X

Fun with Altoids.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Altoids.

So yesterday I rode home from Scout's house around 6. It was snowing a little for a good part of the way, maybe 30 miles of the trip. Still, everything was fine and dandy...until I got to Altoona. They've been doing serious "ro-wad" work on I-99 (our main interstate artery) here for the last three years. I'm not sure what they're doing, but it requires that one lane be closed for dozens of miles and must be performed by hundreds of grumpy old men in dirty clothes and at least one woman who I immediately mistook for a walrus holding a stop sign on a stick. I was pretty impressed until I learned that she was, in reality, a cleverly disguised human.

Dotting the "highway" are several make-shift exit and entrance ramps composed of construction barrels and mammoth sized stop signs. So I'm putting along the bumpy, coarsely grated one lane road at about 40 or so when I see a busted, rusty Dodge Ram pull up to the super-sized stop sign to enter the highway about a mile ahead. And he's packing something huge and white in the bed. I slow down...he waits...I slow down a little more because I'm pretty sure I know what's coming...he waits. I get about, oh...500 feet from him and he steps on the gas and pulls out. At this point I notice that the huge mass in the back of the truck is a new queen sized mattress and box spring. I slow down, ten car lengths. He slows down. I slow down, twenty car lengths. He slows down. We were going about 35 when the highway opened back up to two lanes. He accelerates to (roughly) warp 5.2 and the mattress achieves liftoff. It bounced once, I think, before I passed next to/underneath it and immediately pulled over. I whipped off my helmet, ran across the highway and tugged his new bed off the side. When he got there he said- "Geez I'm glad we didn't 'get' ya, I was watching." I'm not sure what he meant by that- and I didn't ask. After helping load it up, and showing him the correct way to mount/apply his ratchet straps- I was back on my way.

About two miles from my house I have to cut across a grocery store parking lot. I'm not sure why, but the little joint has parking for 72,000 cars. There is one side of a split four lane passing in one way on either side of the store. It's a bit busy, so people tend to "dart" out of the lot when they get a chance. So I've got about three cars in front of me as we approach the left into the lot. I note five or six cars in line to get out. All but myself and the car in front of me changed lanes, and about four cars pour out of the lot- leaving Darla (names have been changed to protect the identities of those involved) in her brand new navy blue GMC/Ford/Chrysler Abrams tank for soccer moms. The car infront of me turns into the lot, and I proceed- about 50 feet behind. But Darla has had enough waiting and just pulls right on out. She notices me about, I don't know, roughly the time that my rear tire screeched on the damp pavement and kicked a foot or so out from underneath me. By the time I'm righted and stopped- she's about half a foot from my left side, stopped across the lane and staring...I honk, she stares, I give the international sign of adoration, she stares. We're at an angle, so I have nowhere to proceed forward but a grass bank. So I kicked her passenger side door about as hard as I could from the sitting position. At which point she immediately sped off.

God I freak'in hate Altoids.
    Last edited by Free Coffee; 04-07-2009, 10:48 AM.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
    -Travis of the Cosmos

OMG, that's a great story. Well written!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Altoids, Walruses... A woman name John...

What's this all about Buckaroo?

Comment

dang, sounds like one eventful day. good lookin forward though

Comment

The important thing here is me, right?

Glad you're ok, nice story, glad you didnt wreck your bike, and such...something something...
          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
          Semper Fi

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            Altoids, Walruses... A woman name John...

What's this all about Buckaroo?
            I ask myself that same question every morning.
            But to clarify- People of Altoona = Altoids
            Altoids < Your standard human being

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
            -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Originally posted by Free Coffee View Post
              I ask myself that same question every morning.
              But to clarify- People of Altoona = Altoids
              Altoids < Your standard human being
              cool story hansel

Comment

Funny story, but the whole time I was reading it I was wondering how the curiously strong mint was going to make its appearance...
                2006 Katana 600
                sigpic

Comment

yeah i have to say i almost expected something like altoids in a gas tank or something....

Comment

Dingo!
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Haha, rock on. There's a story for posterity, eh?

Nothing like a hit-and-run cager to get the hackles up ><

--B

Comment

Good thing you were thinking and kept your distance from the truck with the bed instead of tailing him and ending up with a mattress for a hat.

I'm certainly blessed that my commute route is not typically crowded to the point that people start making really bad decisions.
                        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Glad their are a couple of competent riders, (yourself included). Alot of riders would have been riding his *** pushing him up the road... so kudo's to you my friend. Around here it seems like that kind of stuff comes and goes, on monday I could ride 4 hours, and treated like a king on the road, thursday, someone would almost have to be suicidal to go out riding (days used for examples) ... , perhaps cagers are bi-polar
                          Currently Riding:
                          1995 Katana 600
                          V&H Exhaust
                          Jet Kit

SOLD
                          2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
                          1987 XV700 Bobber
                          REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

yup, thats PA... normal on the sides, Kentucky in the middle!

See My Garage for mods...
                            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
                            X