X

Katana Towing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana Towing

I was reading up on some tips for trailering the katana for my move to Ohio tomorrow and came across a picture of a katana being towed by what looks like a Toyota Corolla...I couldn't help but chuckle a little bit.

Flatbed motorcycle towing is one way to tow your motorcycle. Learn more about flatbed motorcycle towing at HowStuffWorks.

The question I was trying to get answered, but couldn't find a definitive answer was, how much do I compress the shocks?

I believe MD mentioned a long time ago that it was 1/3 the travel. Is that right?
    1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Im not sure what the proper amount is, when i bought my bike in tn, we compressed them as much as possible. I was scared to death because id never carried a bike in the back of my truck, and around mountains to boot! It held just fine, had one strap around each handle, one around the rear tire to the trailer hitch and one across the seat. It didnt move lol, Good luck with your move

Comment

"as little as possible" is the real answer. If you are going to trailer the bike, throw down the $250 extra smackers for a baxley sport chock. It will hold the front of the bike tight, and you'll only need the straps for extra stability.

I remember that taz popped both fork seals on MD's bike two years ago on the way to the rally....
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

What is so special about the Baxley Sport Chock? I have the harbor freight chock which was like $29.99 and it worked just fine on the way down to Texas from Ohio. I cannot see why in the world I'd ever pay $250 for a chock.

Comment

i didnt even have a chock!

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie View Post
            What is so special about the Baxley Sport Chock? I have the harbor freight chock which was like $29.99 and it worked just fine on the way down to Texas from Ohio. I cannot see why in the world I'd ever pay $250 for a chock.

The baxley chock will hold the bike upright, with no "wiggle" and can be locked.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I have used both the bed of a truck and a flat bed trailor. What I have done in the past is tie it down as far as I could go and then back the straps off about half and inch so as not the pop the fork seals. The web site that you posted is kinda what I did except that I bolted doen a 4x4 peice of wood accross the trailor and pressed the front tire to it before strapping it down.

Depending on the roads that you are traveling I would reccomend checking the straps and bike every so often just incase.

always strap down the bike straight in the truck never at a 45 degree and never tie the bike down while the kick stand is down. If the strapps are resting against the paint then I use big fluffy towels.

Comment

Who needs a truck or a trailer... Give this a try
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                  The baxley chock will hold the bike upright, with no "wiggle" and can be locked.
                  hmmm...well the cheapo HF one held it upright all on its own while I went around and tied the bike down. Sure it doesn't lock, but for $220 cheaper, I don't care! Maybe if I had money to burn, I'd get one just for giggles.

Comment

Originally posted by crazyaussie View Post
                    hmmm...well the cheapo HF one held it upright all on its own while I went around and tied the bike down. Sure it doesn't lock, but for $220 cheaper, I don't care! Maybe if I had money to burn, I'd get one just for giggles.
                    you're call. I've used both... and I'd trust the baxley chock WAY more than the one from HF.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

im thinking youre set up is better then what i had aussie and i didnt lose my bike so I think your good to go! Just check your straps after a hundred miles or so. It started to rain and i got really worried but the straps didnt slip and everything was fine.

Comment

That is funny

Comment

Originally posted by Fyre View Post

the guy that bought my yamaha picked it up with a dodge shadow
                          We took off all plastics , fuel tank ,seat and rear tire
                          we got most of it in his trunk/hatch back
                          He had about 4 or 5 hrs of driving on HWY 401, it is the bussiest highway in north america
                          He payed me in cash so he could drag it with a chain for all I cared
                          The funny part is he didnt bring any of his tools , and had to borrow mine
                          NOT sure how he originally planned on getting it home
                          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by Fyre View Post
                            Lol nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Stinger02 View Post
                              im thinking youre set up is better then what i had aussie and i didnt lose my bike so I think your good to go! Just check your straps after a hundred miles or so. It started to rain and i got really worried but the straps didnt slip and everything was fine.
                              I will try and snap a photo when I get it loaded up...either tonight or tomorrow. I will use the same set-up I did a few months ago when I moved back home to Texas. I didn't have an issue then, but I think I compressed the shocks too much. My seals were leaking before the trip, but they got worse when I got home.

I mainly just wanted to check on the how much to compress the springs, so I think I'll try what steve suggested and compress as little as possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X