X

Cleaning wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning wheels

What's everybody use to clean their wheels? This Kat I bought had sat in storage and also wasn't cleaned very well when stored, so there's alot of chain oil on the rear wheel. Any tricks or miracle cleaners for this?
    Thanks !!!
    I love chrome like a fat kid loves cake !!!

2003 Harley Ultra ( I'm 49 years old ! )

1998 Kat GSX600F ( I'm 49 years young ! ) Gone, but never forgotten, great bike !!!

I use "greased lightning". It seems to cut through that kind of stuff pretty good.

Comment

i use simple green

Comment

Originally posted by zcphoto View Post
        i use simple green
        Former Marine 3/97-3/01
        MOS 0161 Semper FI!
        sigpic

Comment

I use "Simple Green". Just recently tried this foaming version, I'm going back an buy every can that cycle Gear has left, work great on the car too!! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...t=simple+green
          This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
          BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

I use a half a 'red cup' of steaming tap water, mixed with a 'half cup' of concentrated simple green. Applied carefully and scrubbed with a tooth brush. Wipe with a rag to remove residue.

You never want to get a degreasing agent on, or near the wheel bearings.

You should avoid using pressure washers as well as they can break down the grease in those areas.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

i use this stuff from the dollar store and though i have never used said simple green, this stuff works WONDERS for the price, its called totally awesome its a yellow liquid comes in a clear bottle...
              2000 Katana- vance and hines exhaust 03+ rear end, 14/48 sprockets, stage 1 jet kit, 5 degree ignition advancer, WANT B12 HEADER

1997 S10- 3/4 drop on 20 inch rims, tinted tails, shaved doors, tailgate, antenna, 12 inch orion sub with 1200 watt orion amp, hvac controls relocated in glove box, sony head unit with infinity components, smoothed and painted dash parts, chrome window cranks and shifter, too much to list

Comment

Kerosene...no elbow greese same for chain as per manual.
                2004 GSX750F

Comment

Eagle One wheel cleaner for painted wheels and a good amount of scrubbing. I've also used Goop hand cleaner when I didn't have a water source nearby, works great.
                  Last edited by Trackerrrr; 04-01-2009, 10:49 AM.
                  Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                  Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

I use WD40. Spray it on paper towel and wipe grease and oil right off the wheel. Also works to remove grease from other parts as well, kick stand, chain guard... I never spray directly on the bike.
                    How is my manner of life working out for you?

Comment

I use Spray Nine and or SOS pads (but never use SOS pads on paint.

Comment

Sludge Away by Moose Racing Products.
                        Comes in a 16 ounce container with their pass-through chain cleaner, or can be purchased separately in 16, 64 and 128 ounce [1-gal] sizes. 16 ounces typically lasts a year, washing both the chains and the wheels. The stuff is generally fantastic -- pour on sponge, sponge on dry (oil coated) whatever, rub if necessary, rinse with garden hose. Once I turned SpecialK on to it, he swore by it as well. 1 Gal size typically costs about $27, and your local dealer should be able to order it via their PartsUnlimited catalog.

TIPS:
                        Never use scotchbrite (esp. green, intended for steel), steel wool, or any other serious scrubbers on your wheels -- it will damage the finish. Instead use degreaser chemicals that do the heavy work with a rag or sponge.
                        Be careful to keep most degreasers off your tire rubber. Degreasers will tend to remove the VOC's in the rubber, making the rubber age prematurely. Thus, use only enough to swab the metal until you rinse -- don't pour/spray on and have the strong stuff run down your tires to sit for a while before you spray the bike down with water.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                        CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                        The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

OUCH !!!!! Used a Scotchbrite already with the Simple Green. Live and learn. For what it's worht, they did a good job.
                          Thanks for the replies.
                          I love chrome like a fat kid loves cake !!!

2003 Harley Ultra ( I'm 49 years old ! )

1998 Kat GSX600F ( I'm 49 years young ! ) Gone, but never forgotten, great bike !!!

Comment

Steam cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
                              Steam cleaner.
                              That's actually a pretty darn good idea... what's a cheap one cost these days?

Just gotta keep it away from cheap rubber tire valves...

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X