X

Weight Reduction?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thomas Dylan View Post
    But if you ever get a chance to ride an old 70's Triumph twin take for a spin it's feels like a bicycle with 50hp, very nice. Light is nice.
    Should have gotten a triumph scrambler

Because of how/where the weight sits on the Kat, it is unlikely that you can crash-diet the bike enough to make it feel anything like the triumph. Everything from the cradle around the engine to the width of the four-cylinder contradicts the light feeling, and as far as I can tell, intentionally so (heavier has some advantages in the real-world, particularly in terms of sprung-vs-unsprung weight and how that affects road-holding on bad pavement).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
    CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
    The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Here's what I have done

750 top clamp replaced with 600 clamp
      replace the bars and bar end weights with vortex aluminum bars and plastic bar ends
      metal fork spacer replaced with plastic
      center stand
      luggage bars
      drill headlight support bracket
      comp works GP pegs
      18" hindle pipe
      vortex front sprocket ( not much difference there)
      fender chop
      I run with 1/2 tank of fuel or less
      I even removed the steel support from under the plastic chain quard.

I had an alluminum tank brace made up but the aluminum was actually haveier then the thin wall steel

there are a few other thing to but thats the most important ones
      I started to drop the weight on my bike to improve the handling for track days
      Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-02-2009, 10:02 AM.
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Dylan View Post
        I5) aluminum rear sprocket
        I would stick to the steel sprockets due to the fact the the heavy Kat would ruin an aluminum sprocket!

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
        The most effective weight reducing mod I did was changing from this:

to this:

Lost almost 100 lbs
        Wouldn't if have been easier to buy a new Yamaha then to strip down the Kat to make it look like a Yamaha?
        Last edited by DreKat; 04-02-2009, 10:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
          Wouldn't if have been easier to buy a new Yamaha then to strip down the Kat to make it look like a Yamaha?

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by aaron210 View Post
            Remove center stand if you don't use it.

Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

Does anyone know the weight of the center stand?

What is the weight savings of going to an post 4 into 1 exhaust over my 2 into 1 setup?

I have a street fightered '90 750. I weighed my stock gauges, headlight, fairing stay, and front fender, all which have been removed. And it totaled 11lbs. I'm hoping to swap on an aluminum subframe.

I'm hoping to end up 20lbs lighter over stock..

Comment

i am swaping my frame with gsxr aluminium frame

weight reduction is better than adding power, because you get more power to weight ratio but less weigth so it is yeasier to handle

as if you you woant to ride alone i suggest to cut the whole rear sub frame and mad your own, no matter steel or aluminium it will be far leighter than the stock one

chain conversion! 530 to 520 chain and sprockets
                the chain alone is not so leighter but the sprockets are, and if you puit aluminium it will be even better

smaller battery- will be harder to start, but........ leighter

new wheels and rear swing
                not talking about magnesium, but some newer bike wheels and aluminium swing....also will gain stability
                Live to ride,
                Ride KATANA!

Comment

Personally I'm not a big fan of aluminum sprockets. They wear out too fast.

Comment

I'm not a big fan of ancient threads, but to each their own I guess.....

I run a much smaller battery (I can't remember the part number at the moment, but it's tiny) and it only ever cranks slowly when it's around 40 degrees out. In mild weather it's fine.
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

2 zombie threads in one day? THis guy is legend...
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                        I'm not a big fan of ancient threads, but to each their own I guess.....

I run a much smaller battery (I can't remember the part number at the moment, but it's tiny) and it only ever cranks slowly when it's around 40 degrees out. In mild weather it's fine.
                        That would be a YB12A bettery (I read it in your post):

I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
                        -Unholy m-
                        Current project: Un-Katchable
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chrisgreer23 View Post
                          That would be a YB12A bettery (I read it in your post):

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...maller+battery
                          Nah, that one didn't end up fitting once I had the ignitor, ignition switch and relays shoved in there as well. I do still have a 12-series battery though if anybody lives close and needs it!

I believe the number on my current battery is a 9, but I don't remember the letters. It's very small.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

is a sealed battery the larger the number the larger the battery
                            Stock is a 9 on the post and I think a 10 on the pre.

A sealed YTX9BS is a bout the smallest and lightest you will want to go on either bike.
                            put to small of a battery or two large and its much harder on the charging system and the battery.
                            98 GSX750F
                            95 Honda VT600 vlx
                            08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

This thread is old but if I had started a new one people would have said "Do a search." You can't win. I'm still hoping for #'s on exhaust weight differences..

Comment

i am thinking of using UPS battery instead of motorcycle battery
                                there are 12V 1,2A batteries that weight about half a kilo and will work on bike, but...... there is a "but"- you can`t use you strater motor with it and will have to push the bike to start
                                Live to ride,
                                Ride KATANA!

Comment

Working...
                                X