X

Made in Japan?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made in Japan?

Probably a silly question but on my last ride my buddy (who rides a harley) said that Jap bikes were not made in Japan anymore. Is this true? I know Suzuki has a factory in the US but could not find out if the street bikes are made here or still shipped from Japan.

Thanks!

I know the assembly of Honda's are in the US, but have no idea where the parts are made.

Comment

The country of Origin is listed on the VIN plate. I think all Suzuki's are still made in Japan (along with the parts).
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
        The country of Origin is listed on the VIN plate. I think all Suzuki's are still made in Japan (along with the parts).
        That's what I thought as well. Any VIN that starts with a "J" in made in Japan.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
          That's what I thought as well. Any VIN that starts with a "J" in made in Japan.
          Exactly, if your serial number starts with "J" it was assembled in Japan.
          Parts may be coming from somewhere else though.
          It's the same for cars.

Comment

Different companies, different models, different production facilities. Most of what is offered in the US is from the home-country of the manufacturer.

Honda builds bikes in Japan, China, Malaysia, and India. All their motorcycle models sold here are from Japan. While they previously built the GoldWings and Ruins here in the USA (Ohio?), from what I understand, they stopped building those bikes in the USA late last year and took that production back to Japan for quality-control/cost-control reasons (with the same US facilities still cranking out ATV's). Their scooter models offered in the USA may not all be Japanese-built (I have no clue).

BMW builds bikes in Germany, Czech republic, has closed it's Italian MC production (a few years back) and has just recently opened a new Chinese production facility. The only US-available models not built/completed in Germany at this time is the BMW F650/G650GS [single-cylinder] models from what I understand. They swear on a stack of bibles their own [German staff] people oversee engineering standards & quality control at the Chinese factory...

Suzuki builds bikes in Japan, China, Malaysia or Indonesia, and was talking about an Indian and a Brazilian plant as well. Their US motorcycle offerings are all made in Japan; not sure about their scooter offerings.

No clue on Yamaha at this point, other than the majority or all of their US motorcycle models come out of Japan.

Harley is caught in a quandry, because while they claim to bleed red-white-and-blue, progressively more and more of their sub-components are being sourced from global suppliers outside the USA for cost-control reasons (everything from calipers to switch-gear come to mind). Many smaller US fab-and-supply firms that used to feed Harley subassemblies built here in America have been dropped, effectively shuttering those firms and closing down an entire sector of the American motorcycle sub-economy.

Buell is being supplied by Rotax (Austria) for their best engine right now... 'nuf said there.

Still Pure:
            KTM is still 100% Austrian.
            Ducati is still 100% Italian.
            Ditto MotoGuzzi.

No clue on what's going to happen with the now HD-owned MV Augusta, although I do know that a lot of their subcomponents are now being farmed to the same Asian-rim vendors that supply HD.

--------
            Explanation on Japanese putting factories in India/China/Malaysia/Indonesia
            The Japanese bike companies are all setting up production in certain very-high-population 3rd world nations where their Japanese-production models simply couldn't compete cost-effectively because of the labor-cost aspect of the equation.
            India and China are the two biggest markets for sub-200cc bikes on the planet (followed fairly closely by Malaysia/Indonesia/etc.), and to be locked out of those markets because of Japanese production costs tacking on too much to the bottom line doesn't make sense to them, so they send production for those markets into those markets (multiple benefit: cheaper labor plus low or no import taxes, and parts for those nations are primarily produced locally, keeping repair/maint costs down).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
            CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
            The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mine was made in Japan

Comment

well considering harley engines are german, their carbs are japanese, etc. and I assume he thinks its pure USA. I would consider him to be a horrid source of information about other kinds of bikes.

Comment

All the bikes we receive from Suzuki are assembled in Japan from mostly japanese components. Some ATVs (Eiger, Vinson, KingQuad and maybe others) are assembled in Rome, Georgia.

The Japanese products are still top notch although some asian manufacturers (Korean and Taiwanese) are coming quite close at a (slightly) lower price point. Mainland chinese products are still subpar, although very inexpensive (A mainland chinese scooter for example is 35% cheaper than a Yamaha, and a whopping 55% cheaper than the "equivalent" Peugeot, but it's not quite the same machine (inside and out)).

Comment

Originally posted by Eyball View Post
                    Probably a silly question but on my last ride my buddy (who rides a harley) said that Jap bikes were not made in Japan anymore.
                    So his point would be ..... HIS bike was assemble in the US by parts made in Japan .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Japan or not

Hi guys and gals,
                      My 05 Suzuki S50 was made in Japan, my 06 Katana 750 was also made in Japan. But when I was in the dealership just to look araound, I'd noticed that the 06 and 07 GS500F were made in Spain. What do you guys think about that? I guess, again, for cost control. BTW, I'm NOT a fan of cruisers, Japanese or not, and I don't have the S50 any more.
                      Cheers.

Comment

Yup, my Kawasaki was in fact built in Japan.

My poor baby probably froze her *** off in a shipping crate.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by utah-kat View Post
                          ...I'd noticed that the 06 and 07 GS500F were made in Spain.
                          I didn't know they had a spanish plant, but more details are here:
                          Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

That was a good question and frankly I hadnt given it any thought. My Bike 2003 kat 750 has the J on the title. My KTm was definitely made in Austria.

Its a fairly sad state of affairs that the USA doesnt produce a quality motorcycle american built anymore. (Maybe they do?)

It seems we are in the same boat for cars, I own 2 hondas an accord and a hybrid civic. The accord has 194k and runs perfectly, only ever needed standard maintenance and never left me stranded. Every american car I have owned has given me some sort of trouble. The civic regulary gives me 45 mpg and has very low emissions.

I tried to like the buells but I just dont like the styling much. Maybe I am a bad American! If the buells are made in austria I might as well keep buying KTM!

Comment

Working...
                            X