Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

how much did you spend on your first bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i spent 1300 on my 90 kat 600 when I was 18 (1999). The guy I bought it from lived 30 miles away from me and I had zero experience with motorcycles; my friend had to take it out on a test ride and then ride it home. I have since spent probably close to a grand since then but it has been (and hopefully will be) worth every penny.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

600 for bike

and the price keeps going up with parts lol

Comment

$6800 for my 93 Kat 750 off the showroom floor.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

also one bad thing about a older bike is the parts are only harder to find

Comment

I bought a rifle off a buddy for $1600. Several years later (last June) I traded that rifle to a collector for my Katana.

so... $1600

See My Garage for mods...
            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

I paid $2000 OTD for my 1993 Katana 600 in May 2007.
              -$170 of gear
              -$245/yr insurance
              -Another $400 or so in parts and upgrades

So $2800 or so for my first bike.

Sold it for $1500 in March 2008.
              -Sold my car the next week for $3000
              -Bought my 2003 636 with 7k miles on it for $4200
              -Insurance $211/yr
              -New tires, brakes, plugs, oil, oil filter, air filter ~ $500
              -a pair of riding jeans for $140

So I have just over $5000 in my Ninja right now.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Paid $1600 for a 1998 600 last fall/winter. Probably have an additional 5-600 in it between tires, brakes, and a few other minor fixes. I was trying to stay around $2000-2500, so I'm pretty happy with what I've spent for what I got.

Comment

I bought my wife a '95 kat several years ago for $800. It needed some TLC, but no real fixing, just lube and general maintanence. Painted it, put tires and brakes on it, and it's served her well for several years now.

I figure any good bike will run about $1500 if you shop. You can buy a junker and fix it, or buy one ready to go, either way, I usually end up around the $1500 mark.

Comment

i got my 2000 kat in nov. for $1500 with 17000 miles on it and it needed nothing. i think the kat makes a great first bike but i'm 6'2" 220lbs and someone smaller might feel a little intimidated doing slow stuff.

Comment

My first bike was a Buell Blast. I believe that is one of the best bikes to start on. I bought and sold mine for the same price after a year and 1500 miles, then bought my Kat.
                      sigpic
                      2006 Suzuki GSX750F Katana

Comment

im about 260 at 6'0" so would it fit me well?

i always liked the way buell looked, but seemed out of price range.

Comment

I'm 38 and I bought my first bike less than a year ago, 2001 Kat 600. I paid $2400 and found it on Craigslist. I had no prior riding experience. I didn't want to spend too much just because I didn't know if I would love it or hate riding. Fortunately I fell in love with riding and have stayed with the same bike.....it's just enough power for me! However a Busa would be great if I could find a great deal
                          [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

From looking on Craigslist, you can take advantage of the present economic situation and get you a pretty good bike for around 2 grand. Being a brand new rider, you really want to be careful about buying stuff held together with spit and duct tape. Bikes that require to much work should be avoided as well.

Also just curious to see how old were you when you first bought your bike?
                            I bought my first 3.5 hp mini bike with a Tecumseh engine for 75 bucks. I was 8 years old and managed to save a portion my allowance until it added up to what I needed. My first street bike was an early 70's Honda CL100. My dad's cousin had kept it in his basement for a couple years with out starting it. I cleaned out his garage and cut his grass (he had a really big yard, I would've charged him about 50.00 for the grass and probably another 50.00 for the garage) and negotiated it from him along with a few dollars.

First real bike (as defined by the ability to keep up in traffic on the Interstate) was a 1976 Yamaha XS650 purchased in 1982 for 750.00
                            The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

I bought my first one when I was about 12yrs old. Paid $25.00 for an old Suzuki dirt bike from my uncle. My wife is wanting to learn how to ride. I'm going to look for her a used Ninja 250 that is cheap but safe. First bike shouldn't be something that will make you cry when you drop it IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by shinna202 View Post
                                im about 260 at 6'0" so would it fit me well?

i always liked the way buell looked, but seemed out of price range.
                                You would not be happy with a bike that small. I'm thinking somethihnng along the lines of a 600 Bandit, 600 Yamaha Seca 2, or a 90's ZX6-D/C. IMHO, if you can find a CBR-F2 that hasn't had the crap kicked out of it that would be a good starter bike. With that, just make sure there aren't any "mod projects" gone awry on anytjhing that you buy.
                                The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Working...
                                X