X

Awkward layout of bolts / screws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awkward layout of bolts / screws

Does anyone else find the placement of fastners on the Kat to be awkward? I have a 94 Kat 600, and some things are just impossible to get at easily.

I tried removing the fairing over the front wheel, and didn't manage to do it. I don't think it's possible without taking the whole wheel off because the wheel blocks access to the nuts inside the fairing holding the plastic to the metal plate between the forks.

Some fastners are blocked by the dual exhausts, especially around the rear wheel. I think there's a piece of rear fairing on one side that I can't remove at all, without taking the stock exhaust off.

What gives? How come some pieces are so difficult to remove?

You are correct on the front fender.

The rest, it all comes loose easily. Once you pull it once, you'll know from then on how to do it. Over the course of two paintjobs my kat endured and 1 wreck, I could pull the plastics off and put them back on in less then 20 mins.
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Comment

It's easiest for me to just take the wheel off when I need to remove the fender.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I had to remove my front wheel when I wanted to get the front fender off as well...took me a while to figure that out

Nic

Comment

Well, me being a dumass, I just replaced my fork seals and went to put the fender on and guess what. I had to pull the wheel off. Once you do something stupid, you will not do it again. Wheel off, fender off. Fender on, wheel on.

Comment

On my 06 Kat 600 I can remove my front fender w/o removing the wheel...????
            Talk about droppin your bike.... How about droppin it off the trailer bringing it home from the dealer with 1 mile on it.. Yep that's me...

Comment

The pre98, with the stock tires I have removed the fender without taking the wheel off. This does not work with a 120 tire on the front.

I've never tried on a 98+
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by zvisus View Post
                I have a 94 Kat 600
                Pre-Kat.

Originally posted by CuttinCorners View Post
                On my 06 Kat 600
                Post-Kat.

There were some pretty substantial changes to the fairings for the '98+ Kats, both in aesthetic design and physical engineering.

Some like the angles of the pre, I'm a fan of the more aerodynamic and organic look *grin*

Back on topic, I've not personally experienced problems reaching fasteners on my bike, but I've seen annoying-to-reach fairing bolts on other motorcycles. Seems to me that'd be an important engineering focus, eh? As often as I strip off my bike's fairings, my my buddies joke about getting a stopwatch and timing me *grin*

--B

Comment

Working...
                X