X

a lil help for the noob

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a lil help for the noob

im both new to bikes and to this site. i want to get opinions on my problem here. i recently bought my bike and i have a slow oil leak. first what is the name of the part in the picture? its some kinda cover and i believe the gasket behind it is bent causing the oil to leak. any help is appreciated

'05 Katana 600
    DnD Slip On

sigpic

Welcome to KR

That would be the signal generator cover.
    You probably need a new gasket.
    You can actually take the cover off without draining the oil, at least if you have the bike on its center stand.
    You will however have to remove the main fairing to get to the bolt at the top of the cover. To remove the main fairing you have to remove the lower fairing and the right side mirror.

Might sound like a lot of work, but it is a real easy job.
    2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
      Welcome to KR

That would be the signal generator cover.
      You probably need a new gasket.
      You can actually take the cover off without draining the oil, at least if you have the bike on its center stand.
      You will however have to remove the main fairing to get to the bolt at the top of the cover. To remove the main fairing you have to remove the lower fairing and the right side mirror.

Might sound like a lot of work, but it is a real easy job.
      nah removing the fairings is fairly simple but u answered my next question about the oil. so as long as its up on the center stand i do NOT have to drain the oil first?
      '05 Katana 600
      DnD Slip On

sigpic

Comment

Not for that particular cover (signal generator cover)

Gasket runs about $5 through me (plus postage), and the picture seems to show no damages to the cover itself. Easy fix -- you might even just find some of the bolts loose (note: these bolts, like virtually all the bolts on the Katana, do NOT need gorilla strength to tighten -- since you're screwing steel bolts into aluminum threads, go easy; you only need enough torque on them to hold the gasket tight against oil).

Worst-case scenario is that you find someone else mangled the threads by over-tightening. If so, you'll need some form of thread-repair kit (helicoils or possibly even just permatex thread-repair compound).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by 05katblew View Post
          nah removing the fairings is fairly simple but u answered my next question about the oil. so as long as its up on the center stand i do NOT have to drain the oil first?
          I don't think so, but i would put it on the side stand, I know from experience that that will work fine.
          2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
            Not for that particular cover (signal generator cover)

Gasket runs about $5 through me (plus postage), and the picture seems to show no damages to the cover itself. Easy fix -- you might even just find some of the bolts loose (note: these bolts, like virtually all the bolts on the Katana, do NOT need gorilla strength to tighten -- since you're screwing steel bolts into aluminum threads, go easy; you only need enough torque on them to hold the gasket tight against oil).

Worst-case scenario is that you find someone else mangled the threads by over-tightening. If so, you'll need some form of thread-repair kit (helicoils or possibly even just permatex thread-repair compound).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet

The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
            ok great id like to grab one from u as soon as possible. there is some damage to the cover u just cant see it in that pic but its just scratched up nothing major. do u happen to sell the cover itself as well?
            '05 Katana 600
            DnD Slip On

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 05katblew View Post
              ok great id like to grab one from u as soon as possible. there is some damage to the cover u just cant see it in that pic but its just scratched up nothing major. do u happen to sell the cover itself as well?
              While I can order the cover new, I don't stock them. Arsenic may have one for sale (used) since he strips Kats & sells the parts -- send him a PM.

I'll send you a PM with the quote.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Trust CP to clarify and add some good points

Listen to this guy he knows what he is talking about.
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

thank you guys for your help. should have this fixed in no time!
                  '05 Katana 600
                  DnD Slip On

sigpic

Comment

Very pretty bike by the way...

Comment

Originally posted by yngveny View Post
                      Trust CP to clarify and add some good points

Listen to this guy he knows what he is talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by tomgiboney View Post
                        Very pretty bike by the way...

thank you!!
                        '05 Katana 600
                        DnD Slip On

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X