X

dmv fees -be real

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dmv fees -be real

o.k. the new bike has not ben tagged in 13 years . ca. dmv told me it was $442 dollars back fees , and no way around it .. i said no way, two weeks ago .. well just got back from a round trip of 530 miles one day ride from AZ. bullheadcity .. now the fees were $26 for one year or $36 for two years . went two years now the insurance was $75 for one year ...and gas was $24 up and $26 back in the toyata pickup total was $161 for one year insurance and 2 years of tags ...ca. is a ripp-off
    Attached Files

yea, glad i dont live in the peoples republic of calingrad
    "The country i am hearing now a days is a bunch of F***ing S*** to me" Hank Williams lll

Comment

i had a similar issue i had a car that i didnt register for a year because i took it off the road to change the engine and MVS said i had to pay for the back year and the current year to reregister the vehicle
      92 GSXF750
      83 nighthawk

Comment

California SUCKS for DMV fees. Vehicles that have not been registered for 10 years there usually drop out of the system I thought. I never liked dealing with them while I lived there. They made me pay a first time use fee on my '69 Lemans when I first got there! I mean that's just blatant greed. What's next? A leaving Cali fee when you move???
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

im in az not cali but when i transferred my title they made me pay a fee because it was notarized a year and a half before i picked up the bike, freakin 75 bucks just to transfer a title

Comment

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
            California SUCKS for DMV fees. Vehicles that have not been registered for 10 years there usually drop out of the system I thought.
            It's actually dropped out of their computer system after not being registered for 3 years. When we moved from So Cal to Oregon, I somehow lost the title to my '65 Mustang. First winter here my engine froze up, because I didn't have enough antifreeze in it for how cold it gets here. Since the car wasn't runing I wasn't in a big hurry to pay to transfer the title up here. I tried to get a duplicate, but the person working at the nearest cali DMV argued with me saying the VIn number shown on my CA regustration paperwork wasn't a valid vin, claiming it was missing a number or letter (not a 17 letter VIN because it was per 1967), so I gave up temporarily figuring I'd just take care of it once I got the car running again.

3 years later I decided I wanted to get it back on the road, but the only way for me to get a title now is I have to send a blank check not to exceed $100 to the DMV in Sacramento, and wait about a month for them to copy all the info they have on the car off of micro-fiche. Once I get that paperwork, I have to send everything I recieve, along with any old registration papers I have in the glove box, and a VIN verification signed by the State Police or County Sherrif, off to Salem, along with another check for $65-$80, and then the OR DMV will "decide" if I own the car or not. If they determine it is indeed my car (they better since I've owned it since 1991), then I can pay the $90 for a new title, and 2 years registration. What I will most likely do instead is pay for a new CA title, using my brother's address in So Cal, then take the new title to OR DMV for the swap over, so I don't have to wait on the edge of my seat wondering if they're going to say it's my car or if the DMV idiot has a kid finishing high school that needs a cool car as a greaduation present lol.
            John,
            '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
            sigpic

Comment

Just paid $518 twice for 2 plates we will use for 8 months.

They don't charge us "back fees" for the years a vehicule is not registered though, that is QUITE strange.

Comment

Originally posted by H-2 CHARLIE View Post
                o.k. the new bike has not ben tagged in 13 years . ca. dmv told me it was $442 dollars back fees , and no way around it .. i said no way, two weeks ago .. well just got back from a round trip of 530 miles one day ride from AZ. bullheadcity .. now the fees were $26 for one year or $36 for two years . went two years now the insurance was $75 for one year ...and gas was $24 up and $26 back in the toyata pickup total was $161 for one year insurance and 2 years of tags ...ca. is a ripp-off
                If I understand you correctly you went to Arizona to renew the registration, i.e. license plate, on the bike register in Arizona. However, you live in California.

Any out of state bike brought into California, from a person who has residency, has a several day grace period to register at the DMV. The fees will include registration (transfer of ownership) and usually sales tax, if you bought the bike.

If you are stoped and a LEO sees your name own the registration of an out of state bike yet your license is in state, you will receive a citation and you will need to do what you started out to do all over again.

However, you will be out of the insurance and registration money you already paid in Arizona, plus you'll need to pay the ticket.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                  If I understand you correctly you went to Arizona to renew the registration, i.e. license plate, on the bike register in Arizona. However, you live in California.

Any out of state bike brought into California, from a person who has residency, has a several day grace period to register at the DMV. The fees will include registration (transfer of ownership) and usually sales tax, if you bought the bike.

If you are stoped and a LEO sees your name own the registration of an out of state bike yet your license is in state, you will receive a citation and you will need to do what you started out to do all over again.

However, you will be out of the insurance and registration money you already paid in Arizona, plus you'll need to pay the ticket.

A former room mate lived in Nevada before moving to NC. Both Liscense and car registration for her nevada info was mailed, and then forwarded by a friend to her NC address. She alway renewed it by mail, because 1 of her cars (Classic MG) was crazy in costs to swich over and insure in NC. If she got pulled over, she showed them her Nevada liscense and stated she just moved...
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My dad is licensed and registered in OR since his permanent home is right across the street from my house, but he's living in a 34' 5th wheel in a trailer park in So Cal while working in LA until he can retire in a couple more years. Fully legal since he pays all his state income taxes to OR instead of CA.
                    John,
                    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy View Post

I agree, but wouldn't the ownership transfer and sales tax plus the $161 he paid in Arizona be cheaper than the $442 plus Cali insurance?
                      sigpic

Comment

hey kreylyn ... i own a vacant house i use twice a year in AZ. so i can leave the bike there or ride it where i want . and if its in ca. to be worked on so be it . i have a resaident i.d. there

Comment

hey kreylyn ... i own a vacant house i use twice a year in AZ. so i can leave the bike there or ride it where i want . and if its in ca. to be worked on so be it . i have a resaident i.d. there

I guess you meant that for squiggy?...

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That seems to work. Dual residency has it's benefits.
                            BF is going to school in Alabama and he's got a year until he can declare residency. Tuition goes down and all the car registration stuff, too.
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah, they burned me once when I lived there several years ago. I went to get my plates for my suv switched over and she was like $600!! I was like WTF!! I was HOT, but ended up paying it and ended up re-locating back to Ohio with my job a year later
                              [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Working...
                              X