Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Craigslist parts bike: How much is this worth?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craigslist parts bike: How much is this worth?

I have been looking on this possible parts bike for some time now, but the owner is delusional. I want to know how much is a reasonable offer for this bike.

It is a 1996 Katana 750 with 17,000 miles. The plastics appear to be in good condition. The person was asking $500. I emailed offering $300, 12 days ago. 3 days ago, she emailed me back saying she is willing to discuss the options.

I find out that the bike was not running. It last run at a bike shop 4 years ago, and she had her brother adjust the carbs and it didnt run since then.
    On top of this, it does not have a title. The bike shop supposedly took the bike for lack of payment from the previous owner, but never applied for a abandoned title.

So, it has no title, does not run.. How much do you think it is worth if I buy it and part it out? I want to get some parts from it, but I want to know the value of it.
    Roops Photography|facebook|
    03 GSXR 1000
    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Well, price is subjective, but...

How much are you looking at paying for the parts you need if you buy them seperately? Would seem it's worth at least that much if you have more parts left over to part out and sell to get some cash back.

Honestly I think you can easily get $500 out of it from just parting it out alone.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Personally I would never buy a bike without a title, especially one that comes with a story that makes it sound like it was taken without permission (AKA stolen). That being said, $300 doesn't sound like a bad price. You could easily make $500 from the parts assuming everything is in ok shape. I paid $300 for my 92 kat 600 with 29k, bad paint, and an engine that turned over but didn't run. Make sure you get a bill of sale if you do buy it, even if you're parting it out.
      sigpic
      »Ross Wendell
      »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

No title. No idea if the bike is running. No idea of the condition of the carbs. No idea on the motor.

To me, it's only worth it's weight as scrap then... and $300 is about fair.

If you think the plastic is in decent enough condition (upon close inspection) I would go $500 because you can make $500 back on the plastics. $150 each for the upper left and right.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You could get more then $500 IMO. But you can't sell the engine or frame without the prober title..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
            You could get more then $500 IMO. But you can't sell the engine or frame without the prober title..
            But in unknown condition, and it doesn't run or start?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i just picked up a 750 with 11000 miles for 200 without title its going to be hard to sell as whole bike

Comment

She is adamant that I can get a title for it, but I think she just shooting up steam. She took a long time to respond to my original offer of $300, but I made the offer before I knew about the title situation. The plastics doesnt seem bad, but are you sure that I can get about $150 for each of the plastic uppers? That seem kind of high. I think I got mine for $75 when I bought it for my last kat.

I live in an apt. Do you think it could still work if I part it out from the apt parking lot? Right now. I have my jetski and my kat using up one parking space. I do not think adding another bike should be a big deal.

She wants to stick to her $500 now. I offered her $300 again and I am awaiting her response. She is confident she can get it sold, but it has been a while for her. I hope that she breaks soon. What do you think? Would $500 still be worth it for the work that I am putting into it? Would I simply break even, with all the work I put in, or would I make a profit?
                Roops Photography|facebook|
                03 GSXR 1000
                04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
                Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Depends on what parts you are keeping for yourself.

IF the uppers aren't all rashed and cracked, with all tabs intact, You can $125-150 each on ebay.

Tank, if not rusted and all dented, should get $100.

Rears are hit or miss. Figure $25 each maybe.

Rims...probably $50-75 each.

Gauges in good shape maybe $50-75

Seat in GC $40-60

HTH

Comment

Seems I may be looking for a left upper LOL
                    Always count on hitting pavement twice. First time from inexperience, the second from thinking you are experienced!

"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me! "

Comment

Originally posted by professorman View Post
                      I live in an apt. Do you think it could still work if I part it out from the apt parking lot? Right now. I have my jetski and my kat using up one parking space. I do not think adding another bike should be a big deal.
                      An apartment parking lot is not a good place to part something out. It'll probably **** off your neighbors, it'll definitely **** off your landlord, and it'll probably get cops asking questions about this bike that you can't really legally prove you own. Not a good plan IMO
                      sigpic
                      »Ross Wendell
                      »1992 Katana 600, 1987 MR2 turbo, 2005 Corolla

Comment

Step 1: Find out the VIN. Call the cops and ask them if it was reported stolen at any point -- if so, give them her contact info. If not, continue -- go see the bike and see how good/bad a condition it's in...

Step 2: Find out what it would require to get a title in your state. In some states, we're talking about a search to track down the owner of record, attempts to contact them (certified mail), then if they don't respond (or do respond but release claim), posting a bond and getting a new title. That's a lot of leg-work and a lot of potential cost involved for a bike that may have a bad engine or tranny, or an uninsurable VIN. Calculate that up and subtract it from what you'd expect to pay for the bike with a healthy title in the same condition. That's the most you should be willing to pay come hades-or-high-tide.

Step 3: Contact Arsenic and ask him what he can normally get for a stripped out Kat from that year, and how many hours it typically takes to strip one. Figure if it takes 20 hours of labor to strip, clean, photo and list up on eBay enough parts to score you $1000 (after eBay fees), and you paid $300 for the bike and $200 for re-titling process, you made $25/hr on the stuff. That's really the bottom line if you're thinking about doing it for profit. Takes you 40 hours to strip, clean, photo & list, then you made $12.50 an hour...

Good Luck!
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

parts bike

its a deal at 500 or 300. this thing will fetch at least 2000 in parts once you part it down, running or not, title or not. if you are willing to take the time to part it down, you will make money. you could give the parts away and double your money

Comment

Craigslist 750 sale

I THINK YOU WOULD BE OK JUST MAKE SURE ITS NOT STOLEN BEFORE YOU BUY TAKE THE VIN TO THE POLICE DEP/DONUT GALLERY/ LOL RUN BACKGROUND I BOUGHT A 88 600 FOR PARTS W/ NO TITLE AN ITS GOOD AN RUNS AN HAVE LOTS OF 88 600 PARTS 423 470 5235

Comment

Originally posted by kycycles View Post
                              its a deal at 500 or 300. this thing will fetch at least 2000 in parts once you part it down, running or not, title or not. if you are willing to take the time to part it down, you will make money. you could give the parts away and double your money
                              What? Yeah $2000 if you are willing to ask higher prices and wait it out.

That's parting every tiny little piece...many of which you can sometimes hardly GIVE away.

Comment

Working...
                              X