they would on the track. LOL
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  Who knows what is next?

Comment

Most of the turbo Busa's I see also have extended swingarms and airshifters, and are lowered to the ground. Strictly for going fast in a straight line. I, personally, would love to ride a turbo busa, just because having, say 300hp in a bike with stock wheelbase and all would be just absolutely rediculous. I wouldn't want to pay the tab for it, but I'd love it.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

been there done that nos on a bike it a wicked ride i put it on my old school gs700e for drag racing only i was only using 75hp shot and it was eough to pull the front end sky ward in 4th gear at about 120mph i finally ended up looping it one nite at the track man what a ride and ive ridden a buddys turbo busa with stock swing arm making 296 hp and 176 ft lbs of torque and at 100 mph in 6th gear a simple roll on the throttle will stand it up like 3ft of the ground without any any signs of effort.

Comment

I want to mount a roots-type blower to a bike..... how friggin awesome would that be?

Comment

Working...
                        X