X

Advice Needed on Kat in shop

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice Needed on Kat in shop

I suppose I should begin at the beginning. Names and locations are not accurate for reasons to be explained below

December 2007, Dave, a buddy of mine is opening up a performance tuning shop in Columbus. I met Dave through a mutual friend about a year and a half prior, but we have become decent friends since then. Dave asks me in passing if I would be willing to loan him my Kat 600 so he can play with some of the engine tuning, as he has not tuned motorcycles before, only cars. I know Dave's experience is vast, and given his track record (Lamborghini's, Ferrari, quite a few Vette's) I have no problem with this.

Fast forward to March 1st, 2008. I am away for a week and a half on business, so I called him up and asked if he could take it from the house. He agrees, and picks it up. The original verbal agreement was as follows:

Dave and the shop would fabricate a complete exhaust system at no cost to me.
    We would prep rashed fairings, and Dave would re-paint using paint supplied by Dave in his cousin's paint booth outside Columbus.
    All other work would be done by me, with materials paid for by me, with the bike ready to go by June 1st. 3 months shop time.

First entrance into the shop finds my Kat has been dropped. Rash to the signal generator cover, broken left footpeg, and a little rash to the front fender and rear tail plastics. Not thrilled, but given the deal I'm getting, I let this slide. Start ordering replacement parts.

I come into the shop every now and again to smack around some of the rashed fairing pieces, but the only metalwork progress is that Dave took off the exhaust, cut the muffler into pieces, removed all the wadding, and cut the ends off the header in preparation to weld them back onto larger steel pipe. No change from this for 3 months. There was one false start on paint, I went to my company's paint booth (which I didn't want to use for the final coat) to test shoot some paint he sourced. Turns out it was some trim only paint, and that it wasn't useful for our purposes. On about July/August I start coming back in there almost every day after work to prep the plastics, it takes me almost a month but I finally got them all to my satisfaction. During this time I'm also working on wiring red LED's, replaced some of the other parts damaged during earlier drops, brake pad replace, rear rotor replace, chain clean, so on and so on. Anything to keep busy and stay in the shop so I can make the bike a little more noticeable and not have it blend into the wall.

To make an even longer story short, him and I dance around paint for 10 more months, he oscillates from "some guy down the street that's realy good but he hasn't had power for 3 months since the windstorm" to his "cousin that tends to fall off the face of the earth for a while then pop up spontaneously". Finally last month I told him that enough was enough, I would be handling the paint outright. Got a quote for $550, parts are there now. As far as the metalwork goes, every single time I ask him for a schedule, plan, or status, I get the f-off answer "I think I can do it this weekend, sure", or when I told him I was leaving for Vegas for 5 days and if it can be done when I get back "I don't see a problem with that". Coming back, now it's "I ran out of welding gas." Last time I heard that, I went out and bought a canister of argon on my lunch break because he had been using it as an excuse for almost a week and a half.

My one and only question is this: The Kat has been in this shop for 13 months, and shows no immediate signs of coming out anytime soon. Given our original agreement, the fact that none of this is written down, and the time and effort already put forth, what recourse do I have or would you use to spring my bike out? Going into this I did have a bank lien on it, that has since been paid and I now own it free and clear. I'm just at my wits end, and am really tired of feeling trapped with no other option but to wait it out and continue to micromanage and hound him with dubious results.

Sorry for the Tolstoy, but if you're down this far, thanks for reading.

dude , since there was no written agreement and he is " your friend " . i would just go over there and pickup the bike and bring it home . be nice , but insist on taking it . if he says that he'll get started on it tomorrow if you just " give him more time " tell it's cool and no thanks . lesson learned . move on

Comment

Lesson learned.

Go get the bike.

Tell him you won't be recommending him to anyone.

Comment

I'd get the bike also...no threats or insults though, it would eventually come back on you. I once took a kayak trailer (real thing, not a home job) into a friend's place with a cracked axle. We agreed on $100 to put on one he would fabricate. I made the first phone call (off season for kayaking here) six months later...made four more visits...and a year and a month later told him I was coming to get it..."Well, I'll have it ready for you by tomorrow." And he did. I think the $100 was cheap, but it took over a year to get the trailer back. I was a gentleman about it all, and he's still my friend. But I've "been there". I'd just go get the bike and forget about the deal. You've been very patient. I applaud that!
        Last edited by zuma; 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

It's your bike, go get it. There was never a written agrement between you and the shop. The job was originated as mutually beneficial, but he let his end fall (and your bike!).

Let us know how it turns out.
          -Izzy

"If you're gonna be a turd, go lay on the lawn."
          -My wife

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
            I'd get the bike also...no threats or insults though, it would eventually come back on you. I once took a kayak trailer (real thing, not a home job) into a friend's place with a cracked axle. We agreed on $100 to put on one he would fabricate. I made the first phone call (off season for kayaking here) six months later...made four more visits...and a year and a month later told him I was coming to get it..."Well, I'll have it ready for you by tomorrow." And he did. I think the $100 was cheap, but it took over a year to get the trailer back. I was a gentleman about it all, and he's still my friend. But I've "been there". I'd just go get the bike and forget about the deal. You've been very patient. I applaud that!
            This (as well as gazoo's and ctandc's solution) is I think the only option I have left. I've already talked about giving him money as a motivator, he says he doesn't want it. It seems to me my only play, assuming he doesn't come through this weekend as promised (not optimistic) is to call his bluff and take the bike. The only problem I have with that is now I'm stuck with the bill for a complete exhaust, since he already chopped up the old one. Any ideas on that, or am I chalking that up to part of the learning fee?

Comment

cut your losses and get the bike! check ebay for exhaust. hard lesson to learn but we all have had to at one time or another
              sigpic

Comment

I think I'd walk away from it as is. It will cost you to replace the exhaust, but I'm of the mind that he will realize this and will eventually compensate you down the line somehow...however, you might do well to just forget about it, and should he come through, it will be a pleasant surprise. We never know what burdens the other fellow is carrying.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                  I think I'd walk away from it as is. It will cost you to replace the exhaust, but I'm of the mind that he will realize this and will eventually compensate you down the line somehow...however, you might do well to just forget about it, and should he come through, it will be a pleasant surprise. We never know what burdens the other fellow is carrying.
                  I would rather spend a grand for an replacement exhaust than walk away from a bike I have almost $5500 in between purchase price and parts for a completely indeterminate amount of time. We talk all the time about the shop, so I know what he's got going on.

Comment

I agree. Walk in, grab bike, walk out. It might be hard but try not to get personal, keep it business. Treat yourself to a full yoshi exhaust system or similar and go riding as much as you can.

Comment

i would tell him that i was going to to take it back if it isn't done by a certain point. if you're lucky he'll get it done, if not, well you gave him fair warning and has only himself to blame.

good luck

Comment

Isn't there a yosh 4-1 somewhere in the WTS section? Might help.

"People rike me. Because I force them to. With viorence!"
                        -Travis of the Cosmos

Comment

Go get the bike. It's yours. I don't do favor business with friends. Business is business.

Comment

What year Kat do you have? I have my stock exhaust left over (2006 750). I'll give it to ya, if it'll fit. I took the stock pipe and can off, and replaced with a D&D slip on, so you'd have to get headers...but the rear pipe and can are, again yours if they'll fit. Let me know if this is an option for ya...
                            ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                            チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                            Semper Fi

Comment

Bring the bike home. You learned an expensive 18 month lesson.

I hear there's a guy in columbus that might be painting now....
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X