Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Transporting two bikes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Transporting two bikes

    Hey all,
    So I'm going to pick up two new GSXF 650's for my inlaws and was wondering if anyone had any pics or advise on strapping two in the bed of a pickup truck? Still might ride them back, if my bud will come along since my inlaws don't have their licenses yet.

    TIA
    Dave
    Last edited by Astro4x4; 03-29-2009, 10:33 AM.
    2000 Katana 600
    2011 Triumph Sprint GT
    __________________________________________
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find ya handy."
    ____________________________________________

  • #2
    well, i have no pics, but i can suggest, cause i have done this, to drive one in and back the other in....that should keep them from rubbin against each other
    89 kat 750
    2X 85 fz 750
    03 1100 v-star
    86 fz600 gawd I love this bike!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
      Hey all,
      So I'm going to pick up two new GSXF 650's for my inlaws and was wondering if anyone had any pics or advise on strapping two in the bed of a pickup truck? Still might ride them back, if my bud will come along since my inlaws don't have their licenses yet.

      TIA
      Dave
      inlaws got the buggy in front of the horse??
      bikes before licences
      Make sure the read up on graduated licence

      How about one in the bed and one on a trailer?

      Heck I would ALMOST be willing to ride one home for you guys but the weather forcast is crap for next couple days and I am guessing you are picking up in TO and back to Ingersol
      WATCH out for HUGE POT HOLES on the 401 , was down to the airport this morning and she's a mess
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

      Comment


      • #4
        I hauled 2 bikes in the back of a Dakota around 1600miles round trip to So Cal and back the beginning of Mar. What I did it strapped both front ends in seperately, then strapped the outside rear of each bike to the hook on that side, then strapped the bikes together to keep enough tension to hold them straight. I could probably have just tied them together in the center (if I had a center stand on the Kat to hold it up), then just straped outside corners of each bike without having any problems.
        http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...&postcount=360
        Last edited by Psycho1; 03-29-2009, 03:42 PM.
        John,
        '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Dave, how far away are the bikes? Are the "secret" presents, or do they know about them?

          I ask, because if we're talking under 50 miles, it'd be best if you actually rode them home to help wear in the tires, the engines, bed in the brakes in a way newbies aren't apt to do well.

          Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

          __________________________________________________ ________
          CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
          The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
          Remember The CyberPoet

          Comment


          • #6
            I say ride em.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Astro4x4 View Post
              Hey all,
              So I'm going to pick up two new GSXF 650's for my inlaws and was wondering if anyone had any pics or advise on strapping two in the bed of a pickup truck? Still might ride them back, if my bud will come along since my inlaws don't have their licenses yet.

              TIA
              Dave
              We talking a full size truck, or a midsize truck?

              If you're talking about a fullsize, you shouldn't have a problem. If you're talking a midsize, then it may be a bit more challenging. I've hauled two bikes in my '04 Colorado without a problem, although they weren't the exact same, one was a 750 and one was a 600 which may have been lowered (I can't remember). I was able to put them both in facing the same way, although I'm not sure whether you'd be able to do the same with two of the same bikes.

              I don't think I've got any decent pics of the two of them in there, although I remember that I had to run the tie down on the handlebar on the inside of each bike through the front wheel of the other. Not sure whether that makes sense or not.

              Here's a couple of the pics I've got, but as I said, don't really show how they were tied down.




              Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                inlaws got the buggy in front of the horse??
                bikes before licences
                Ya, just a little, but there's no talking any sense to either one of them.

                Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                I hauled 2 bikes in the back of a Dakota around 1600miles round trip to So Cal and back the beginning of Mar. What I did it strapped both front ends in seperately, then strapped the outside rear of each bike to the hook on that side, then strapped the bikes together to keep enough tension to hold them straight. I could probably have just tied them together in the center (if I had a center stand on the Kat to hold it up), then just straped outside corners of each bike without having any problems.
                http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...&postcount=360
                I was thinking something similar.

                Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                Dave, how far away are the bikes? Are the "secret" presents, or do they know about them?

                I ask, because if we're talking under 50 miles, it'd be best if you actually rode them home to help wear in the tires, the engines, bed in the brakes in a way newbies aren't apt to do well.

                Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet

                __________________________________________________ ________
                CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                Oh they know about them. It's about 117 miles. Good idea on the break in, never thought of that.

                Originally posted by naskie18 View Post
                We talking a full size truck, or a midsize truck?
                Full size truck, so from what I see from everyone's pics, they'll fit no problem.

                So I was talking with my mother in-law tonight and she offered to buy me a comm system of some type if I ride with her and the sister in-law. hmmmmm
                So Sat is pic up the bikes in Newmarket, then Sunday is pick up the Vette in Stouffville, guess I'm booked this weekend and will have to work on the Kat at work to get her finished up.
                Thanks for the tips guys.
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT
                __________________________________________
                "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find ya handy."
                ____________________________________________

                Comment


                • #9
                  Go and pick one up. then drive back. pick the other one up. More riding time!!!
                  Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                  Current Bikes:
                  1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                  2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow Naskie I didn't think you could fit two bikes in a Colorado, way to prove me wrong bro
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

                    Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      stack them!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        Wow Naskie I didn't think you could fit two bikes in a Colorado, way to prove me wrong bro
                        Gotta make the truck work every now and then, can't pamper it too much
                        Nick www.naskie18.com Googletalk: naskie18 AIM: naskie18

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          2 things I've learned from tying things down for a living:
                          1. If you need better angles or more points to tie something down just run a chain between two tie-down points and hook the straps to wherever is convenient on the chain.
                          2. Be really careful how tight you strap the front ends of the bikes. Too tight and you blow the fork seals. Anymore, I don't use ratchet straps on the front of the bike, just those ones you pull to tighten. Have someone compress the forks a bit while you pull on the strap. You'll get it more than tight enough. The guy who sold/traded me for my Kat hauled it down from Ohio to Arkansas. Arrived with blown seals. He then hauled the trade bike (a GSX1100G) back to Ohio and blew the seals. 2 for 2 with the ratchet straps.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

                          17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            PM Junior or Range. Im sure they put both Daytonas in the back of the F150 to the Gap

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i know i can fit probably three bikes in my dads f250 if i get creative(and they are all small 600's, but only 2 kats)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X