X

New Pirelli Tires...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pirelli Tires...

I suspect these are the same as the Metzeler Z6 "Interacts" based on the descriptions...

Pirelli has announced that they have a new dual-compound tire designed to straddle the lines of the Diablo Stradas, called the Pirelli Angels. The tires have a tougher center and a softer edge compound than the Diablo Stradas/Z6's. These tires will be available in the OEM sizes for the 98+ Kat, which will fit the pre-98 Kats (as well as sizes for virtually every other bike on the market, up to and including the ZX-14).

More info from Pirelli:

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

The tread on those are really cool looking...wonder what they will go for and if the Strada's are going to be discounted to get rid of them??
    Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Wow, they look really nice.
      Did Metzeler finally confirmed that they'll have the 150/70 ZR 17 for the Interact or will the only choice be the Pirelli Angels?

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
        Did Metzeler finally confirmed that they'll have the 150/70 ZR 17 for the Interact or will the only choice be the Pirelli Angels?
        As of now, Metzeler is saying that they are not discontinuing the Z6's (standards) yet, and the Interacts are NOT available in the 150/70ZR17 (although they are available in a 160/60ZR17).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sweet looking tire. Curious to see how long they'll hold up.
          [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Looks like we have the Kat's Z6 alternate... Good.
            2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
            Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
            "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
            Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
            Veteran of the United States Air Force.
            "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

I guess I'll give them a shot next time I need tires . Kinda curious to check 'em out , so I better get some miles under my current tires so I can justify new ones ....
              Damn , didn't see the no 159/70 part . Guess I'll need a new rear wheel then , too ....
              Last edited by md86; 04-09-2009, 02:33 AM.
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

look cool, wonder if anyone here will buy any and post personal stats

Comment

That is a really cool looking tread.. may have to give em a try when my Metzlers wear out.
                  Think safe, ride safe.

Comment

Anyone have any release date info?
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I'm calling them right now -- [Name intentionally withheld now because he willingly divulged more than he ought to] wasn't in his office, so I left him voice mail. I'll post up when I know more.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-09-2009, 01:37 PM.
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I wish i needed those, kat tires seem to last a quite a while, especially if your a conservative rider like myself.
                        There is something about being on a bike that is singularly American. It says, "I have some priorities here that aren't about life expectancy."

-Alton Brown

Comment

Alright, here's the low-down from my inside dude at Pirelli/Metzeler (note, some of this was "off the record", so it really shouldn't be here -- and that's why I've edited out his name & details about him from this & previous posts):

(A) The Angels are based on the Z6 Interacts in the same sense that the diablo stradas are based on the Z6's. Same concept, pretty much identical compounds, big differences are pretty much marketing and that cool "imprint" that the angels leave if you ride over dirt/wet-paint/etc.

(B) The expected retail shipping time-frame in the USA for the Angels is Q4/09, with the US press-event expected to happen in September (hard date not set yet). The retail-ship date is based on when PartsUnlimited is ready to accept them into their inventory system and not on when Pirelli (via Metzeler's factories) can pump out enough of them -- and that means European riders will probably be able score them somewhere during the summer this year

(C) Meanwhile, he absolutely gushed about the Z6 Interacts, saying they were the absolute shizzit in current motorcycle tire market (he was speaking from personal experience here -- he's not a mouthpiece for Metzeler), with the belting that goes around the carcass not only having each metal cord spaced individually, but each cord's tension set individually (like a guitar's). This, combined with sub-millimeter compounds being placed into the presses results in the Interacts capable of being rock-hard at the center (K5) and track-tire soft at the edge (0) without any perceived stepped change (total linear transitions that you'll never notice). He was absolutely giddy about them on his own bike and on the test platforms he's ridden...
                          He also said that Metzeler's current plan is to expand production of the Interacts into all the sizes of the standard Z6's, and as they expand their Interact size offerings, to eliminate the Z6's size-by-size until the Z6 (standards) are gone from the market. At this point, I specifically asked him about the Kat size (150/70ZR17) in terms of the Interacts and was assured that, yes, it's strictly a matter of time until the Z6 Interacts ship in that size.

So there you go, all your tire-info on a single plate, ladies and gentlemen...

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Last edited by The CyberPoet; 04-09-2009, 01:56 PM. Reason: Clarity & removal of personal details
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

[quote=The CyberPoet;1690644(B) The expected retail shipping time-frame in the USA for the Angels is Q4/09[/quote]
                            Hmmm, lets see, that should be about three tire changes away. That is just a mean tease. The whole reason I would rank these higher on my list than the Interacts, is the tread design goes much closer to the center of the tire, giving me a better idea of tire wear remaining. My last set of Z6's left me 150 miles from home with cord showing. (They made it home but...)
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet
                            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by jedney View Post
                              That is a really cool looking tread.. may have to give em a try when my Metzlers wear out.
                              But then I was curious about the z6 "interacts" too.
                              Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Working...
                              X