X

what's the difference ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the difference ?

This site could do for a neewbie room. lol. Whatz the difference between the gsf 600, gsx 600R, gsx 600F, and so-on. and are the parts, (like the muffler) exchangeable ?
    Last edited by Bigza; 04-11-2009, 01:39 PM.

different body styles,

gsf= bandit

gsxf= katana

gsxr=gsxr

bandit and kat engines are the same basically, the gsxr600 is water cooled so doubt anything would work.

Probably the largest Suzuki motorcycle fan site in the world. Online since 2001. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki motorbikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers. ALL Suzuki motorcycle models around the world have their place here!
    Last edited by mreedohio; 04-11-2009, 02:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Chrome Project Part 1
    http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Originally posted by Bigza View Post
      and are the parts, (like the muffler) exchangeable ?
      with a welder they are.
      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by mreedohio View Post
        Great resource to differentiate them...

Meanwhile:
        for Model years 1994 - 2006:

GSF - semi-naked air-oil cooled low-compression hooligan bike with high reliability. Cams/fueling/exhaust tuned for very low-RPM torque curve. Heavy steel frame, suspension tuned for real-world roads.

GSXF - fully clad air-oil cooled low-compression commuter/sport-touring bike with high reliability. Cams/fueling/exhaust tuned for more mid-range torque than the GSF, less high-end torque than the GSXR. Heavy steel frame, suspension tuned for real-world roads.

GSXR - minimal race fairing, water-cooled, high-compression race-replica bike tuned for peak RPM power, top speed & track-biased handling.

GSX (no suffix) - Naked, classic-looking version of the GSF/GSXF concept; never sold in the USA.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I need more information, I'm a new rider

How do I know what I have?
          I just know mine is a teal green, full fairing, 96 Katana 600... I dont know much more. The tag on the front says engine family TSK. Pargara
          Whats the difference between a GSF, GSX, Bandit and Katana?
          This is my first bike and its a 96 Katana with full fairings and air cooled but it needs a clutch, cable, shift lever, and the side plate/guard around the small gear on the motor.
          I have found a 94 RF 600R for a parts but I dont know if everything will interchange?
          I read on the web that the RF is water cooled? but will the clutch and the rest still work?
          The RF also has a aftermarket exhaust that I may want to use as well as jetted carbs (at least thats what I was told)
          So, should I buy the RF for parts to fix my 96 Katana?
          Thanks
          My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

No, you should not buy the RF as a parts bike for the GSX600F.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

::flail::

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
              -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

.......::blink blink::
                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                Semper Fi

Comment

Actually, what was the deal with the RF models? I never understood there niche in the market. I mean Suzuki had the GSXF for sport touring and the GSXR for track, where did the RF fit? I thought briefly back in the day that the RF took over the Katana series...wrong.
                  FROM WORK:
                  "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

PS - the reason you shouldn't use it as a parts bike for the Katana (GSXF) is that the engine is water-cooled, and too many parts are not interchangeable.

Originally posted by redciv1 View Post
                    Actually, what was the deal with the RF models? I never understood there niche in the market. I mean Suzuki had the GSXF for sport touring and the GSXR for track, where did the RF fit? I thought briefly back in the day that the RF took over the Katana series...wrong.
                    Intro'd as a '93 model, the RF600 was a water-cooled middle-weight, forward-canted engine (55 degrees -- rather extreme & well before it's time), and a fairly low-compression engine for a long lifespan. The forward-canted engine helped put the weight of the bike extremely low down compared to a Kat/Bandit/GSXR. It put out a bit more HP than the Kat 600 of the same time-frame, and carried a manta-ray inspired fairing design with fully-clad fairings. A good bike in general, it was really more of a sport-tourer than a true race bike, with it's steel (not aluminum) frame giving it better real-world road manners (heavier sprung weight makes for a better sprung-to-unsprung ratio; that in turn makes bad-road-surface tracking better), and full fairings (FIM regulations require bikes to be NOT fully-faired, which is why you see engine/tranny side-exposure to such a big degree in race-reps; has nothing to do with aerodynamics or cooling efficiencies).

In '94, they also brought out a 937cc variation (RF900) which under-priced the competition in the over-750cc/under-1-liter category (and in some senses, targeted directly at the thin-wallet VFR-buyer), and was designed to bridge the gap between the GSXR750 and the by-then-aging Suzuki 1100 platform. Same basic frame as the RF600, beefed up, bigger motor, more power... Same manta-ray based design ethos. Small carbs (36mm) made for a lot of mid-range torque punch without significantly sacrificing top-end speed. Much better handling than it had any right to have, due to the

In the end, it was a case of form over function, with the public's buying habits reflecting the fact that the fully-clad manta-ray design didn't appeal to most "new" bike buyers (lots of people thought they were ugly, just as they think the Katana is ugly -- full fairings don't appeal to the sports-buyers in general). Both models were discontinued by 1997, although old-new-stock continued to be sold through '99 as "new" in some countries (in the same sense that there was a 2007 Kat 600 in Brazil that was the basically the same as the '05 US model, and many in the industry believe it was actually left-over stock that couldn't be sold into the US market).

With low unit-sales and the death of the RF platform from the line-up, parts availability started becoming problematic in fairly short order (by '02, getting certain parts was an exercise in futility), especially the louvered fairing pieces which are so easily damaged/shattered in even a parking lot slip-n-fall. It's a great bike, but a real PIA to get parts for if you need something -- enough so that I would dis-recommend the bike as a purchase to typical riders (i.e. to anyone who doesn't want to score more than one and/or start warehousing their own spare parts just-in-case).

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the info...however, I talked to some people today and they said the the trans and clutch are the same and should bolt up but the motor is different. Oh well?
                      My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Working...
                      X